Got a new digital camera...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Holy Zoo, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Looks like a quality B&W pic to me. I'm really big on B&W pics. I usually make 8x10 prints out of them. Whenever I have visitors we go up to the North Shore and take B&W pics on the beach. I've had really good results with my Canon Power Shot S30.

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Ok, got me curious to try the B&W mode on the S400. Here's a picture of my daughter. Tyler, whatcha think? Click here if you want to see the 4 megapixel original in it's enormous splender. :)

[​IMG]

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Very sweet. Nice pictures Jeff.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Thanks Jamie. :)

Hey, and check this out.

I thought the Elph series was small, but this makes them look like blimps in comparison:

Sony QUALIA 016
    2 megapixel
    $3,200

Attached Files:

• q3.jpg
      q3.jpg
      File size:
      7.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Very nice, I like it.

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Problem is, there are no widely accepted preservation standards much less viable strategies to preserve any electronic file formats, including images. Since the market drives electronic media and its imperative is to have you continually buy the 'latest and greatest' gadgets and software they have very little incentive to help you maintain your old systems and files.:realmad:

When was the last time you tried opening a word processing document you hadn't accessed in, say, five years? did it open? did it 'look and feel' the way it did when you created it?

At the very least make sure you are backing up the pics you want to save to a CD-R and don't use your computer as your primary archive. Also, if you get a shot that you really want to have when you get old, bring the file to a professional imaging establishment that does film work and have them burn it to a film negative.

Ere

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Awww! It's cute,

It's funny. The more you pay, the less you get.:)

8. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Jeff, thumbs up on bhphotovideo.com? You were satisfied with their service and prices? I'm looking at the Olympus Stylus 300 for my mom, the price here beats Amazon's handily. But my brother is a little worried about grey market items on the net.

Dan

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Re: Re: Got a new digital camera...

I'm not Jeff but I can say that B&H has an impeccable reputation. I used to order boxes and boxes of photo stuffs from them and never had a problem. If you order by phone, know what you want and no chit chat. They're all business and prefer not to chew the fat. :)

Dan C

10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I've bought black and white printing paper from B&H over the years and was always happy with their service and delivery speed. Plus, their print catalogs are pretty fun to browse through. They also sell a lot of high-end pro equipment so you might need a bib while you read:)

BTW, another good preservation strategy for the ultimate keeper digital prints is to bring them to a pro-shop that does glicee (sp?) printing, which is supposed to me archivally stable.

11. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Actually, I have image files that I created well over 5 years ago that open without a hitch in a number of image-editing programs... and JPG is among them-- unfortunately. :) But I know what you're saying, Ere!

Most people save their digital images as JPGs, which is like archiving a DCC CD as an MP3. If they save as a TIFF file, they run out of memory very quickly.

There is an archival quality format out there, the RAW format, which I've mentioned before. The caveat for the moment, is to exploit the potential of RAW fully, one needs to purchase PhotoshopCS or own version 7 and buy the RAW plug-in. Of course, if you have Photoshop, you could always Import the JPG files directly from your digital camera DIRECTLY into Photoshop (to minimize data loss) and save the images as PSD files and burn those onto a regular CD. Saving the files initially as RAW files would be the ideal solution, but this one will do if your camera doesn't offer RAW capability.

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Giclee printing is really a posh way of saying inkjet printing - it all boils down to the paper and the inks used so make sure you ask the pro-shop what they use and then do a bit of searching.

All the best - Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.