Goodfellas Remastered In 4k Coming May 5th !!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's correct. To see faux-4K (3840×2160), you'll need a new player, new disc, new monitor, and a new HDMI cable. Throw everything out and start again. What they're selling now is just a downcoversion... but it should "in theory" look better than the old transfer.

True 4K is 4096x2160, but they couldn't figure out a way to shove a signal that big down an HDMI cable, so they dropped the resolution as a compromise. They claim they'll eventually be able to add 10-bit color and even Rec2020 color space, but I'll believe that when it happens. Hell, if they could just make a consumer HD set for $995 that could do the 15-year-old Rec709 HD standard, I'd be happy.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Keep the $$$ flowing......:sigh:

3. Never owned it on blu...or DVD, so I'm in. But reviews first. Nothing is a day one purchase for me anymore...well, except the new Sleater-Kinney record.

EDIT: I never care about packaging, but I must admit the absence of Pesci on the cover is strange. (And it just generally sucks in an airbrushed, photoshopped, digital way.)

4. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

You won't need a new HDMI cable. Any HDMI cable at regular lengths should adequately pass a 4K60 signal or higher. Those category 1 cables are certified to pass 4.6 Gbps but that doesn't mean they won't pass 4x that bandwidth, only that they pass HDMI tests up to that bandwidth. Category 2 cables are certified up to 10.2 Gbps which is what the HDMI group recommends for 4K but I'd wager the vast majority of Cat1 HDMI cables will pass 4KBD when it arrives with no issues.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#123

However you can fully expect monsters like Monster to cleverly market their cables in such a manner that the uninformed consumer will think they need a new super duper fast speed HDMI cable.

jeffrey walsh, chilinvilin and Vidiot like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I demand 4K 60P 3D Rec2020 16-bit HDR! :)

lukejosephchung likes this.
  6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

You ever considered coming to the HDTV shootout in Scarsdale, NY? I've driven 7 hours from Canada down to it the last two years. Joe Kane and Dr. Larry Weber presented at the most recent event and it was informative and enjoyable to hear their thoughts and hopes for the future.

7. Updating this thread to inform fans of this movie that world-renown film restorer Robert Harris has reviewed his preview copy of this release, giving both picture and sound 5-star ratings and ending his review with "Very highly recommended"...I think this one's safe to get, people...:wave::righton:

Myke, dobyblue, mj_patrick and 2 others like this.
  8. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Woo! Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to this. I'll donate my old copy.

Michael likes this.
  9. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Got my copy today - will watch it over the weekend...

Myke likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, as it worthless in trade or sale! someone will get to enjoy Goodfellas...I have the 2 DVD set and I'm happy with it.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Let us know how it is.

13. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

14. Michael

15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I like this one. One dog goes one way, and the other dog goes the other way.

Myke and hi_watt like this.
  16. Michael

nothing unusual about that!

17. Michael

aren't you excited in re-buying your movie collection in 4K? the studios sure are...

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm skeptical that a 4K physical format is gonna arrive in stores anytime soon.

mj_patrick likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man, I love this film and I too just keep buying it. But, for the new commentary, if the price is reasonable I will spring for it yet again! I figure if they get all the main actors back into a room to discuss it, that alone is worth $30.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Hey, easy there. Vidiot contributes all the time, his posts are very insightful and I know most of us appreciate his often lengthy and informative posts. And yes, he is on the inside and knows more than most of us will ever know about his industry.

21. Michael

you didn't answer the question.

Larry Mc likes this.
  22. Goodfellas was the first blu-ray I bought, in 2006. The picture and sound are out of sync, so much so that I haven't watched it in years. I'm ready to upgrade.

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Why would you need to rebuy your collection? Will the DVDs and Blu-rays in my collection stop working when I upgrade to 4K OLED? My CDs still work in my SACD/DVD-A/3DBD player. :)

Hell yes I'm excited to rebuy some titles, but I would take them on a case by case basis. Movies filmed at 1920x1080 digitally that already have extremely excellent Blu-ray transfers, there seems little point. Something like Interstellar with vast quantities of 15-perf/70mm IMAX film source? Sign me up.

24. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I think @MYKE 's windbag comment was directed at the Blu-ray.com poster and not @Vidiot.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are good receivers and surround decoders out there that will let you delay sound in relation to picture -- assuming that sound is early (which is typically the case).

That question once again was:

"Aren't you excited in re-buying your movie collection in 4K? the studios sure are..."

I took this as a rhetorical question. But my answer was I'm skeptical a new physical 4K disc format will come out. I'm not even sure studios will let people buy movies any more -- I suspect they're going to force everybody to go to a streaming deal, where pay every time you watch it.

So in that respect, no, I'm not excited at the prospect of buying everything again in a new format, because a) I don't think the picture quality will be that much different for movies made prior to about 1980, b) I don't think the expense is worth it, c) I think studios are moving away from selling movies period, d) 4K (actually 2160P) sets are in a state of flux due to different encryption standards for 4K software and streaming, and e) it will be years and years for a 4K transition to take place to the degree that HD is replaced.

Is that a more fully-formed answer?

Tom Campbell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.