Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Image doesn’t show up but I assume this is Bay Area 78? I had FLACs of this that I got from the part of the net that shall not be named. I couldn’t justify paying $300 for a 2 disc set. For $7.50 I’m happy to buy the FLACs until, hopefully, someday these are reissued on physical media. Pure Jerry vol 9 is the only release in this series I don’t have in physical format.

vegafleet and adamos like this.
  2. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Damn you, had to check this out this "Bay Area 78" and purchased yet another download from Nugs. I guess it's better than buying another $30 LP. :p

uzn007 and DrLunchbox like this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

So who picked up the Side Trips LP? Improvement over the CD?

4. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I paid around $70 after market last year. Money well spent. No plans to re-sell for profit.
    I enjoy having the real sasquatch. I don't like to pretend.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    vegafleet likes this.
  5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I spent $175 on Ebay for Bay Area 78, sealed, no regrets. The bass is so fat on the decoded Hdcd playback on the Oppo 103!

By far the most I have spent on music, apart from the $450 Europe 72 box.

As far as Cd releases from the Pure Jerry series, this one seems particularly rare, I missed the original release, and I am usually good at that. Maybe it was a small run as it was the last one.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

$450 for Europe box is great. Wish I could've afforded it back then.

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

uzn007, Dennis0675 and Spadeygrove like this.
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

His official site is selling the Pure Jerry Best of the Rest release. They must have found some old stock?

hagcel likes this.
  9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I've been spending a lot of time with the latest Garcia Live, and "Ain't No Women (Like the One I've Got)" is really a thing of marvel. What a feat by Jerry, Merl and the others to extract something so wonderful out of a song that to me is no great shakes in the original. It's only too bad it was so short-lived. I realize that it wouldn't have worked without Fierro, but they could at least have carried it over to Legion of Mary. Does anyone know how many times it was played?

10. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Very cool. !!

GoodKitty likes this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Isn't it time for a new release soon?

Freebird and ianuaditis like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes. Reconstruction, specifically.

13. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

It's way past time that the Jerry pre-Dead acoustic box that Relix announced back in August and McNally also mentioned came out.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Legal issues, I fear.

15. That’s been for sale forever. Sound isn’t great on those. I only have the 10/31, but I assume “the rest” is the same. Performance is phenomenal; sound is a bit distant.

16. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Got some new to me colored vinyl Jerry in the vault. Need a decent turntable first.

17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Playing that one now. The recording quality definitely leaves something to be desired. Great to have as a historical record (and happy to be hearing it at the moment) but certainly better options for regular listening.

Blue Note likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Due to union rules, they weren't supposed to record those Broadway shows, but they did anyway with a hidden recorder. However, that meant they could make few, if any, adjustments to the levels, etc., so they were pretty much straight 2-track PA mixes with no real monitoring as it was being recorded. Subpar sound quality for GD/Garcia releases, but still listenable and nice to have. For some reason the recordings of the acoustic sets have always sounded much better to my ears.

Blue Note, vegafleet and adamos like this.
  19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes - it’s funny I’d just gotten to disc three and was going to add an edit that the clandestine recording method seemed to work better for the acoustic sets.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. Yeah, they're good sets and the sound quality isn't that bad, it's just by comparison to other official releases. For years I had listened mainly to the acoustic sets, but the last time through I was actually quite impressed with the electric sets from 10/31/87, performance-wise--some of that is pretty hot.

adamos, Scopitone and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

My girlfriend got me the yellow Cats Under the Stars for Christmas to go along with the blue Garcia I was able to pick up in New York.

First time listening to this album and I’m loving it so far and it seems like a great pressing. Didn’t realise it had been pressed at QRP. Has anybody had any luck getting the replacement sleeve as the glue has come apart on mine?

Download card was missing from my copy as well which I’m not bothered about as I think it was mp3 anyway

I’ve now ordered Compliments from Amazon UK and Reflections from Amazon US.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just received my copy of Compliments from Amazon UK. Turns out it’s the numbered green version!

23. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

Also got a yellow cats for Christmas with no download card. I sent an email to Garcia family provisions, we’ll see what happens.

I’m interested in checking out a Reconstruction show to listen to. Any suggestions?

24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Just look for one with songs you like. I think they're all pretty hot and I don't know of any that are real stand-outs (off the top of my head).

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's about time they put out Garcia Live vol 10 - we got 2 in 2016 and 2 more in 2017 after a bit of a hiatus.

I'm partial to anything with Merle, but whatever else works too.

I'm ready to listen to the other kind of music again.

Crispy Rob likes this.