'Gotti' has FORTY-FOUR (44) credited producers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me too,will go as soon as possible.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Free speech is why. Acid pens are allowed, just as you are allowed to ignore the review.

Graham, Jim B. and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

And the positive audience score has apparently been manipulated by Moviepass.

I can't understand people in this thread still saying they are going to see it. I expect they work for Moviepass as well. I mean even if it was a plot that seemed interesting with a zero percent score its not worth wasting money on what is clearly a terrible film.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Please get back to the topic - Movie reviews and the effect on the industry is topic for another thread - thanks!

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Good point. I will not be seeing this movie, but it's not because of bad reviews. May wait for a less expensive alternative.

stereoptic likes this.
  6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Maybe not complete, but Favila, Downes, and, of course, Travolta were also credited producers on "Battlefield Earth", so ...

7. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Funny, but isn't that just a variation of the one involving Mussolini (or Hitler, can't remember) making the trains run on time?

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The critics that matter to me -- NY Times, LA Times, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Deadline Hollywood, etc. -- all say the movie really sucks. That's tough to overcome for me.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Saw it. It's not good.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There you have it folks. The only review you probably need to read. :righton:

fr in sc and jjh1959 like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Given that all critics hated it period, wasn't it inevitable those would hate it, too? :)

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

With all the reviews and all that, I still bought the DVD of "Gotti". Now, understand, I'm a fan of Mob movies and have seen maybe hundreds of them going back to the 1930s. I know the bad ones and I know the good ones.

"Gotti" isnt nearly as bad as the critics made it out to be. Travolta gave what I thought was a very strong performance. He really is a fine actor. I didnt think the editing was all that great, going back and forth from Gotti in prison at the end of his life, to the 1970s and 1980s way to often. I really thought it should have been longer, maybe double the time that it was. There is a lot of story there, and they had to just gloss over a lot of material because of time constraints . I would have enjoyed a longer movie touching on other aspects of the man. But to me, it was a fairly good film. But thats just me.

I'd put this movie squarely in the middle of the pack of this genre of movies. It was well worth the 8 bucks I paid for the DVD.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gotti have one more.

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

:tsk:

15. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I agree. I saw it with my MoviePass last summer and it kept me interested. Travolta gave it his all and the results were impressive. It didn't deserve the beating critics gave it. Such a terrible rating on RT was highly suspicious in my view.

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed. For some reason John T doesnt get reviewed well these days. Honestly, I thought he did a nice job on "Gotti".

Michael and snowman872 like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The main reason is probably that he makes bad movies.

Last Travolta movie I liked was the "Pelham" remake from 2009. Since then he's done mainly junk... :shrug:

18. snowman872

Several reviews I read seemed to focus on the reviewer's belief that Gotti wasn't a deserving person to shoot a biography movie about. Yet there is no shortage of loathsome characters in film and TV from what I can see. Plus, I believe most people are a mixture of good and bad. Even evil people may have some good qualities or do something positive at times.

Travolta has definitely fallen out of favor. I think he never really recovered from Battlefield Earth.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

watched "Gotti". John did a nice job...so did his wife. ..at first I didn't recognize her...all around enjoyable...not great though...

snowman872 likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

actually I pretty much enjoy John in any movie...been a fan for many years...hey, we get old.

21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

This movie's so bad that it actually surprises me to read anything resembling praise for it. A terribly made movie featuring an actor who's clearly not engaged. If you want to see the movie done right, see Armand Assante, William Forsythe, Anthony Quinn, and a buncha Sopranos alumni in the far superior movie; Gotti.

22. IIRC part of the criticism about the movie was that it was overly sympathetic to Gotti, as if he was just a hardscrabble guy who did what he had to and was unfairly persecuted by The Man.

snowman872 likes this.
  23. snowman872

That's OK with me. I don't mind if a movie adopts a perspective that is not the popular or usual one. Gotti probably did feel that way and this was his story.

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I tell you with these polarizing reviews I will have to see this one eventually. I like Travolta and I never got this senseless need to down a man making a living.

He is charismatic and just a treat to watch. Is everything he did a masterpiece, no, but has he did a bunch of movies that are unfairly judged harshly...absolutely.

Be Cool is a prime example to me. I found his character dead on, and for a huge fan of Get Shorty, it delivered. I didn't watch it for years because of the harsh reviews and after I saw it I said WTF? What was wrong with that movie? It was just fine. Was it as good as the first movie, no. So what? It is a heck of a lot better than a great number of pathetic sequels I have seen through the years.

I am betting this is a lot closer to the truth, and "middle of the pack" is where I am living many times over when it comes to enjoying film. They can't all be the best of the best. That and people are sheep.

snowman872 likes this.
  25. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Most Italian-Americans are tired of Hollywood portraying them as gangsters and pizza makers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.