Got new speakers and I'm.....underwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zonka, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need some advice, guidance, information, anything to help me understand this. Here's my deal:
    I've been using a Polk 7.1 set up with a Yamaha v375 (70 watts per 2 channel). I only have the L and R set up with my Polks (so 2.1) and I thought they sounded great with the sub. But like many of you, I'm always chasing the next thing up the ladder and trying to upgrade.
    So, I purchased some Klipsch bookshelf speaker (rb-61 ii). Read nothing but rave reviews - an obvious, no brainer upgrade, right?
    Well, unboxed them, put them in the same area where I had my Polk's (though the Polk's are slightly upsized satellite speakers and the Klipsch are much bigger). I turned the crossover way down on my sub since the Klipsch's are supposed to handle the bass pretty well on their own....

I immediately thought the Polk's sounded waaaayy better - what gives? Checked my wiring, everything was ok. Here's the thing I really don't understand: The Polk's have a sensitivity of 89 compared to the Klipsch's 95 so the Klipsch's should be louder, right? I generally listened to the Polk's at about -25 to -32 dbs and I had to turn the Klipsch's up to -18, or so to get a similar volume.
    Do I just fundamentally not understand how all this works (very possible)? I know my receiver isn't overly powerful but I thought the Klipsch's would be significantly louder....

I'm stumped - any help, advice would be GREATLY appreciated....I wanted to love these speakers....I know they may need some break-in time but is there something wrong with my thinking or maybe something I didn't consider in my setup?

Thanks for reading:)
    Drew

2. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Hmm well first as to the loudness issue. The Klipsch spec. is 95dB @ 2.83V / 1m. The important part when comparing is the 2.83v. Your profile is empty so maybe you can fill in what gear you listen to. The point is no way to compare without knowing what Polk speakers you are referring to. Just for comparison, I would disconnect the sub-woofer from the amp and then compare the two. Again not knowing what sub you are using makes it hard to say more. Break in time has not much to do with it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Hmm, does it sound any louder when you cross over your sub at a higher freq like before?

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. CowFish

CowFish Forum Resident

Hi Drew,
    You gotta let those speakers break in before you pass a judgment. It's amazing what a difference 20+ hours, maybe even 50 hours of break in will do.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Maybe run them in but not so long you're beyond the point at which you can return them to the dealer...!

Muggles likes this.
  6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You have to run the calibration program again since you changed the speakers and crossover settings.

7. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

A 6dB increase in sensitivity for the Klipsch over the Polk should make them about twice as loud as the Polk for the same amount of input power. Something's not right!

People often bag Polk as not being a true audiophile speaker, but in my experience, I've never found a better price/performance ratio.

8. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

CowFish is right...you have to break those speakers in with time. About 30 years ago i upgraded my Polk speakers to a pair of JBL studio monitors. At first i thought i made a big mistake...but with time my ears adjusted to the difference between the two.
    Thirty years later they are still my go-to speaker system and have never considered a further upgrade,

hi_watt likes this.
  9. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

The body and mind are very good at getting used to things.Are we really breaking speakers in or just waiting for our ears to adjust to a sound we don't initially like?
    Example.When i got my new car recently the seats felt uncomfortable and hard compared to my previous car and felt strange when sitting in them.Now after a month they feel perfect,even through the seat shaped hasn't changed .My body has got got used to them and became accustomed to them.It could well be the same with perception of sound.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I think both is what happens.

I bought a used Rega Brio-R on this forum a few months ago. Common wisdom says that amps perform best when left powered on for a while, and many advocate leaving SS amps on 24/7. When I first got it home and set it up, I was disappointed. It sounded dark and 2D, especially after having had a Fisher tube amp in its place. I was ready to re-sell it.

I left it powered on overnight and all the next day, and the following evening listened again. This time it sounded amazing to me, very detailed, punchy and 3D. I can only conclude that it needed time to get the juice running through its veins.

I should hook the Fisher tubes up again, leave it on for a couple of hours, and listen again!

enfield likes this.
  11. zonka

I appreciate all the oponions. It's the volume thing that has me stumped.... The Polk system I have is rm705.
    I'll check the voltage on both and report back if it is thought that might be playing a part.
    Seems like no way the Polks should be louder....
    Thanks

12. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

To make a fair comparison, you cannot simply drop in a new pair of speakers and make a rough judgment call on subwoofer setting; you have to optimize the performance of the new speaker. That will mean adjusting the placement of the speaker (done by listening, primarily) and doing any sort of room/system calibration as F 1 nut mentioned above.

To do the break in that others have mentioned, you need to play the speakers at fairly loud volume for some time (but don't kill them in the process). To minimize the annoyance, you can place the speakers close together facing each other and then put the speakers out of phase (reverse the wiring on ONE of the speakers in the pair) so the sound actually cancels. Play recordings with a lot of deep bass to loosen the suspension on the bass driver.

The other aspect of "breaking in" is the listener getting familiar with the sound of the new speakers. It does take some time to become comfortable with a change, after which, you may like the new sound more than the old.

Good luck.

IanL and Kristofa like this.
  13. zonka

Ok, I made some adjustments and they sound better...still tinkering.
    Here's what I still don't understand: I have to turn volume up quite a bit higher with these than I did with my old Polks rated at a sensitivity of 89 (my new klipsch are 95).
    Is there any danger in having to turn it up to -9db if I need to for listening? I use to be able to leave it around -20db...I just don't get it.
    Any other suggestions highly appreciated.
    Thanks to those of you who have already taken the time to help me out:)

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry about the level indicator. I think the problem you are having is with sensitivity being relative. You can't compare the two speakers as they are different sizes.

You would need a speaker the size of the Klipsch at 89 to hear a difference is my point.

pdxway likes this.
  15. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Did you already compare with using the same crossover point for subwoofer like before (like when you have the Polk) and set the speaker size to small in your Yamaha?

16. zonka

Yes I did that. I havent, though, run yamaha's YPAO room correction yet (can't find a quiet time with a 3 and 5 year old running around).
    Thanks

17. zonka

Never considered that....excellent point. Wouldn't you think, though, that small speakers would need more power to get them louder than bookshelf speakers?
    That may be counterintuitive. ..I, obviously, am pretty uneducated about this stuff (I'm a high school math teacher - you would think I should know a little of the science behind this!)
    Thanks for your reply:)

18. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

No need to "peer-sevorate" over this. The Klipsch is clearly not an upgrade for you within the confines of your room and current equipment. Take them back.

19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nice - I'm looking to become a HS math teacher -but I have to prepare for that dreaded AES test - and it has been years (graduated 95) since I've completed calc/trig/etc. On my off time I'm studying.

Cheers!

20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Definitely - if one is not happy with them - if they are not much of an upgrade - send em back - no need to keep them. I've only heard the big Klipsch (which I own) and am extremely happy with them.

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

a 6" woofer with a stiff rubber surround .. that 95dB is pure fantasy.

The tweeter can probably hit it, but it is going to be padded way down to match the woofer.

You need horn loading to get that kind of efficiency out of a woofer.

KT88 and CowFish like this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

+1

Hearing is believing. Go by what your ears hear, not by what your logic tells you to expect. :)

Kristofa and CowFish like this.
  23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Ears rule. And 95 dB is fantasy unless the 6.5" driver is a pure pro audio style midrange driver with about a 1.5 mm Xmax, which it is not.

Don't like it after you've gotten close to the time period you need to send back with full refund coming?? Return and try again or keep the Polks.

KT88 likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Klipsch speakers are raved about everywhere and to say I've found them underwhelming would be kind. I find them harsh, "screamy", fatiguing, and frankly irritating. There is literally nothing I appreciate about them.

The reason I bring this up is not to infuriate the loads of people who love their Klipsch but rather to illustrate that you just might appreciate the sound signature of your previous speakers and/or simply Polk speakers in general.

I'd instead suggest you return them and buy newer/better Polk speakers. My guess is you'll be presented with what you love, only more of it. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Jack Flannery, F1nut, Ctiger2 and 2 others like this.
  25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Klipsch is all about the Heritage line. If the OP is ever in Prescott - he can look me up - and hear what big old Klipsch sound like with tube amps. Not harsh, not screamy(unless of course the source material is harsh/screamy/fatiguing.)

Nothing like hearing the blues played over some Cornwalls.

smctigue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.