Grading LPs (help!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Patrick M, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius Thread Starter

Needs some opinions.

If a record has:

great luster
    no marks on the label
    no marks in the runout area
    one side absolutely perfect, under a bright light

The other side is also visibly perfect except for one thing:

It has a ligh scratch on the second side, maybe 2" long, which cannot be felt, and can only seen under good light with the record facing a certain way.

How would you grade the record overall?

2. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

For me, that would be Mint Minus. Others would probably grade it as Mint. My rule of thumb is what would I feel is the grade if I was the purchaser of the record.

Tom H

3. Tristan

Tristan Member

Patrick,
    I would say the proof is in the playing. If it plays cleanly, and the scratch on side 2 is totally inaudible, then perhaps considering grading it VG++ to NM-. Its also important to mention the inaudible scratch when selling the LP. IMO, that should put you close to current Goldmine standards. Good Luck!

4. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I was having an ulcer because this one mark essentially keeps the record from being about as close to (visually) perfect as you could imagine.

My question was whether to call it NM or VG+. I hate to call it VG+, cause it's really much nicer than VG+ implies to me. Because this is a fairly valuable record, though, I want to be very honest about its condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.