Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

This was announced in Bolix almost six months ago and there's been no news since except a mention that McNally is involved

Jerry Garcia - Before the Dead - 4CD Box Set

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I like the idea, but I think an overarching retrospective is too broad. I would favor smaller releases with more depth into each era, especially the early years.
    The So Many Roads set is a good example of how not to do it (in my opinion). There are great things in there, but I rarely get the urge to put it on.

3. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

My "support" list based on the amazing work at GDFD:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...HRIqhmNxY3R2UobBVrpJSCabfMv/pub?embedded=true

My Garcia "solo" list:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQTHFqW-mt_A2e3Nac_uJGDs9oHcubk-Ayp_IFlAYGsMRLa0S9iTpGpunhv0dT5ZIYB4ORCE-hhdq21/pub

Anything missing?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I gotta speak up in defence of So Many Roads. That thing succeeded far beyond what I thought was possible. A+.

5. runonguinness

I think So Many Roads is the perfect step into serious live Dead. It is what I always recommend to Dead newbies as their next step after Workingmans, Beauty, Live Dead and E72. It lets you sample the full thirty years and take it from there as to what you like and should investigate further. It should always be available.

6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just looked at the tracklist - definitely some gems on there, and a must for the official release completist (aka insane person) because it has the full Eyes of the World from 10-19-74.
    minor correction - Garcia played PS on 'the farm' on Volunteers, not guitar. Also he may be on more than one track on the Stephen Stills 2 album and I think is only on a couple of tracks on 'Demon in Disguise' and not the entire album.

You even got the 2 Surrealistic Pillow outtakes covered on Early Flight, great list.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree about So Many Roads. It may be a great intro, but I was well past that stage when I picked it up.
    The Beautiful Jam, Watkins Glen Jam and the complete Eyes are definitely worth the price of admission, but the full version of Eyes should have been on the 5 CD soundtrack and both of those jams should have the full show released anyway.
    That being said, I'll be putting on the recent Garcia Live set soon. Haven't heard all of it yet. The first set was a little ragged.

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Not everyone’s cup of tea... but to also give us those final studio recordings was a very nice touch, We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. But yes...back to Jerry... in this thread there will always be more that unites than divides. :righton:

Joti Cover, Billy_Sunday and trd like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's a great jam, but it's a stretch to call it "Here There and Everywhere". It sounds a lot closer to Paul Pena's "New Train", which Garcia and Saunders both appear on:

The previous night at Homer's Warehouse is also a smoker, featuring another long instrumental jam. The second guitarist on those shows is believed to be George Tickner from the original lineup of Journey.

Apropos of nothing, if you haven't heard Paul Pena's original version of "Jet Airliner", you really need to.

In terms of material to release, there's still plenty of good stuff out there (whether it's in the vault is another question).

• We could use more of the pre-Fierro Garcia/Saunders band. Pacific High or any other show from 72 would be most welcome.
    • There are much hotter shows from '75 and '76 than what's been released in the Garcia Live series (again, availability may be an issue).
    • There are some incredibly hot JGB shows from the early 80s, an era that's barely been touched (other than the winter 1980 shows that have been released already). I've got a couple from 1981 that will burn the paint off your walls.
    • Plus the whole mid-80s has yet to be mined thoroughly. That was an era of very short shows (three-song sets, occasionally) but there must be some good stuff. Maybe a post-coma show from late 1986?
    • 1993-1995, as someone else mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  10. uzn007

If this one exists in the vault, it would be a prime candidate for release.

carville, adamos, rockinlazys and 3 others like this.
  11. uzn007

Another scorcher from the early 80s.

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I seem to recall paul pena opening for Garcia and saunders at the great American music hall in s.f. 8/74 when I was there. billy was playing drums that night and I had the chance to talk to him between sets. that was my first time at the venue. I was there two more times. saw hot tuna there with their new drummer during the same vacation in summer of 74 and then the following year I saw the famous dead show on 8/13/75. needless to say I have fond memories of the club.

13. uzn007

Here's what Youtube served up to me after that Saddle Rack '82 show:

I'd buy the hell out of a few releases like that.

adamos, rockinlazys and budwhite like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

YES! My favorite Don't Let Go. Although it wouldn't be the same without the guy in the audience yelling out "Beautiful!" in a NY accent right after Garcia comes back in with a beautiful indeed series of notes after laying out for others' solos.

carville, uzn007, adamos and 2 others like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cleveland '83 is another barn burner from that era worthy of release.

uzn007, adamos and rockinlazys like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Great American Music Hall is still going strong, and still probably my favorite Bay Area venue although there are quite a few great ones around, including some newer ones.

17. runonguinness

Ooh, a reliable witness account that Bill not Paul Humphrey was drumming for Jer and Merl in Aug 74 at GAMH! Do you have an exact date by any chance?

trd likes this.
  18. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Speaking of 1983 JGB, Here is a rare SB (as in SB`ds are rare for JGB) from The Boston Orpheum Theatre, 12/3/83. Early and late shows.
    They were very funky (as in the musical sense ;)) this year !!

Bobby did not end up opening for reasons that escape me, but we did get Rick Danko as a fine fill in !!

19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

New Train is a great album. Jerry plays pedal steel on Venutian Lady.

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  20. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Nice show, the next night 6/1/83 second set was my favorite set of the tour. Even if the SDB and show are only decent I think 10/4/86 The Triumphant Return... was such a special show and would make a fine release. The Saddle Rack was a fun place to see the JGB and Neil as well.

21. davmar77

i wrote in on my calendar as aug 14,1974. the garcia site only shows aug 15 so either i was off by a day when i wrote it down when i got back home several days later or their site is off. although, the circulating recording has a note that it was originally listed as 8/14 but is now known as 8/15 so that would be the answer. either way it's one of those two dates. i also saw them with billy on 8/23 for a benefit show in Berkeley. we managed to grab front row when the doors opened. here's a very rare flyer for that from my collection.

[​IMG]

22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Great flyer and lineup Dave !

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  23. trd

trd Forum Resident

I just moved to SJ a few months back and ended up moving right near where the old saddle rack was. It’s apartments now but one of the streets is named saddle rack. Definitely one of the South Bay GD landmarks

24. davmar77

It was cheap too maybe 4.00 a ticket if I remember correctly. Funny thing about the Rowan bros at this show. Some folks on line were asking who they were thinking they would be seeing the allman bros. Best set of the show was Taj. He closed the night with just a bass player and guitarist I believe. That was the only time I went to this venue.

25. davmar77

I forgot to mention about paul Humphrey. I didn't see the band again until 11/74 and was wondering about the new drummer so that was my first time seeing him. That was c w post college.