Gotham-Batman Prequel Series on Fox, Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another solid episode this week...

I agree young Bruce is the weakest character on the show.

2. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I keep waiting for the turning point where he gains the personality traits that help him become Batman. Alfred is trying his best, but anytime something doesn't go his way, Bruce gets petulant and whiny.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think Bruce is an interesting character as written and given his situation I think he is coping well, and I think the actor is good. It's easy to forget how young he is and what he has gone through and how difficult it is that he has going on now and in the near future.

Glad to see Ron Rifkin on board, he's a great actor, and his will be an interesting twist.

musicalbeds likes this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I had given up on this show after last season's finale and the only reason I kept watching season two was because I forgot to delete it from my DVR subscription. I figured "what the heck?" and watched the first two episodes. It has really improved. I do hope at some point that the Bruce character figures out how to be good at at least one thing that I would enjoy watching, but other than that, it is enjoyably nutso as opposed to season one where it was frustratingly nutso.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Interesting how this season they've made Gordon into the good guy with a dark side, he's basically Batman now without the get-up. Also interesting how they've made Bruce Wayne the absolutely most boring character, bar none, in the entire show! Besides speaking in a stilted, adult manner, there's none of the physical or mental brilliance that should be manifesting itself at an early age. I don't see this kid ever becoming Batman, where as the Selina Kyle character is being perfectly handled, hell, she could be called Catgirl right now! Another interesting concept that may or may not be expanded on is how the Joker seems to be a frame of mind in Gotham. 1st we had the character that everyone thought was gonna be The Joker, but he died. This last episode, in an alleyway, there was graffiti depicting red clown lips with "ha, ha, ha's". Don't know how they could possibly explain this, but it seems to make Gotham City a more mythical place!

xdawg likes this.
  6. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

In my opinion, Ben McKenzie's portrayal of Gordon is getting tiring. It's very
    flat and he just alternates between a scowl & a deadpan look. With a forced
    smile thrown in now and then.

I think the kid playing Bruce is doing fine. He has a very guarded demeanor and
    trust issues. Expected from a child who saw their parents murdered in front of
    them. Alfred (and Selina to a lesser degree) seems to be the only one he feels
    comfortable showing any emotions. Hopefully his confidence will build as his
    training continues.

Barbara was just getting interesting as a character. Very Joker-like in the church.

Lonson likes this.
  7. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I think Bruce's character is meant to be weak, inexperienced, and unable to convey much emotion.... he's supposed to be stopped up, and becomes Batman because of it.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can't believe how violent it is for a standard network 8:00 PM TV Show. Great season so far btw.

kevywevy likes this.
  9. I guess you never watched Hannibal?

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No, it's not something that interests me.

11. I've heard that from others. I think Hannibal is one of the best shows ever created for television. I am totally surprised it was on a Network for three seasons. It's a cinematic masterpiece with amazing writing acting directing and cinematography A stunningly beautiful and of course creepy show.

Lonson and Deuce66 like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

guess I need to check this out then….

13. It's Artsy sort of like the film 7even. Follows the series of books except for the one with Clarice (Silence of the lambs)

14. I wish the Bruce Wayne character was a few years older. He seems too young to be dealing with this stuff. The actress that plays Selena is awesome.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Anyone know if season 2 is going to be available in Australia?

16. The problem is that this kid is on the cusp of being a teenager and we've gotten absolutely nothing from him so far that one day he'll become the world's greatest detective or most feared fighter. This series is actively damaging the Batman mythos by turning Bruce Wayne into a crybaby.

17. Really ? remember how all the bats freaked him out and made him cry in the last series of films? He's young and sort of innocent still. Doesn't know when a girl is messing with him. He will learn fast now with Alfred's help.

Lonson likes this.
  18. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Young Master Bruce finally came around on last night's episode (one of the best so far, imo). THAT was a Batman-like performance!

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think the growth of the Bruce Wayne character through the two seasons has been interesting and about as realistic as something can be in this alternate universe of tv comicbookedness. He's young, he's coming out of trauma and he's finding his way with the help of a crusty old warrior and a street wise thief. This episode was a very good one.

jriems, Vidiot and kevywevy like this.
  20. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Anakin Skywalker was quite the crybaby too, it didn't stop him from becoming Darth Vader.

Chad

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Where is the spicy mustard?

DesertChaos likes this.
  22. Give him time. He'll be learning the Batusi soon enough.

ArpMoog likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Great episode. What would truly be wonderful if this show carried on until we actually
    Got the Batman. I know it will never happen but one can dream.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As much as I'm enjoying the show, I found myself thinking that Benjamin McKenzie (Gordon) did better work in the 1st season. And I realize that this season shows him descending into a dark place, but he seems to have 2 expressions, scowling and snarling. I think he showed a bit more range during the 1st season. The dude needs to lighten up! If I were him I'd spend some more time with my sweet doctor girlfriend, maybe catch a few episodes of Homeland!;)

25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Glad to see Morena Baccarin getting a lot of screen time this season. I loved her in Firefly and
    she was unforgettable in her guest shot on The Good Wife.

jriems likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.