Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Well I can't say I'm looking forward to the telephone button sound that people have described here :) But I did like Fierro's flute on GL3, so we'll see how this one goes. I'm hoping to give it a first listen this week.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Man, Fierro absolutely kills it on "La La", more than enough to forgive the weird phone sound (which, honestly, wasn't all that distracting for me - though it may be now that you guys have all pointed it out).

3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The "La La" hit the spot yesterday

adamos and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I played disc one tonight, good stuff! La La was really good. The phone sound part is rough but fairly brief, so it doesn't detract too much from the overall performance.

GuidedByJonO))) and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

It sure is!

And I like his saxophone playing, never was crazy about the flute. Possible after being forced to play the recorder in elementary school just like any poor bastard over here in my generation it seems. Mine ended up between the chopping block and the business end of an axe before being throw into the sea. But I digress... :D

GuidedByJonO))) and adamos like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

On the last four tunes of Shining Star. "Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox!"

7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Definitely a JGB favorite of mine. Always happy to see that one in a set list.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  8. wavethatflag

I'd never heard it until tonight. I only saw two JGB shows back in the day, '91 and '92.

That's a good song though, sounds like a spiritual or something akin.

Now he's doing a tune called "Positively 4th Street", which is a song I know from somewhere...

Melvin Seals, man, why didn't he replace Brent?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, some of those late additions to the JGB repertoire were excellent, especially Breadbox, Shining Star, The Maker, and Everybody Loves Somebody. I also saw Roy Rogers and Norton Buffalo (who wrote Breadbox) a couple times, including opening for JGB at Kaiser 11/90.

10. wavethatflag

That's a cool shirt, but for some reason I don't like the fact they put "Garcia" on the back of all their shirts and hats.

11. wavethatflag

LaLa is fine, it's his later instrumental showcase where he's beyond the pale in touchtonery. I'm probably as out there as anyone in this thread, but Martin was really pressing my buttons.

ianuaditis and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I've been wanting a Cats Under The Stars or Creamery portrait t-shirt but wasn't sure about the back. Although I did buy a 2017 bicycle day t-shirt because I like that crazy portrait and I wasn't able to get one of the limited edition prints before they sold out.

[​IMG]

Spadeygrove and wavethatflag like this.
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Playing disc 2 of GL 9 right now. The Harder They Come was great. I just got to the part in Ain't No Woman where the touch tone gets particularly rough. Yikes. But it seems to be over now and Jerry's got a nice groove going. Tragedy narrowly averted.

EDIT: I spoke to soon, it's back! :eek: @BurtThomasWard was right about the recorder analogy too. Ok song coming to an end, all is well. And still good overall.

14. wavethatflag

Yeah, they have a lot of cool designs but I have a hang-up about wearing someone else's last name on the back of a shirt. I'll wear any manner of GD or Phish or whatever band T-shirt, but I start to draw the line at people's names. Like I wouldn't wear a "Tom Petty" shirt either. No offense meant to anyone who does.

Edit: I broke this rule when I bought a Trey Anastasio shirt on the Paper Wheels tour, but then I forgot the shirt in the cab and couldn't retrieve it the next day. I was also hammered at the time because I couldn't keep pace with @Crispy Rob. Anyway, I took the loss of that shirt as a sign.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  15. wavethatflag

And then Fierro drops back into the pocket for the next number after Ain't No Woman, so I could wipe my brow and relax. :D

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  16. Bracton

Bracton Forum Resident

This is a great release along with the next night. This is JGB in top form imo.

laf848, RockRoom, vegafleet and 5 others like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Did two great '82 shows last night, both newly upgraded from CM and others

Jerry Garcia Band - March 7, 1982
    The Saddlerack - San Jose, CA

Set 1:
    01 - Sugaree
    02 - Catfish John
    03 - Valerie
    04 - I Second That Emotion >
    05 - Tangled Up In Blue

Set 2:
    06 - Harder They Come
    07 - Mystery Train
    08 - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    09 - Tore Up Over You
    10 - Midnight Moonlight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerry Garcia and John Kahn
    Oregon State Prison,
    Salem, OR
    06/05/1982

01 Deep Elem Blues
    02 Friend Of The Devil
    03 Jack-A-Roe
    04 Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie
    05 It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    06 Run For The Roses
    07 Ripple
    08 Been All Around This World
    09 Valerie
    10 Dire Wolf

encore

11 Reuben and Cherise

18. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

Reflections is one of my favorite albums of all time. The first side is sublime with Mission In the Rain and I'lol Take a Melody being standouts.

I also love Nicky Hopkins playing with Garcia as he plays on most of the album. There are a couple of shows from Winterland in 1975 that I listen to and Hopkins' playing is gorgeous to listen to.

Truth is I listen to more Garcia these days than I do the Dead. That is why I can't see any of the Dead related bands now. Hands down Garcia was the soul of the band.

laf848, Dennis0675, Bonddm and 11 others like this.
  19. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Amen.

20. Bracton

Bracton Forum Resident

Same here. Post 1978, JGB is where it's at (and pre 1978, JGB is pretty good too).

vegafleet likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

The Shoreline show on DVD shows that soul of Garcia in spades. Sublime artist.

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just picked up an inexpensive copy of this. I'm only on disc one but it sounds good! Not one of the most sought after in the Pure Jerry series but I think it's a good one.

Daedalus, Blue Note and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

One of the best of the series!!!

Daedalus and adamos like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, it's awesome!

The next two in the live series should be from 77&78.
    We only got that one from '77.

I think that Keith played much better with the Garcia band in '78 than with the Dead. So therefore I would be happy with a late '78

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I think "Ain't no woman like the one I've got" on volume 9 is worth the price of admission. The rest is gravy.

ianuaditis and adamos like this.