Grado Statement vs Reference Cart

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by NealW, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NealW

NealW New Member Thread Starter

I'm about to make a major upgrade in my system by purchasing a Goldmund studio with T3 linear tracking arm. the seller who is also a grado dealer has offered a very good deal with either the statement (low 0.5mV)or reference (high 5mV) cart. Now I have a an Audio Research SP-6B which has a wonderful phono stage but at present I only use the 50db gain setting as I have a MM cart (grado gold) on my present system. The SP-6B has however a 60db setting which I believe would be enough to drive the 0.5mV statement cart. However I am worried about potential noise problems which was mentioned by someone else who has an SP6-A and used the statement master.
    I mainly listen to 60/70's rock and sometimes want listen at fairly high volume so i wouldn't want that compromised too much (i once tried a MC cart on my previous EAR in MC mode and couldn't really have that rock in your face experience). But just in case you think i'm a tone deaf head banger I am also looking for something that seperates the instruments, tightens the sound etc for serious listening.

this is really the last step in a major upgrade and coming from a non- audiophile place will not be able to audition the two next to each other.

the rest of my system: krell KSA 80 power amp and apogee centaur minor speakers

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I do not know if this will help you but I have a Benz-Micro M2 which has 0.8mv output and I go into a cj P15 phono stage that has 53db of gain. I like rock too and with the above combination I always hear surface noise if I play it too loud rather than phono amp noise. Something to think about though (and I think about a whole lot more now that I am over 50 and my father had to have a hearing aid in his early 70's) is how loud is too loud.

3. NealW

do you think that surface noise becomes an irritant and stops you listening to the music? i only mentioned the volume factor not because i want to pump it all the time but just when i once used a MC cart with the EAR i was very disapointed with the loss of the ability to hear some Zep at its appropriate level.

i'm not planning on ruining my ears if i can help it

4. michael w

michael w New Member

Hi Neal,

I used to use a Koetsu Red (0.5mV output) straight into the phono input of an old ARC SP8 Mk II with no noise problems at all.

As you are already buying the Goldmund off this dealer, ask if you can try both cartridges in your system.

cheerio

5. NealW

problem is that we are in S africa so he literally orders his carts from grado, no stock. so sadly won't be able to do that comparison

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

NealW, I only find surface noise as an irritant on some LP's if I play them too loud. I remember the levels that I use to listen to Zep at 15 to 20 years ago that I thought were appropriate then. They were definitely too loud. Take it easy on that Zep stuff, it will kill your ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.