Grace F9...Microphonic... couple or decouple?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PerryC, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerryC

PerryC Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been using a Grace F9L (stock) cartridge with a Jelco 10 inch arm. Table is a VPI HW19 mkII. On my other cartridges, I do not hear any noise even when the volume is up. With the F9, I hear every movement. Its like a microphone. Is this normal? Do I have to isolate the F9 or just leave it alone? Any suggestions?
    Sounds amazing though. Im just not sure if decoupling it will degrade the sound.

TIA

2. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Not sure what that means, every movement of what? You mean, when you touch the tonearm to cue it? Or you hear your girlfriend moving about in the other room, talking to her girlfriends about how you don't spend any time together anymore?

3. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Sounds like it could be a grounding issue.

4. PerryC

No grounding issues. No hum, very quiet actually. Zero background noise ( Ilove my VPI). Its like I have a microphone directed to my turntable. I hear all the movement I make. From touching the arm lift, raising the cue, like everything is being picked up by the cartridge. When volume is zero, of course I dont hear anything. I do not experience this when I switch to my other cartridges, only on the Grace F9.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's a quite high output cartridge. That makes it a more efficient generator and able to transfer more energy from the Lp surface at the same relative volume setting on your amplifier. You never want to isolate or use soft compliance mounting with a cartridge. Always rigidly couple the cartridge body with the tonearm or headshell assembly. The cartridge body should act as an extension of the tonearm and ideally so should the stylus act as an extension of the cartridge. This is why some makers of MM cartridge either don't have user replaceable stylus or they use a glue to make the mounting less resonant and why MC cartridges are popular with audiophiles. Maybe something within the tonearm or the arm mounting area on the table is a bit loose?
    -Bill

PerryC and thevoiceofvintagehifi like this.
  6. PerryC

Nothing loose. Like i said, only this particular cart. But this is the best sounding one thats why Its been there for awhile now. I just thought there was something wrong wiyh the F9.

7. Is this old, NOS or have you replaced/retipped the stylus recently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.