Goodfellas Remastered In 4k Coming May 5th !!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The fact that it's a brand-new remaster/restoration supervised by Scorsese himself is what's compelling me to get the 25th Anniversary blu-ray..."GoodFellas" going to look the way the director WANTS it to look on a hi-def screen!!!:thumbsup:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Plus that soundtrack in lossless !!!!!!!!!

lukejosephchung likes this.
  3. Pre-order is already up at Amazon.com...MSRP is $34.99 and they're discounting it 30% to $24.49...:goodie:

4. Myke

Yep, pre ordered about 90 minutes ago.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Do I amooze you? Do I make you laugh?

Great movie. I gotta watch this again.

That's true, but note that many films are quietly being remastered in 4K, and that alone does not guarantee good mastering decisions or good pictures. Pretty much all the film work I did over the past decade was done from Spirit 4K scanners, so technically the image started out as a 4K image, even when it wound up as HD. So it's kind of a misnomer.

Working from the original camera negative does make a difference in terms of detail, but there can be compromises in image quality in some cases, particularly in highlight detail. But Warner MPI in Burbank (where this film was mastered) generally does terrific work and they have excellent people over there.

chilinvilin and hi_watt like this.
  6. Myke

Good to hear. Obviously I'm more than a little excited by this.

7. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Me either. Anytime it's on the tube, I'll sneak a peak to see where the movie is. Looking forward to this long-awaited re-master. My favorite mob movie hands down.

8. Also helps to have the director himself supervising the image harvest & restoration work...:winkgrin:

Vidiot, Dave and Myke like this.
  9. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

BB actually having this when it comes out? That could be a stretch.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  10. Myke

That's what I posted at Blu-ray.com, but just got quoted and " corrected " ? :

" No, this release won't be ready for the hardware when it gets here... it's still only a 1080p downconvert on regular Blu-ray. For a 2160p version you will need an Ultra HD Blu-ray release taken from the new 4k restoration master, a new Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and a compliant UHD TV. "

Any comment here @Vidiot ? Looking at this guy's other posts, he comes across as either a windbag know-it-all, or an insider.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  11. True 4k-resolution blu-ray discs/players won't be available until around October...the standards won't be set until June!!!

12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

When I say the work is done what I mean is, previously there was no digital 4K raw master of Goodfellas which is what you'd need as the starting point for the upcoming Ultra HD format.

To put it into perspective, there exists 24/192 archives of the Beatles original stereo analogue tapes now. Should they wish to release a Blu-ray Audio of the stereo collection of The Beatles all they have to do is complete the eq touches, etc., that they did on the 24/44.1 version and author the Blu-ray. What comprises the vast majority of the work, archiving the analogue tapes, is already completed.

When they release a 4K disc of Goodfellas they've already done all the work, they just have to compress to whatever codec they're using and author the new disc.

EDIT - having read your post I see where you made an error, you said "the discs will be ready for the hardware when it gets here" when my post says "the work is already done" meaning they now have a 4K DI to create a new 4K BD from. Yes you will absolutely need to have a 4K player and 4K TV to realize the full resolution of the upcoming format. We expect discs to start coming out before the end of the year. I will upgrade discs like Goodfellas and Taxi Driver when I eventually get a 4K OLED which is probably a long time away given current financial situation and crappy CDN>US exchange rate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I'm not negative, but I am cautious. Hopefully my Panasonic Plasma lasts long enough to see if 4K takes off. It certainly looks good on the demo disks I've seen in the stores.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. Myke

Okay, so keeping things simple, and not shoeing every horse in the barn...

These current 4k remasters are NOT the discs that the upcoming 4k technology will require. Those are yet to come.
    Got it.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Don't most 1980's to early-90's movies look rather crappy in terms of picture quality, even with a good HD mastering? Compared to 1960's and 70's classics (some shot in 70mm) and todays digital movies.

16. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

Isn't there a fairly lengthy segment of the movie that has a prominent vertical pink scratch? I think it's been in every version of the film, I suppose it was damaged from near or at the very beginning and can't be easily fixed (or fixed at all) but does anyone know the story on this?

17. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Joe Pesci is not amused by that cover.

Hutch likes this.
  18. Myke

Please don't. The OCDs at the Blu ray site I frequent have been wringing their hands over that for 24 hours now.
    Pathetic, and a little frightening.
    Like the Slipcover People.
    Creepy.

Roninblues, Hutch and hi_watt like this.
  19. I'm a member there too, MYKE...the people who've been posting at that website about this are over-the-top NUTS...I've been afraid to look into that thread since the announcement was made yesterday!!!:p

Myke likes this.
  20. Myke

Yeah. As OCD as folks can get here...they're twice as disturbing. Really can make you uncomfortable...human skin lampshade freaky.

21. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Yes. A double dipping of tomfllery. :D

22. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I got my Blu Ray for $5, so this purchase won't be a painful double dip.

Myke likes this.
  23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

No the kids would never use that term now, it's 80s British slang. I'm Scottish and 41, I'm clearly not cool anymore and I finally accepted it around my 40th birthday. Sometimes I even say "Fab".

(Although my fam did buy me 10 laps in a Ferrari F430 for my 40th birthday and most kids would think that was pretty bloody cool!)

[​IMG]

Myke likes this.
  24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Blanket statements are hard to make, it completely depends on how the movie was shot and what look the cinematographer was going for and THEN what source material still exists and what effort the studio wants to put into it. I'm thrilled with how great the 25th Anniversary release of Stand By Me looks, whereas Predator looks like gash. The latter is a good example, Fox put out Predator with very little effort but at least didn't go gung ho over removing grain like Universal have been guilty of for many catalogue titles, then they reissued it again and made Predator the poster child for egregious digital noise reduction.

When a director like Spielberg or Scorsese gets involved it usually gives one reason to breathe a sigh of relief, they help prevent the studio from being their own worst enemy. Not surprisingly Universal's reissues of Spielberg catalogue titles have been amongst the best reissues they've done.

25. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Scorsese said they did two takes of the scene. The better-acted take had the scratch on the negative.

Third Walt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.