Grado PS1000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Thier, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Thier

Big Thier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not now, but I will probably buy these headphones sometime this year. I would use them to listen to music, and also mix my own music. Right now I'm using Bose QuietComfort 15, and they are the best headphones I've ever owned (just to give you an idea lol!). Are these considered some of the best? I want the best accuracy possible. The finest details. And just overall good sound. That would be a huge upgrade I bet. I've actually never tried high-end headphones. I'm also thinking of buying them used on eBay, would that be worth it or are they prone to damage over time... Thanks.

2. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I own a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones and only use them as intended - on the plane. I don't own the PS1000 but no doubt you will be thrilled with it. Even the SR60i will be an improvement over the Bose. If I had to start over I would go for the best I can afford. The Grado is worth it.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The PS1000 has a built in smiley curve.
    http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2151&scale=30

A neat headphone for listening for pleasure to the right music that is compatible with such a built in EQ. But otherwise... yeooow. Way way too wonky for mixing or evaluating the quality of a mix or master. Their purpose is pleasure listening to the right music. Work best with well recorded acoustic. The PS1000 will mightly impress with soundstage and detail retrieval. Way way way better in that regard to any Bose. But other top tier headphones will do better detail retrieval without the hyped sound signature.

Headphones I'd suggest. Sennheiser HD-800, HiFiMAN HE-560, maybe Audeze LCD-X.

HD-800 is neutral but tilts upward to slightly emphasize treble. Bass is there but not strong and will sound weaker than it actually is in the recording. For the type of music you do that may not be an ideal match. Otherwise the HD-800 are highly good for what I assume you're after.

HiFiMAN HE-560 are new. I've only heard them in a meet. Neutral sound signature. Not hyped in any area. Stronger bass than HD-800 so likely better suited for the type of music you do.

Audeze LCD-X are somewhat close to neutral. Very good bass. Sound slightly forward in the midrange to my ears. Treble may be a little soft too. Otherwise generally closer to neutral than other Audeze headphones. Excellent detail retrieval, but the HD-800 may be better in that regard. Both the LCD-X and HD-800 are kinda expensive.

I'd suggest looking at the HiFiMAN HE-560 first. It has the most promise for being what you want. Price is about $900 which will be less than a used PS1000.

If you must go Grado look for a used PS1000. They're the only neutral Grado. Long out of production. Used prices now are over $2000. They're that good. But also don't have the bass extension of the Audeze or HiFiMAN headphones.

4. Redux

Redux Active Member

For music production go for HD800. For music listening go for GS1000.

The PS1000 are heavy to wear ! They are neither nautral in sound like HD800 or as good sounding as GS1000 or even RS1.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Gahhh! That's a really unfortunate typo. I meant the Grado HP1000, not the PS1000. The HP1000 was designed by Joe Grado. The rest of the Grados have been designed by John Grado. Look on eBay and other places for used prices for the HP1000 series. There's a reason they've held such high prices.

6. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

I own the Sennheiser HD-800, but I use them to listen to pre-recorded music. They are the most neutral and accurate headphones that I've ever heard. Plenty of studio professionals use them for engineering. Don't get the Grado PS-1000 or PS-1000e. They are not accurate enough for audio mixing though some people do use them for that purpose. Get the HD-800 which are a little bit less expensive.

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I think you would find the PS500 or RS1 to be as nice with a considerable savings. But the 1000s are some serious phones that's for sure.

I would try the PS500 and RS1's and see what you think they are very nice.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  8. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

Listen to Ham Sandwich, he is correct. The PS1000 is a fun can, but way too wonky for mixing.

9. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

I have the rs1i, the gs1000i, and the ps1000. I love all 3 for different reasons. The ps1000 are clearly the best. Biggest soundstage, detail warmth. On jazz and acoustic music they are superb. My friend has the hd800 and we both prefer the ps1000. He also just got the stax sr-009 which is a whole different story. Ive never heard a headphone in my life that can touch the sr-009. The gs1000 has about 90 percent of what the ps1000 have for about 700 dollars less. The gs1000 are lighter and more comfortable to. The ps1000 are very heavy. But after a while I got used to them and I dont have a problem with them at all. I find them very comfortable. I know there are a lot of grado haters out there with the graphs and charts and whatever. Outside of the top of the line stax 7 and 9s I find the rs1s gs1000s and ps1000s to be the best headphones ive heard. IMHO of course.

Blumagnet likes this.
  10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Personally , I like Grado's but they are far from neutral sounding. They work better with rock and pop than they do with Jazz and Classical. I find the PS1000 and RS1000 to be uncomfortable and the PS500 and RS1's to be more comfortable.
    I'm not a fan of the HD800's to me they seem a bit bright and lack bass. Nothing is more personal than headphones and at that price I'd suggest that you demo several and try them for 30 to 60 minutes each if possible.

11. Big Thier

Used Grado PS1000's don't have the smiley EQ curve? I'm confused.

Nevermind got it.

12. Big Thier

13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Check some of the reviews and threads over at Headfi. There are so many things to consider and you will find tons of info. I offered my best advice based on user reviews and supporting hardware. In the end I hope you find phones you will love.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.