Got new speakers and I'm.....underwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zonka, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

this
    get better speakers.
    if you only have 350$ for speaker, do not buy modern if you care about SQ, go vintage and even then, id try to raise some money until you can afford something decent

Ghostworld, RiCat and Helom like this.
  2. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I can't imagine not liking the 10.2s if the receiver is up to driving them. I presume you'd grab them from Music Direct or another vendor with a return policy.(?) A potential hassle, though I guess I also look at the return shipping cost as a potentially worthwhile rental payment. I grabbed a pair of 10.1s last fall and they're just a very easy listen, with clean, tight bass that is surprisingly robust with the right recordings. No ear pain on top and really nice mids.

There are also some stupid good deals on Polk RTI speakers, especially from the Polk ebay store ($180 shopped for the RTiA1 and $224 shipped for the RTiA3). They do give you that extra 3dB of sensitivity. I bought my son a pair of RTi4s (5"ers) when he was in college and they were nice. Prominent, but not painful highs. Bass was looser IIRC, though.

Here are measurements for the 10.1 and RTiA1 from Stereophile. The Polks are definitely easier for an amp, it would appear. They also have more tipped up highs- good or bad, depending on the set of ears.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 loudspeaker Measurements

Polk RTi A1 loudspeaker Measurements

Isaac K. likes this.
  3. geddyfleaharris

geddyfleaharris Forum Resident

Good and timely thread for me. I just got back into vinyl and have bought a system for my 50th birthday, and speakers were the most confusing/concerning part of my setup. I did a lot of reading of reviews and articles on the various manufacturers and toughed it out with my headphones for awhile until I was ready to make a choice. For my lifestyle, a bookshelf system makes the most sense. Crutchfield recommended Klipsch, and I looked seriously at the Polk Audio offerings as well. I ultimately went with the Elac B6's and am absolutely blown away by the dynamics, full range, and volume from such a small speaker. The clarity is stunning - I will certainly progress to their tower speakers in the future. Highly recommended.

AmericanHIFI and SpeedMorris like this.
  4. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

You and I must be in very similar situations. I also just turned 50 and was looking to upgrade my equipment:)

geddyfleaharris likes this.
  5. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've finally found some clarity but I've got a few new questions. I'm definitely returning the Klipsch speakers - thank you for those that gave me that advice. I was definitely mistaken in thinking it was an automatic upgrade, particularly with my middle of the road equipment. One thing I noticed was that if I moved off the sweet spot at all the sound degraded substantially, in my opinion. Then, in the middle of my endless research (remember, I'm a teacher - so I research, and research.....). I came across three different reviews on three different sites saying something interesting about a some bookshelf speakers - they all said they sounded great regardless of where they are placed, even off axis. That got my attention (along with other stellar reviews) so I ordered a pair to try. They are KEF Q100s - they sound amazing with my other pieces (Oppo 103 and Yamaha rx-v375). I absolutely love these speakers - my wife has a pretty good ear and she loved them instantly - called them very balanced and thought they sounded great in our kitchen (connected to our great room - a big space). Adjectives I also read in several reviews about the KEF Q100s.
    So here are my new questions:

1) They do sit on a shelf but there are no side walls (just some rod iron) so there is a lot of air and space. But there is a shelf above (about 6 or 7 inches above the top of the speaker). I assume it isn't great to have something like a shelf above a speaker but our room won't allow me to put them on stands. Anything I should know placement-wise that can help with the shelf above issue? I still think they sound great, though - always looking for ideas for improvement.

2) Still a power concern with my Yamaha at 70 watts per channel (2 channel driven). I have to turn a lot of my music up to -15 or -10 to hear it moderately loudly (not so much with my old Polk setup which still baffles me). I have two young kids so I don't blast much music. My spl meter shows about 70-72 db at my listening position (at a volume on my receiver of -15 to -10 db). My receiver is set to go to +10 as a maximum (would be waaaayyy too loud for me anywhere close to that). Do any of these numbers suggest a problem with my receiver's ability to drive these speakers? I do use a sub to help with the low frequencies. If no, then I'm set. I'm hoping I won't have to get a new receiver. It will be my next upgrade but I can't afford it right now after buying the speakers.

Thanks again to all of you for chiming in and lending me your expertise, experience, and suggestions. They really helped me see this whole thing more clearly.

By the way, I had already ordered the Wharfedale 220s (10.2 weren't available). They will be tomorrow so I think I'll audition them as well just to see - but I have a hard time believing they'll be noticeably better than the KEFs - but we'll see.

6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I have a question for those of you familiar with the speakers under discussion in this thread.

So considering a pair of these speakers and an entry/mid level receiver, do you think they sound better than the Audio Engine 5+ ?

I had an experience with the Dali Zensor active vs. the AE 5+ and the latter simply outclasses the Dali. In fact, given the great reviews for the Dali I was kind of shocked because either they are really bad or the AE is a killer.

7. geddyfleaharris

geddyfleaharris Forum Resident

Happy belated! I'm really enjoying the vinyl experience again - the format DEMANDS that you listen to the performance. Quite a change in this fast-forward MP3/streaming environment we find ourselves in.

8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Congrats I always hear good things about KEF.

9. Did you ever run the room correction software with the Klipsch?

I would imagine that running your new speakers with the room correction for a different set of speakers would be less than optimal...

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

As pointed out multiple times, re-run the room correction before doing anything else.

If your room correction does a phase or distance correction on the sub based on the Polk measurements it could be causing a phase issue with the klipsch.

A phase issue could make the bass and overall level sound weaker.

It's might not cure your problem but running the klipsch with the polk correction is not letting you hear the klipsch.

Jack_Straw and The Pinhead like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm not the least bit surprised the Kefs sound better. I own some Klipsch Heresys and love them, but I don't like Klipsch's entry level stuff. Totally different animals.

Jack Flannery and rebellovw like this.
  12. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I agree with most of what you say.Any speakers that 'needs to be used with tube amplification' just screams 'harsh treble' to me.Its a shame that none of the Klipsch speakers have the sound signature i prefer because i do like the retro look of the units.

13. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

It might be worth considering the Polks are better speakers for you. Personally, I have never cared for the new Klipsch. I have never heard B&H that I remotely liked either, regardless of price level. And I have tried.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I bought a set of KEF speakers back in 2003 and remember using the two Q1 bookshelves for an experiment with an original Sonic Impact T-Amp and how impressed I was by how good they sounded.

I still keep my old Q5 in the living room so I'm not surprised that (providing KEF engineering didn't take a nosedive during the last 14 years) you found the KEF to be pleasing.

However I did listen once to the KLIPSH RB-6. They are not bad speakers at all IMHO, and I think that re-calibrating the room with REW or the Yamaha room calibration software should have done some good there.

15. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

B&W.

16. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

17. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

That should read that you have to break your hearing in. ;)

18. JeffTamarack

JeffTamarack Well-Known Member

Probably best to take them back then grab a coffee and spend your time listening to some speakers at a few HiFi shops hooked to comparable gear of your own. The whole HiFi addiction cycle is perpetuated by getting your upgrade fix; you deserve a good buzz from your latest purchase.

I have a bad habit of getting lost in reviews and specs and subsequently pricing but your ears know what’s best and they are what ultimately needs to be satisfyied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.