Got a C-20!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by whaaat, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic Thread Starter

:agree: Picked this one up from a local seller last night. It's not in great shape cosmetically, but the sound... :love:

Hopefully in the next couple of months I can pick up a 225, 240 or a couple of MC30s to hook this baby up to, but in the meantime I'm going to use it as a phono/preamp going into my sound card for needle drops.

So what are the best tubes for this baby (and where do they go :laugh: )? If I'm not mistaken, there's 5 12AX7s, 2 12AU7s, and a 6X4. Right now it's got all Mullards except for the 6X4, which is an RCA, but the seller will swap them out for Tele's once he finds them (somewhere in his house). I only got a chance to look at it quickly once I got home, but there's 6 tubes in a row, raised, then 2 (one of them is the 6X4) lower down. Which ones are which, and what should I put in there?

Thanks in advance,

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

6X4, Brimar is neat.

12AX7's should be Telefunkens
    12AU7's should be RCA "clear tops"

What you have in there right now will work. Use the above if you want more top and mids.

Enjoy it!

3. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I must start reading up about tubes.

I thought "what the heck would anyone want with a 10 minutes per side cassette these days!!"

4. whaaat

Thanks Steve! Which spots are for the 12AU7s?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's marked right on there. Take a look.

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Geoff,

Which version of the C-20 did you score?

Take care,
    Jeffrey

7. whaaat

It's not the early one that you have (took a peek through RonFluegel's thread earlier) so it's either the 2nd or 3rd version, with the glass front and 'McIntosh' marked on it.
    Is there any way to tell (by serial numbers etc.) which version I have?

I'd post a pic, but the digicam's out being repaired, and it might hurt a few of you to see it in its current condition. ;)

8. Jeffrey

9. whaaat

Hey Jeffrey,

it looks like this one, pretty much: (though not in as nice shape)
    [​IMG]
    with the bronze faceplate.

10. Jeffrey

Hi Geoff,

I believe you got yourself one of the 2nd versions. You should be VERY happy! :)

Get that dude to cough up the Tele's ASAP. Those babies are worth cash and are much nicer than Mullard 12ax7's. You could sell the Mullard's on Ebay and recoup some of the purchase price. :)

Enjoy!
    Jeffrey

11. whaaat

Yeah, he's in the process of moving his gear around right now, but I'm definitely on it.

Haven't had a chance to hook it up at home yet, but I like the way it looks on my shelf, that's for sure. :agree:

12. whaaat

BTW, a propos of nothing, I also recently picked up the Golden Road boxset, I'm converted! :righton:

13. Jeffrey

Hi Geoff,

Golden Road on a C-20...... welcome to my world...... hope you enjoy the ride! :winkgrin:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

14. Jeffrey

Hi Geoff,

Sounds like you have a great plan for the next addition! :righton: I'd probably lean toward the 240 if you plan on doing all of your listening on this combo and the 30's if you plan on having two different rigs.

Just my view,
    Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.