Got LIVE if you want it

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ferric, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I've been reading this thread with fascination. Lukpac, perhaps you can make this clear for me. Are you all saying there are at least three different versions of this album(1: the original London version. 2: The 80's ABKCO issue. and 3: the newly remasterd version)? I'm confused!

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

While I haven't heard it, I believe the SACD is the same as the old ABKCO CD.

There are two main versions (LP version and ABKCO version), although the LP version has several variations:

- mono mix
    - stereo mix (some different editing from the mono mix)
    - London CD (stereo mix, but with fade downs/ups between songs, with some added crowd noise to make this possible)

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

The worst case of this ever, IMO, was Duke Ellington's Newport '56 LP, which sold a boatload of copies in the day. The mics weren't placed very well by Columbia's crew, so some of the performance was not on their tapes (though, those missing parts were captured through another mobile unit's crew and the 2 mono tapes were synced up into stereo, which allowed for this wonderful CD release).

Demand for a release was so great, such was the buzz they created that day. So Ellington & crew cut the entire album in the studio, with dubbed in audience noise to give the impression of a live event. A total scam, and the original liner notes played the whole thing off as if this were the concert itself!!

It's wonderful to finally hear the original deal.

4. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Re: Re: Got LIVE if you want it

Yes, the 2 CD reissue is great to have and the reissue engineering work by Mark Wilder is first-rate. I will only add that you might want to take the liner notes by Phil Schaap with a grain of salt. Schaap is infamous for his ego and the liberties he takes with facts regarding the reissues that he produces.

In the case of Ellington at Newport '56, Schaap's liner notes makes himself the main hero in a detective story about discovering the alternate live tapes by Voice Of America. In fact, collectors and other producers have long known about the Voice Of America tapes and have been lobbying Columbia for decades to release them.

Schaap also insults the original producer of the album, George Avakian, for all the post-production and makes it seem like Ellington went along with it against his will. Many scholars actually believe it was Ellington that requested the studio session to fix the live tapes (it's believed Ellington even made this request days before the live concert took place).

Also, Ellington (in his autobiography) thanks his life-long friend Avakian for helping to revitalize his career with the album.

That being said, it is great to hear the live tracks at last, and the studio tracks are fun to listen to as well...

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I did---it is. The real shame here is that the SACD would have sounded wonderful if they just used the original stereo LP version , since it basically IS a studio album. Instead, what we got is a horrible sounding mess that actually sounds WORSE than the 3 Got Live EP tracks that show up on Out Of Our Heads & December's Children!
    BTW, if anybody is curious as to what Brian Jones' vocals sounded like, just listen to the isolated, studio BGVs on the Got Live LP or the BGVs on the first album (Keith didn't sing yet---all BGVs were Brian & Bill).
    And I'll say it one more time--I don't see HOW this can be considered "keeping to the original spirit of the LPs". :realmad:

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

ellington '56

This is all very interesting. Thanks for the insights!

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Indeed...

Are you sure about that? I can hear Keith loud and clear on Got Live, anyway, and the album cover has a picture of him singing, so...

Those always sounded like Keith's vocals on Tell Me to me. You're sure those are Brian?

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The comment was only supposed to be referring to the first LP, where only Brian & Bill are credited with BG vocals. The BGs on Got Live are Keith & Brian.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Got LIVE if you want it

Are you sure about that? I know *some* tracks were overdubbed/redone in the studio, but I was under the impression that some actually were live, in particular Diminuendo/Crescendo In Blue. For all the talk of the "missing solo", you can still hear it on the "Columbia" side of the stereo mix (albeit not *quite* as clearly), and there's no studio or "production" version of it on the set. Also, Diminuendo/Crescendo is NOT listed as a "Previously Unreleased Track" (as some of the other live tracks are), which again seems to indicate they did in fact use the live version for the original album.

I don't have the original issue of this, so...anyone?

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Hmm, I'll check my copy later. It might be true that some of the tracks were indeed live. It could also be they tacked on the riot business to the end of Diminuendo/Crescendo In Blue on the original LP, since the myth persists that the crowd got unruly at this point in the show. See Paul Gonsalves' page on AMG to see what I mean.

I did notice the same thing with Gonsalves' "missing solo" - i.e. not entirely missing. But for the length of time it carries on, it is a bit irritating to hear it so low in volume (listening just to the Columbia tape). I don't think that track is reproduced with the "studio" tracks so I don't know what the original release sounded like. Maybe they did an overdub or some other shenanigans for the LP???

11. krabapple

krabapple New Member

another infamously overdubbed 'live' album (to fans at least)is Yes'
    Keys to Ascension, where the vocals were all redubbed in the studio.
    (And several of the tracks are composites of two live performances -- another common practive in 'live' albums.)

Regarding the Stones live stuff, can anyohne point me to a concise
    summary of what if anything was done to 'Get Yer Ya Ya's Out' between the shows and the product? And differences between the various released versions?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Try this:

http://members.aol.com/jmpjflash/yaya.htm

[if that doesn't work, try http://hometown.aol.com/chrism42/stones.htm and click on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!: The Source Shows and Overdubs"]

I'm not aware of any "alternate versions" of that album.

13. krabapple

krabapple New Member

14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

All of the Dick's Picks live Grateful Dead CDs aren't tampered with in any way. They have twenty-something as of this writing and I have them all.:D

15. Matt

Matt New Member

Anyone have this? I did some research, and I get the feeling this may get the vote for best live recording by the Stones:

Perth, Australia 2/24/73 (aka "Rocks Off")

After "Exile," before "Goat's Head Soup."

16. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yup, I've got it. You're right, it is good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.