Got 500 dollars for a tube amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frankb, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankb

frankb Active Member Thread Starter

now im being told the acoustech pl-980's are crap on the ampex list. That would be fine. Id return them if they didn't weigh as much a s Car

2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I have this amp (the black version) and it's no joke. It has better resolution and clarity than any SS amp (mostly vintage) I've had in the house. People who bash the better made Chinese tube amps typically have no experience actually listening to them. How well they will stand the test of time is another matter. I have listened to many Jolida amps in a showroom and like them very much, but they are four times and up the price as the Aiqin. Yes, for $225 the amp is a steal and I don't think you could do worse.

3. frankb

frankb Active Member Thread Starter

yes, price is the thing. I could spend 5 grand.
    A Chinese amp is probably not going to be collectable. Goes against my behavior of always trying to buy something that will appreciate in value. I'll give it as a gift to my sister if I can afford a Mcintosh, someday
    350 each for a pair of speakers I can't beat right now, either

4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

That would be for both channels combined, the practice being common in product advertisements among audio manufacturers at the time.

Like the others who have posted, this is the first I heard of that model. Must be a rare bird indeed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

6. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Yes, the good old days (or not so good) before the FCC began imposing regulations on the manner in which power ratings could be advertised.

I believe they took effect November 1, 1974 which forbade manufacturers from advertising stereo amplifiers as the sum of their L & R channel outputs. Additionally, the output had to be specified for a given freq range (ie, 20Hz to 20kHz or cps, as was probably still in use), at x% THD with both channels driven.

And just to be certain that no misunderstandings would occur, a product's model number could not be the sum of both channels either. So for example, if the manufacturer rated a receiver for 50 wpc, it could not contain "100" in its model number. It's actually a bit silly in retrospect but it goes to show out of hand amplifiers ratings had become in order to make them appear more powerful than they really were.

An amusing side story: Bob Carver (either to test the FCC's patience, or just to make a point) actually went so far as to rate his new "Cube" amplifier at 201 watts per channel, thereby allowing the model "M-400a" to comply with the FCC ruling.

Carver M-400 - Manual - Stereo/Mono Power Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.