Got my vintage McIntosh MC-30 monoblocks yesterday!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve, I can only comment on the 8B with Sventlana EL-34's as I haven't been able to snag any Mullards at a decent price, yet.

I have the 8B hooked to a 7 classic Pre with an SA-1 and don't find the combo bright at all. In fact, it sounds dynamic and balanced with great Bass esp. with Rock and Jazz. Your "Willie And the Poor Boys" SACD in on heavy rotation with this combo!

But Frank and Dino just don't have the magic for me with this set-up. Which brings us back to the 30's again!

One more twist: How do SET amps compare as far a midrange magic?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

SET amps are great, but nothing I've ever heard (at least for under 20 grand) has that exact Mac 30 sound. The Mac does one thing well, but what a thing!

3. MARKM

MARKM Member

Hi Dean,

Sorry to be OT - but how did you get on with that Realistic tuner (all tube) ?

MarkM.

PS - SET amps do have a special something - I can only comment on some of the models from Cary. Clean(er) mains pays big dividends with (for e.g.) 300B amps. I run both vintage PP and modern 300B kit.

4. Dean De Furia

Mark, Haven't got the tuner,yet but it's on it's way!

I'll let everyone know when I see it in person.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Dean,

Congrats! :cheers: I bet ya would like the pairing of the first release C-20 w/ your 30's. :)

Enjoy,
    Jeffrey

6. Dean De Furia

Bet I would!

It sounds "right" with the C22, though.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Dean,

I hear ya! I also stongly prefer to pair vintage McIntosh amps w/ Mac preamps. :agree:

Happy listenin',
    Jeffrey

8. Dean De Furia

Small update:
    I replaced the 5U4GB rectifer tubes with some "St" bottle 40's vintage 5U4G's that my friend (and fellow forum menber) Bill had lying around. It seems to has "sped" up the amp somewhat to the point where rock 'n roll is sounding pretty darn good right now. They look really cool too, like a 300b tube.

I had these things on almost non-stop for a week now and they just sound better and better!

9. Steve Hoffman

Funny. My 5U4G's seemed to really bog down the sound. So much so that I immediately removed them and put back the RCA GB's.

10. Dean De Furia

Steve, yeah I figured I would try them for the heck of it. They are Phillips brand 5U4G's and they seem to really sound good. Pehaps it was a combo effect because I took out the RCA 6l6Gc's that came with the amp and put in the GE's I had in my 240 at the same time.

I'll go back and retry the GB's.

We'll see if that changes over time.

11. Dean De Furia

Steve, I just had to go back and figure out why the 5U4G's sounded better. I tested both GB's on my tube tester (the only tubes I didn't test when I got the amps) and low and behold one is just above the min mark and the other is just below.

Could the fact that the GB's are weak cause the slowness in the amps? The "coke bottle" tubes both test well into the green.

12. Steve Hoffman

Get yourself a fresh pair of 5U4GB's. They are cheap enough if you get NOS. I like Tung-Sol, RCA, Sylvania....

In the meantime, take those duds out of there and use your good ones...

13. Dean De Furia

14. Steve Hoffman

Good. Rectifier tubes last forever and if those test bad they must have really caused your amps to "sag".....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.