Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Is there an official JerryBand live show release as good top to bottom as Don't Let Go? I can't think of one.

The only thing it's missing is "Dixie".

SteveFff likes this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I've been watching a bunch of Roy Buchanan youtube clips since yesterday when I posted one in some guy's guitar solo thread.

Youtube suggested this clip, which stands up well against much of the Buchanan material:

3. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Is it Friday yet?

Lonson likes this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The latest GarciaLive volume is waiting for me at the record shop, but I won't be able to pick it up today :realmad:

Joe Spivey likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Had a lot of windshield time this weekend, so I finally got a chance to spin my copy of On Broadway, Act One. Against all my expectations, I was blown away by the two acoustic discs and, quite honestly, left a little underwhelmed by the electric disc. Giving my preferences for Jerry's stuff, I assumed I'd have the exact opposite reaction. The electric set isn't at all bad, I just can't imagine it being even in the top ten of official JGB releases I'd reach for first.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I agree, the acoustic sets are really good. The (furtive) recording of the electric set suffered from technical problems. Anyway, this is a release that sits in my collection almost unplayed.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  7. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Starting my day with a little Keystone 1973 (LP box set)

I like a little Garcia/Saunders with my coffee...

[​IMG]

Taylor16, Daedalus, NorCal and 6 others like this.
  8. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Oh how I wish they would put these back in print. I particularly LOVE the first one!!! :)

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I've held off on buying this one so far, but might swing back to give the acoustic sets another listen. I've only heard it through Spotify.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

From this release, I believe:

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders - Keepers - Amazon.com Music

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

You can stream that one (and several of the Garcia Live! series) on Amazon Prime too.
    Are you talking about the Keystone CDs? I have all three, I must have had to order them, but they are the most played Garcia solo item in my collection for sure.
    Thanks for that, there was no date on the clip, and there were a couple of dated versions (some with female vocals) I did not enjoy quite as much.

adamos likes this.
  12. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

budwhite likes this.
  13. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It's a great release, by the way - truly a "keeper". It also has the only officially released version of "I Was Made to Love Her," and it's a terrific take.

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I finally have my copy of GarciaLive Vol.8 with me. Great sound quality, and judging from the initial "Cats Under The Stars", also a great performance. Jerry sounds totally on.

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I was at the night before in Chicago and always wished I'd gone to this one too. Friends who went to both were definitely high on the Milwaukee show (no pun intended). Although we fared pretty well in both departments at the Rosemont Horizon show too :)

budwhite likes this.
  16. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

:drool:

17. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

For once, you got it first in argentina before we get it in the states!!

budwhite and Rne like this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

:)
    When I purchase through my usual local record store, I usually receive the items quite quickly, sometimes before the official release date. Unfortunately, I can't order dead.net products that way.

NorCal and budwhite like this.
  19. ianuaditis

I'm listening to the Visions of Johann studio clip, after a tipoff from the Garcia's Record Collection article on Deadessays.

I wish that Garcia had worked this up with the GD sometime circa 1972-74.

adamos, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  20. ianuaditis

That led me to this, holy crap.

I also like some of the 74 electric versions with Merle, but yeah...

MonkeyLizard, John D. and adamos like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, love that song. Especially the long mid 70s electric versions

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My copy of the Milwaukee '91 show came in the mail today, I'm three tracks in right now and this is a very hot show so far (I've never heard it before), and a fine setlist. I have a feeling this one will get a lot of play. Better sound than the recent Broadway '87 and Long Island Sound '89 releases.

23. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Listening to Milwaukee tonight as I work on a conference paper. This is some killer stuff. I've never heard this show before but the setlist is killer, as is the playing. Now, back to Irish history and the First World War....

NorCal, Guy Smiley, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  24. ianuaditis

Tús maith, leath na hoibre.

I had to look that up, tá beagán gaeilge agam.

For the Sasanaigh hereabouts, it says 'A good beginning is half the work.' :agree:

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Good to get the early reviews of volume 8. I winter get mine until the end of next week or so. I ordered with some other stuff from Amazon including one not released until 3/17. A treat to look forward to. I posted before that I went to the Prov. Show on this tour. What a great, great show that was.

Crispy Rob and fishcane like this.