Gov't Mule The Deep End Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Dec 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw this 2CD + DVD set the other day, it somehow slipped out without me noticing. God I love this group, I'm surprised that more people on this forum don't talk about them. Warren Haynes is IMO one of the top guitarists currently active. This set was recorded during the NO Jazz fest this year, with many of great guest bass players. The DVD that comes with the set is incredible both musically and visually. It was filmed so that you can really watch what the players are doing rather than close ups of distorted faces (they are an ugly bunch so maybe thats why).

2. duse

duse Senior Member

I have not picked this up yet, but am hoping to get it for Christmas. How did you like Rising Low? How about the Brothers at the Beacon? I did not check where you live. Will you be able to make his Christmas Jam in Asheville? I have heard nothing but good reviews on his shows. He is definitely talented. Good exposure for him to be on the DMB DVD, although I have not seen that yet.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I live in Atlanta and saw the Brothers this September, I was sitting about 12 feet in front of Warren. Oddly I like his playing better in Mule. With the Allmans his solos and style don't vary enough from song to song. I won't be attending the Ashville show.

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I've also got this set, and agree that any Gov't Mule fan should own it. I also recommend the Allman Brothers "Live At The Beacon" DVD; it's excellent also.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am a big Warren fan. Have seen him numerous times with Phil and Friends, The Brothers.... but I have yet to catch The Mule live. Maybe soon.

I totally agree with you on his playing with the Allmans, in comparison to what he does with Phil and Friends and even Govt Mule (from what I see and hear on video and CD), it is not as varied. I saw The Allmans from the second row center at the PNC Banks Arts Center this summer, and it appeared that every Warren solo had a specific style that didn't vary, as you state.

6. Chemical Bill

Chemical Bill New Member

I borrowed this set and partook from the well. Warren is an incredable guitar player, Matt an excellent drummer, and all the bass players shone. I won't buy it though. I don't think their songwriting is as good as their playing. The songs I liked best were covers, and I tend to put a lot of emphesis on original music. That's my prejudice.

Bill

7. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I've seen Warren all over the place...With the Allman's/Phil & Phriends/solo/Mule/guesting with Dave Matthews a couple of times...the man is fantastic.

As for Mule shows...long jammin' blasts!

Bring your ear plugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.