Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Kemper was still there on the late fall '93 tour, which was very strong - having nothing better to do at the time, I did that whole tour.

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great looking fireplace, Dennis

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

What could possibly be better than that?

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My thinking at the time, exactly!

Billy_Sunday and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Tried and true.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Fantastic album

adamos likes this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

And Garcia agreed to record the Garcia/Grisman album for Grisman as a way to try to make up for the business disagreement. Along with providing Jerry with one of the gems in his discography, that helped Dawg launch his record label.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It certainly helped launch the lable but I’d bet taking no responsibility was also attractive for Jerry. Just play and let David worry about the details.

DrLunchbox and budwhite like this.
  9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

All of the Garcia Grisman albums are excellent. Wish there was a complete live release. You can find some cool stuff on YouTube.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

IIRC the 'business disagreement' was no one got paid enough for Old and In the Way, and also I seem to remember Grisman complaining about not getting paid for Positively 4th St (or maybe some other thing, but the main gist was Grisman didn't get his money.) Given what happened with Round, that's not implausible.

uzn007, Dennis0675 and budwhite like this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Agreed. Recordings sourced from reels circulate. Where those reels are...that’s another question...

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I want something from '79 too. But a '71 and '72 show is higher on my list

Billy_Sunday, lucan_g and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Even if anyone who wants it has had it already for decades, an official release of Pacific High Studios '72 is way, way overdue.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

David not getting paid would certainly cause some problems. Unless we’re talking about money on the front end or getting paid for playing a gig, OAITW didn’t come out until 75, two years after they played the shows and about a year after Jerry last played with GASB.

By all accounts, David is a pain to work with. Short him on some money and I’m sure he’d lose his temper. I’ve seen him at least ten times and he works the merch table after the show. I don’t think it’s because he likes signing his name or meeting the fans.

I don’t doubt that doing business with Round Records could be a source of tension.

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Honestly, I think the cupboard is getting bare for Garcia Solo releases. I know he played a lot of shows that could be released but they have cherry picked an example from every era. There just wasn't as diverse of a set list or differences from show to show on the same tour to do many more releases. The solo acoustic (or with John only) might be a spot for new example. The Oregon Prison show would be cool to see an official release and that set would work well for a LP release due to the shorter songs and would only take 2 LP to get it all.

As far as live Garcia/Grisman, I think we are better off listening to the studio stuff. That content really lends itself to sounding its best in that environment. It's not like they ever jammed anything out or played much live that they didn't do in the studio. Acoustic instruments can sound great live but it helps if it's in a theatre with an audience sitting down and being quiet. There is a recording that circulates with Bela Fleck sitting in (possibly golden gate) and the microphone is picking up so much wind that it's beyond distracting. Those boys worked it out and got it right in the studio.

trd and Spadeygrove like this.
  16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I wish they could do a compilation of rarely played songs. He did many one-offs (or two-offs) in the '70s, and as we know from the previous release, they can often be great ("Ain't No Woman Like the One I've Got").

Exhibit A: "Here, There, and Everywhere" at 22:00

Well-put in the comments section: "Here, There and Everywhere instrumental > jam > Are You Lonely is legendary apex level Garcia shoelaces".

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

the band with saunders is still my favorite side project for Garcia. the shows I saw in 72-74 were amazing.

18. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I have a theory that Garcia looked up to Saunders (rather than seeing him as a equal), which to me explains the quality of those years. Jerry always brought his A game and pushed himself to play outside his own idiom, because Saunders was the seasoned veteran (and also eight years his senior). You don't really get the same feel with subsequent keyboard players, with the possible exception of Nicky Hopkins.

19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Not even close

uzn007 and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Which era or line up do you feel hasn't been represented with an official release? Whichever one you or I might feel is the best is endlessly subjective. I'm not saying all the best performances have been released but a good clean example (and arguably the best they had) from each era has made it. As far as eras go I see it as....

Free Jazz (Hooter roll era)
    Saunders (Keystone)
    Bluegrass (OAITW)
    Hiatus 75 (Nicky Hopkins)
    Legion of Mary
    Cats era (Maria and Donna)
    Reconstruction
    Ozzy Oilers (keene College)
    Almost acoustic/acoustic
    JGB (the Melvin years)

There have been so many JGB shows released that a version of just about every song they played is available. Hell, he generally played about 15 songs a night and didn't have more than 40 songs in rotation from 87 to 94.

trd likes this.
  21. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well, that was only one track on a compilation, wasn't it?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd say that and the solo acoustic are what is left. Reconstruction was so wildy unorganized as a project that it's hard to count as an era, more like a couple sessions close to home and a raging party.

I might also add NRSP to my list. That is a period that has some live shows and no official releases as far as I know..

Edit: I'll take it back. I just looked and they did 50 shows, Reconstruction should have a release.

23. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

That track didn't exactly make me feel like I couldn't live without more, but hey, I'll still have more.

Some solo acoustic stuff woud also be cool. Any time.

SBegonias17 and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Wiki lists 'Glendale Train' (10-30-71) as an official NRPS live release, which would make it the only one of such to feature Garcia. But it was a radio broadcast, I always thought it was one of those grey market euro things.

It's hard to tell because a lot of NRPS official stuff has come out on the kind of fly-by-night labels that put out those euro discs.

David Nelson could use the money I'm sure, I'd love to see a series of NRPS releases featuring Garcia.

adamos, budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

One would think that since they opened for the Dead and Jerry played in both bands, GDM should have some good tape in the vaults. I've been burned on those euro broadcast releases enough that I won't fool with them. The content is generally available on one of the sites that we shall not mention.

ianuaditis likes this.