Google Play 20k song limit

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mattdm11, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident Thread Starter

From what I read, this is the max amount of songs you can upload to listen to on a mobile device. Has anyone read anything that Google may increase this at some point? It looks like you can't even buy additional space? Is there anything out there that allows me to play my music from my personal cloud? I've looked and nothing pops out to me.

Google Play is so nice. I just hate the 20k limit. I know 20k is a lot...I'm at about 18,500 now and that I can start deleting when the time comes....the point is I don't want that hassle and would rather pay for the extra space if possible to have my entire library.

Any thoughts?

2. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I thought the 20k limit was removed if you subscribed to their "All Access" program for $9.99/mo.

3. mattdm11

At Google I/O on May 15, 2013, Google announced "Google Play Music All Access", an on-demand music streaming service that would allow users to stream any song in the Google Play catalogue. It debuted immediately in the US for $9.99 per month ($7.99 per month if the user signed up before June 30). The new service lets users combine the All Access catalog with their own library of up to 20,000 songs.

Doesn't look like it :(

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I switched to Google All Access from Spotify and I love it, but I only have a little over 10,000 songs uploaded. It might take me some time to get to 20,000.
    I hope for your sake that Google moves that number up.

5. mattdm11

My problem is that it's just all my CDs, which includes lots of singles, promos, etc....so for example I have "Big Me" from Foo Fighters on the FF CD, the two Big Me singles, and on Greatest Hits. Yeah, I could certainly get rid of three of them, but 1) then I can't listen to the single properly and 2) what a waste of time to have to do that.

When I first ripped my CD collection, I made the mistake of not only ripping to MP3, but also, say I had a single that had 5 tracks, but only one was exclusive to that release. I would only rip the one track and not the rest. That got old really quick - I was second guessing myself, finding out that the track I didn't rip was really a radio edit and not the album version, etc. The same would be true here. I am lazy enough that I'd rather just pay for extra space, and apparently Google doesn't want my money :(

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You can rip CDs as one big track.

7. mattdm11

Nah. I rip to my system and its automatically set up to upload to google play.

I just gotta stop buying music :)

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Are you saying that it won't work or that it's a hassle?

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Or ditch google and stream from jriver. Thats what I did.

10. mattdm11

Hassle. Very easy right now to do everything to get music where I want it - rip it, catalog it - and Google Play does the rest to get it uploaded onto their site.

11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

How is this possible if you on the go and away from your home network?

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

20,000 songs on a mobile device and it's a problem? Really?! Suggest laziness is the limiting factor here!

13. mattdm11

Its 2014. We have the technology available and I have the cash to want to buy more space. It should all work seamlessly, which it does right now, except for the limit of songs. Instead, I'm going to have to fudge around with deleting songs every time I get a new album and randomly delete things. Sorry but that's a hassle and it shouldn't have to be like that.

That's why I'm starting the topic - to find out if anyone offers this.

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, I understand the inconvenience in not being able to manage your entire music collection of >20,000 tracks on Google Play thereby limiting your choice of listening material when you go to the supermarket...however, joking aside, that's the model Google are adopting just now. Have you written to them to see what they say?

15. mattdm11

Yes....I told them their service is great and that this issue and replaygain are the only two improvements needed. No reply.

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Download gizmo. Set up the firewall and router if needed.
    Select play to here instead of play on server.

Jriver will compress the lossless track to 320k mp3 on the fly as you listen.

I did it this weekend on a three day fishing trip. Streamed jriver to my phone which blue toothed the music to the boat stereo.

500Homeruns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.