Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Halfway through Disc 1 and this release is fantastic! The JGB Fall Tour of 1991 was consistently hot and this show is no exception. Sound is excellent (source is 2 track digital audio tape from the soundboard).

My first JGB show was 11/15/91 at Madison Square Garden (saw the Zen Tricksters at the Wetlands the night before!). I love all eras of solo Garcia but will always have 1991 as my sentimental favorite.

Bossyman, Crispy Rob, NorCal and 2 others like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My god, the version of "Cats Under The Stars" that opens the new GARCIALIVE VOL. 8 album features one of Jerry's best-ever guitar solos ... it's like he's talking, then it gets inspired crazy, then winds down. I was amazed and that's rare for me. Listen to it -- you'll see ...

laf848, Johnny Todd, JRM and 9 others like this.
  3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    JRM and ianuaditis like this.
  4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Really enjoyed Vol. 8 release, too. It's nice to have another decent sounding later era show.

I never gotten to see the JGB. I remember getting the Jerry Garcia Band (1991) tape for my birthday from my parents. Listened to it a ton. Never was ever to coordinate seeing a show - it seemed that I was down at school when he came through Chicago with his Garcia Band.

NorCal and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

I'm enjoying disk 1 of the new release this afternoon. You can tell that Jerry was pretty clear in the head for this first set; beautiful solos early on and a wonderful rendition of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

it really was a great tour....

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

This will be getting a spin today! :goodie:

8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

JRM, Billy_Sunday, adamos and 2 others like this.
  9. edarh

edarh Member

[​IMG]
    Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm spinning LPs this afternoon. I pulled out Garcia's second solo album and put it on. I have always loved this one and it sounds very nice.

[​IMG]

JRM, ianuaditis, Billy_Sunday and 4 others like this.
  11. highway

highway Forum Resident

I recently saw a couple CDs I was looking for from Louis Armstrong and Doyle Bramhall II as "Amazon add-ons". In order to get them at the lower price I need to buy something a little more expensive for a total over $25.

It came down to Garcialive volume seven or Garcia Plays Dylan. I got the latter but I'm sure I'll buy the former sooner rather than later. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'm much more interested in solo Garcia than the grateful dead at the moment.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Keeping The Spirit Alive: A Chat With The Team Behind Jerry Garcia Archival Releases

From the article on JamBase:

In honor of Vol. 8’s release this month — the first in what’s promised to be a full year of Jerry Garcia archival releases in the year of what would have been the artist’s 75th birthday — we caught up with Marc Allan and Kevin Monty, artist managers at Red Light Management, and for some years now, working closely with the Garcia Family on releases from the Jerry vaults.

MA: "In fact, right now we’re looking at our next Merl release. That kind of started from an e-mail from Justin Kreutzmann, who said, “Hey, have you guys put out anything with Jerry, Merl and Billy on it?” So we’re playing around with the concept of what we can do with that, and that’s probably going to be Vol. 9."

JAMBASE: Are you sticking to a set cadence of Garcia releases?

MA: we’re kind of making sure we get out one per quarter. There are some things we want to do that will take a little more time, so we’re targeting no less than four physical releases plus one vinyl release every year.

laf848, JRM, ianuaditis and 9 others like this.
  13. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Got 'em all!

My first exposure to solo Jerry was "The Wheel" on one of those whacky Warner/Reprise 2LP sampler albums they used to sell in the early seventies. The ones where'd you mail in $2 and get a full two LPs worth of the latest from Warner. "The Wheel" blew my mind.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Meaning '71-74 right? Great news even if there's plenty out there in great sound

15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think the Jerry-Merl band was '71-'74 or so. I don't know how often Billy played with them, though.

16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's St. Patricks day here...

JRM, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I love the Dylan version, but this is a brilliant reading. @rstamberg, this is a good exhibit in the case for Garcia's late period vocals:

highway, lschwart, adamos and 2 others like this.
  19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

He really does an exceptional job with that one

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Indeed. I was quite surprised when I first heard it. 93ish I believe?

JRM and ianuaditis like this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I am still waiting for vol 8. I bought a few different new releases from -you know where-and had to wait with a combined shipment. Hope to get today or tomorrow.

22. Mike burgess

Mike burgess Forum Resident

Heard vol 1, had to buy them all before they become 'collectible', with the price to match. Timeless, matchless music. I still miss uncle Jerry every day.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

if I remember correctly, I saw them seven times in that period and billy was with them for four of those; capitol, Passaic 9/73, bottom line, nyc 7/74, Berkeley community theater 8/74 and great American music hall, sf 8/74. I managed to catch up with him between sets at that last show and we chatted for a short while.

Billy_Sunday, adamos and budwhite like this.
  24. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

@davmar77 just wanted to thank you for the time you take your share your insights and experiences with the band. Unfortunately I only got on the bus with my 1st show in 95 but this band and their musical journey has upgraded my life experience.

I've seen hundreds of other shows in my lifetime and there is nothing quite like being able to chat with a band in an intimate setting, something I gather you were able to do numerous times.

Thanks and CHEERS!!

budwhite and davmar77 like this.
  25. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Is there a circulating soundboard of any of the four performances of "Twilight"?

This song and this arrangement, man...

Billy_Sunday likes this.