Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That description sounds similar to my 180 gram, colored-vinyl RSD "Reflections." Low end goosed a bit, high end rolled off. Nice fat mid-range, but definitely a change to what the original sounded like. I think I'll stick with my WLP copy unless I can be convinced.

Alofter likes this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The jacket certainly mystifies...

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The covers of Reflections and especially Run For The Roses are WAY worse.

4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Reflections doesn't bother me, but yes... Run For The Roses has an all-time disaster for a cover.

Mad Dog and budwhite like this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

...who is, not coincidentally, lying down...

Lonson likes this.
  6. Every time I look at the cover of Reflections I wonder what the heck the concept was supposed to be.

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I don't think any Garcia solo album got the cover right until Cats Under the Stars.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cats and Blues for Allah are neck and neck for my favorite covers on any Garcia-related album.

9. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Got Milk? is a good catch phrase but "Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?" seems rushed and could have been phrased better but here we are 63 pages later so I guess I'm in the minority.

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, originally it was "Got Jerry?" which was a good use of the milk catch phrase but too many forumites didn't know which Jerry we were talking about, so a Gort changed the title and made it more specific and pedantic.

Daedalus, ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Was able to pick up the new Sky Blue pressing of Garcia from Generation Records in NYC. Looking forward to listening to it when I get back to the UK

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I love the cover for Run for the Roses.

What is wrong with life that a tiger striped dinosaur being ridden by a similarly clothed jockey cannot fix?

13. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Perhaps the greatest thought/observation/opinion ever expressed in these pages.

14. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Been a while!

jamesmaya, RockRoom, dtuck90 and 2 others like this.
  15. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

Lp or CD?

16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

CD, including a scratched and scuffed disc 2 (which came that way courtesy of the cardboard sleeve) that bugs me every time I take it out. The CDs are in antistatic inner sleeves now to avoid further damage.

Do you have the LP?

17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

P.S. Positively 4th Street!

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The old Keystone discs (and the Arista JGB CD) were my introduction to solo Garcia. I bought my dad a copy of the Companions box set but I usually just listen to the circulating tapes.

And yes, Positively 4th Street.

budwhite, deadbase and adamos like this.
  19. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

I've got the original Vol 1 & 2, and Keystone Encores vinyl. Is it worth it to get the Complete Keystone vinyl box set? Most are repeats with only 1 I'm missing.
    I've been torn about buying it. The Keystone shows were my intro to the magic of Garcia/Saunders.

20. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think, like all good questions, the answer is "it depends." I'm happy enough with the circulating tapes that I never bought the box. I also don't do vinyl, so that part doesn't appeal. If I bought records, I would own that box.

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I bought the CD box set a while ago because it was inexpensive and I was curious about the remastering and the additional songs/versions, plus my original CDs weren't in the best shape. And I just thought it looked cool. I'm definitely happy with it. I don't know anything about the vinyl so unfortunately I can't comment on that.

deadbase likes this.
  23. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Is the download code an MP3 or higher res?

24. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I will get back to you on that one. Great question.

25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Was listening to Steve Miller, Fly Like An Eagle. Jerry would have done a nice cover of Wild Mountain Honey.

budwhite likes this.