Got a faulty Music Hall MMF 2.2. To get a replacement, or try another table?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Plissken99, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plissken99

Plissken99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok so I got the Music Hall table on Amazon for $300. Finally got it hooked up today (was waiting on the Realistic 42-2101a preamp) and started listening to records. Good news is that records sound fantastic on it. Bad news is that there is a rather loud buzz through the system. After lots of trouble shooting with it, the ground wire and phono stage; I then hooked it up to my high end Yamaha preamp(with phono input) downstairs and got the same amount of buzz.

Also should note, I found a recent review on Amazon where the guy had the same issue. Music Hall told him they thought it was an internal wiring issue in the table, they wanted him to send it in for repair. Instead he returned it to Amazon, like I'm gonna do.

So the question is, should I order another one and hope it's ok. Or spend another $100 and get the Pr0-Ject Debut Carbon? REALLY pisses me off because Amazon had that table at $300 a few days ago.

2. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

Any local stores to buy one?

3. Plissken99

None that don't upcharge horribly.

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The MH should be a quieter table than the Project, sounds like you just got a lemon. I have had one for about 4-5 years, no issues. The $300 price would have sent me a small red flag. Was it a demo or a factory refurb? That is quite a discount! I would skip over the debut, while they are made in the same factory, they are not the same tables. Also most of the Music Hall line is getting an upgrade, so I would expect price drops soon on the ".2" models.
    FYI - The upgrades for the new 2.3 are to include:
    2.3 – Bases available in black, white, red
    carbon arm, DC motor, new Music Hall Spirit cartridge – specially built for us by Audio Technica ($100 value)

5. Plissken99

No $299 new, through Music Direct selling through Amazon. I thought it was holiday pricing, but that's still the price.

It came triple boxed, no scuffs. Set up easily. I tend also to think its a lemon, question is whether or not there's a whole batch of them right now. Because that other guys review was from November 7th.

Need it by Xmas. :(

Slick Willie likes this.
  6. Plissken99

Think I solved it. This not being a widely reported issue, I figure it must be a lemon. So I just stepped up to the 2.2LE for $350 in Ferarri red.

Theoretically it shouldn't be part of the bad batch, if there even are anymore.

Cliff likes this.
  7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Good Luck with the replacement. I've had a MMF 7.1 for 12 years and have been very happy with it, I also own their excellent Marimba bookshelf speakers.

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I just saw the $299 price tag and am thinking about picking it up for a second system. What is your opinion of the 2.2LE? Would love to hear a review.

9. Plissken99

Ah yes, the 2.2LE worked perfectly, no overly loud hum from it. I have zero complaints, even with the heavy 10oz turntable mat I use, it still spins at 33.3rpm. It's very basic, looks great and sounds outstanding.

It's only my second turntable, the only thing I have to compare it to is the Technics sl-1200. For function and overall quality the Technics wins, but sound is probably neck n neck, and the Music Hall is a nicer looking table.

10. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

That's great news! For in a panic I pulled the trigger on the last one being sold tax free before I read your response. As it turns out, my main deck is a SL-1200 too. My local stereo shop sells Project, Music Hall, and Rega turntable and he couldn't keep the MMF 2.2 in stock. He said side by side with the Debut Carbon, everyone chose the Music Hall. He also felt the Rega Rp1 and 2.2 were comparable. The VTF adjustment on the MH makes it more appealing to me since I have acquired a handful of cartridges that I will try over the next couple months.

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Methinks most folks see the Debut and 2.2 as purt much the same....they are not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.