Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's been awhile since I corresponded with the Garcia people, but I think I need to add 'reissue Side Trips' to my 'put out some Reconstruction' mantra.

2. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

That New Wave keyboard sound is one reason why I really love that Keane release & other shows on that tour. Probably my favorite JGB of all.

vegafleet likes this.
  3. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Right on! :righton:

frightwigwam likes this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I will check it out.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I would love to see 3/7/82 Saddlerack San Jose released. Jerry in top form, with Kahn on one set and Torbert on the other. Too bad Phil didn't show for the encore and hat trick!

6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Back to basics this morning with more Pure Jerry, 2/28/86 San Rafael.

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. trd

trd Forum Resident

I currently live across the street from where The Saddle Rack originally stood. They even changed the street name to honor th place. Didn’t realize that when I moved here, just an amusing coincidence

SteveFff and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Cool! I used to work in Los Gatos. Have you heard the show I'm talking about? Killer! I couldn't make the show that night, so I had to settle for taping an FM broadcast on KFAT. I still play the cassette. I heard the place was a barn, with mechanical bulls and waitresses dressed like cowgirls.

frightwigwam, Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  9. trd

trd Forum Resident

Oh yeah, phenomenal show and would love to see it realeased. It definitely sounds like it was a rowdy place, I’m trying to imagine the scene ha

Crispy Rob and Jerry like this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

It is avail as Import 2CD. Called Midnight Moonlight on Keyhole 2015. Billy on drums too. I've got a copy coming from Germany prolly next week.

Joe Spivey and Jerry like this.
  11. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

God bless the legal loophole for radio broadcasts in UK/Europe! Have recently got quite a few killer GoGD sets with crispy SQ on disc.
    Give me physical media that will outlast the ravages of time and corporate planned obsolescence, or GIVE ME DEATH. Lols.

Erik B. likes this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This song came up on shuffle for me last night and I was really, really into it, thinking, "man, why haven't I pulled this out more often, this has such a great groove".

OH! That's why, that blasted touchtone phone thing. Just, why?

trd likes this.
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Legion of Mary, The Jerry Garcia Collection Vol. 1. Just picked this up this compilation; I’ve never heard it before. I read that there are some recording anomalies and “interesting” choices from Fierro but sounds good so far, I like it.

14. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I just saw this post on a torrent site. Looks like another Jerry release is in the works.

"The powers that be contacted me because I took photos at the 1987 Garcia Eel River show and they might use a few for the upcoming Garcia on the Eel '87, '89, '91 release. Not sure when it is going to be available but I imagine sometime early next year. Loved all those Eel shows."

More Jerry is a good thing.

talkingleaf, Erik B., Ezzie and 12 others like this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

upcoming Garcia on the Eel '87, '89, '91 release.

Really!?

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This box has been a dream of mine for a long time. I was at the ‘89 and ‘91 shows and it was the best setting I ever saw Jerry play in, just a beautiful spot with a river and hills with tall trees behind the stage in what seemed like a natural amphitheater, and both shows were played really well and had some very rare songs in their set lists. And more ‘87’acoustic JGAB is always welcome. I hope this is not just a rumor, because it really is my pipe dream JGB release!

Was anyone else among us at any of these? I imagine so...

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Looks very nice! I was just surprised that they're doing a box with different years

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Erik B., ianuaditis, Ezzie and 7 others like this.
  18. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Let's hope it happens. Seems like a great idea for a box set. I'd like to see more Jerry releases as none of us are getting any younger.

I was there in 1991. As you mentioned, what a beautiful spot. That and the Squaw Valley shows made for some nice outdoor Jerry shows.

ianuaditis, Ezzie, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The nicest place I saw the JGB was at The Last Chance Saloon in Poughkeepsie. :mad:

ianuaditis and Ezzie like this.
  20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

If true-nice idea for a box. Acoustic and electric. Good years.

ianuaditis, Ezzie and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Wait, this is the show with "Twilight"?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hooteroll? My favourite album in the entire Dead universe. It's incredible.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I never made it to a Squaw Valley show but heard great things from those who did... and have skied there of course.

John69 likes this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The ‘91 show, yes.

25. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

That GL9 was rough, in my world. Couldn’t deal with Martin Fierro’s contributions, certainly during La La and ANW, but really, anywhere. I just find that he doesn’t add in the way I enjoy, and it’s closer to, he distracts from the song(s) at hand. Much as I love Garcia’s playing and singing in 73-74, those shows with horns have ended up in the (rare) “no thanks” category for me.

Me? Probably the best venues I got to hear solo Jerry were Music Mountain and Lunt Fontaine (from like second or third row, one of my most cherished show memories).

The Band’s Twilight? Twilight is the loneliest time of day? If so, I had no idea Jerry ever covered that tune.

Eel River box sounds like a good idea to me. Yes, Please!

Crispy Rob and trd like this.