Grado Labs Prestige Black2 phono cartridge coming to me for review. List price, $75.00.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This is where all Grados have been produced since 1953: 4614 7th Ave, Brooklyn, NY.

This building has been owned by the Grado family since the early 20th century, and they used to operate a fruit stand on the first floor. The Grado family used to live upstairs.

[​IMG]

The people who make each one by hand:

[​IMG]

Grado Laboratory founder Joseph Grado was one of the original hifi golden age visionaries. Joe invented the moving coil cartridge in the '50s, but eventually focused his attention on developing moving iron cartridges, which is what Grado Laboratories continues to produce today.

[​IMG]

Joe retired in 1990 and sold Grado Laboratories to his nephew, John.

John and Jonathan Grado:
    Grado Laboratory's second and third generation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    TwiceFan, rcsrich, Old Rusty and 34 others like this.
  2. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I love Grado and the Grado story and vibe. I own a blue and two pairs of the headphones. I'll likely buy a new Prestige2 cart in the next few months, just because.

3. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Back in the 1980s I had a Grado MCX and then a MCZ. I really liked them so am curious how the Black sounds.

H8SLKC likes this.
  4. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Considering a cheaper cartridge while I ponder what to do with by busted Benz... Look forward to your impressions Steve!

H8SLKC likes this.
  5. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

A couple of years ago, I bought a used Grado Red 1. It played fine for awhile and then dropped a channel. I contacted Grado and they ask me to send it in. Not too long thereafter, I received back a brand new cartridge, which I still use. Service like that makes for loyal customers (at least for me).

I'm very curious about the "2" line of cartridges as well.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. action pact

This anecdote is consistent with others I've heard about Grado's customer service. It's not unusual to get a return call from John Grado himself.

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Cool. Is Grado an Italian name? And I always pronounced it Gray-dough is that the correct way?

8. action pact

Yes, it's an Italian name. I believe the Americanized pronounciation is indeed "Gray-dough."

H8SLKC and inperson like this.
  9. action pact

10. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing these pictures. It is great to see such a down to earth company and the people working there. I have never owned anything made by Grado but have always liked their stuff. I particularly like the old photos of Joe Grado. I really hope that this $75 cartridge turns out to be far better than it has any right to! All of my daughters' friends have vinyl and they are on tight budgets at their age. I hope this is one that I can comfortably recommend to them.

McLover and action pact like this.
  11. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

This makes me think of the amazing warranty that Bryston provides. Yes their gear is more expensive, but when asked about how they can afford to provide such a warranty that is not restricted to first owner, James Tanner stated (paraphrasing) that it had provided them with far more business and loyalty than if they hadn't. Good spirit goes a long way!

Umberto Callegarin and McLover like this.
  12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Awesome history lesson! I’ve never owned a Grah-doh (as I would pronounce it) nor can I recall hearing one. But I’m immensely appreciative of knowing this history. You made my day.

toddrhodes, action pact and H8SLKC like this.
  13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Well I just looked closely and there is RS II on the silver part of the body on the the underneath side. I must not have paid attention or simply forgot.
    I also have an old one that is tan somewhere stored away. Not sure I ever tried it and I can't remember the model.
    Both of these came from turntables I bought used and resold, but kept the carts because of the unique colors. Figured they might be something special, but never really researched it. It sounds like I should not only keep them, but have at least one in use on one of my tables all the time. The great thing if I did buy a 150.00 stylus and the cartridge went bad (bet it won't) I could always use the needle in a diff Grado I have. Or even a brand new one. That is called practical. Maybe that is one reason the Grado business has lived on. Hope they do for a long time.

Jack Keck and H8SLKC like this.
  14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yes they have great customer serice and a nice trade up program. Fine company imo.

H8SLKC likes this.
  15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

And nice to see Mr Hoffman reviewing some stuff at the other end of the price spectrum.

16. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Well said, all of that! I have to say that I am really happy that Grado has become inspired once more to move forward - but without failing to look back and remember the aspects they are famous for. Anyone else feel like we really are moving into a second Golden Age of analogue?

action pact and H8SLKC like this.
  17. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

That photo is just plain HOT!

timztunz, Robert C and H8SLKC like this.
  18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've found that using a thin, metal ruler to "extend" the GeoDisc's sight line makes the process MUCH easier to get through.

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  19. action pact

Can you post a photo of this please?

I gotta say, the old wooden Grado arms from the early '60s are excellent once restored and paired with a good set of interconnects. Much to my shock, it outperforms my Jelco SA-750D.

SandAndGlass, H8SLKC and Fiddlefye like this.
  20. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I love playing around with cheap cartridges. Looking forward to the review on this one. The redesigned '2' line intrigues me.

21. action pact

I just found some info about the RS-II (Reference Series II?), and it indeed corresponds to the modern Silver, but with the "old style" Grado soundstage that many of us prefer. Score!

This model was produced for overseas markets, and not retailed in the US.

This one has a date code of August 1981:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

H8SLKC and Fiddlefye like this.
  22. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Cool thanks. No unfortunately I cannot post pics. I can send via private email though.

23. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Hey Steve, you gonna slap that bad boy on the Avenger? ;)
    -Bob

H8SLKC likes this.
  24. G E

G E Senior Member

I have a Grado Black I used with my Harmon Kardan HK720 with great success. Still have it in a desk drawer.

Liked it so much I moved up to their intro woodie model the Reference Sonata.

Frank van Alstine up in Minnesota has a customized Grado for which he attaches a brass bar to the front of the cartridge. It's called The Longhorn.

Longhorn Phono Cartridges

I had one years ago. It sounded great and tracked everything. My system at that time was Pioneer pl12-d, dynaco PAT-4 pre Sony 3200f power amp and ESS7 speakers.

H8SLKC, bluemooze and McLover like this.
  25. action pact

That’s ok, I figured out what you have!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.