Gord Downie, singer of The Tragically Hip has left us, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DonnyMe, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the Tragically Hip FB page:

Last night Gord quietly passed away with his beloved children and family close by.

Gord knew this day was coming - his response was to spend this precious time as he always had - making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips.

Gord said he had lived many lives. As a musician, he lived “the life” for over 30 years, lucky to do most of it with his high school buddies. At home, he worked just as tirelessly at being a good father, son, brother, husband and friend. No one worked harder on every part of their life than Gord. No one.

We would like to thank all the kind folks at KGH and Sunnybrook, Gord’s bandmates, management team, friends and fans. Thank you for all the help and support over the past two years.

Thank you everyone for all the respect, admiration and love you have given Gord throughout the years – those tender offerings touched his heart and he takes them with him now as he walks among the stars.

Love you forever Gord.

The Downie Family

Sean, Dflow, Gavinyl and 25 others like this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Sean, dadonred and DeRosa like this.
  4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'd not heard of the Tragically Hip before joining here, and still haven't really heard their music, but I thought that Gord's battle was both courageous and inspiring.

RIP, sir.

russellsd, Sean, Gavinyl and 14 others like this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

A great loss to his family, friends and fans.
    He went out in style in the best meaning of the word. RIP.

Sean and Mowgli like this.
  6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

He handled his illness with an incredible amount of grace and class. He's a true hero for that alone. RIP

Sean, Mowgli, polchik and 11 others like this.
  7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

RIP Gord.

I caught that last concert when it was streamed on YouTube. He had a lot of guts knowing what was coming. Godspeed ...

Gavinyl, Mowgli, polchik and 8 others like this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

9. Words cannot the describe the sadness I feel in my heart.

russellsd, Sean, Gavinyl and 8 others like this.
  10. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

RIP Gord

11. Not many get to go out the way that he did and he has another solo album coming out too. Just a huge loss for Canadian music.

krock2009, moofassa_ca and CCrider92 like this.
  12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I don't know how meaningful their music is outside of Canada, but they made some amazing albums. Go on a YouTube bender tonight and give them a chance.

MikaelaArsenault and enro99 like this.
  13. A sad, sad day. Such an amazing talent. RIP Gord.

14. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

RIP Gord.

15. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

The world has lost not only an amazing musician but an incredible person. I had the true pleasure of working with TTP in the mid 80's and into the early 90's when they were "breaking" on the Canadian music scene and I can say they are all great individuals.

I hadn't seen the band "up close and in person" in 0ver 20 years when I managed to meet them backstage at a show. Gord not only recognized me but remembered my name. Given how many people he'd encountered since we last talked and how crazy things were back stage that night I was blown away. He also spent a fair bit of time talking to me when I know his time was a premium. He was an amazing human being and the fame he and his bandmates achieved never went to his head in any way at any time. Ever.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. His passing will leave a huge hole in so many worlds :(

16. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

RIP Gord, thanks for the wonderful musical memories, and your personal fight that was such an inspiration.

17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Another Canadian hero gone. Sad day for music and a sad day for Canada. RIP.

Sean, sjaca, James Bennett and 3 others like this.
  18. So sorry to hear this and knowing it was coming does nothing to ease the blow. RIP

19. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Heading for Regina, caught in a snow storm on the Trans Canada Highway about 250 kilometers west of Winnipeg in 1994. It was miserable, cold, and the driving was just too dangerous to continue. RCMP closed the highway shortly after we got off the road. Managed to find a Days Inn or something like that. Too many years ago. Can’t remember exactly. But I remember the friends we met, the local bar and restaurant, the warmth, and the Hip playing loud:

“Come in, come in, come in, come in
    From thin and wicked prairie winds come in
    It’s warm and it’s safe here and almost heartening
    Here in a time and place not lost on our imagination”

Saw the Hip a few times over the years. It was always an experience worth sharing. Downie made us think of ourselves and how others see us. Great stuff.

20. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Endurance, grace, commitment, heart.

No wonder he represented our country so well.

Peace and love to all of us today.

Gavinyl, polchik, russellsd and 4 others like this.
  21. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

For those of you that are not aware, Downie spend much of his last year shedding light on the horrible treatment of indigenous people here in Canada. I've never been a big fan of the band, but talk about someone making the most of a horrible situation. I'm positive that he brought the plight of indigenous Canadians to thousands of people here in Canada that otherwise barely give it a second thought. Other than his music, I think this is his most important legacy. RIP.

[​IMG]

22. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

RIP Gord. Canada is sad today.

You told our stories very well brother...

Gavinyl, polchik, CCrider92 and 6 others like this.
  23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Goodbye to a great singer; Safe voyage home. :wave:

Finch Platte and CCrider92 like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.