Graham Nash on Magical Mystery Tour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheNomadicSoul, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member Thread Starter

I recently came across the credits for MMT on AMG:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:2q4tk6hx9krf~T2

What part of the album does Graham sing backup on? Also, wasn't there a problem between The Beatles & Graham? Specifically, George Harrison publicly criticized The Hollies' cover of "If I Needed Someone". I can't remember what he supposedly said or even if it was true that he said it. If he did, why would Graham sing backup on a Beatles record? I must be missing something.

2. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Probably "All You Need Is Love" for the "Our World" broadcast.

3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Uh... they listed EVERYONE attending the Our World TV broadcast of "All You Need Is Love". Why would AMG do that? Its misleading.

4. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

If Mr. Nash sang at the "Our World" broadcast the answer would be NO PART of that album, since the everything was pre-recorded except for the lead vocal, which Lennon re-recorded for the single. The real audio for the broadcast has never been legally available on album.

Derek

5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Why would they do it? The same reason they say Rick Danko plays violin on "Blonde On Blonde". They don't know what they're talking about!

6. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Harrison said that The Hollies version sounded soulless--like a group of studio muscians. By 1967, I doubt that would have bothered Nash or even the rest of The Hollies that much. The whole 'row', even it was even that, was caused IIRC because Harrison had said the song was written with The Hollies in mind, obligating The Hollies, at least in their minds, to recording it without really knowing how it should sound. One of the Hollies said that they weren't really impressed with the tune and ended up focusing more on the drums and instrumental sound of the song than the voices and melody. Then Rubber Soul came out with the song in pristine form as Harrison intended it, making The Hollies look pretty bad by comparison.

Here's Bobby Elliott's recollection from the liner notes to All The Hits & More:

"Our fourth hit of 1965 was written by George Harrison. There were better songs around at the time, but when we were informed that has written this one "especially for the Hollies" we were quite flattered. It was duly recorded and released -- only to find out that the Beatles were bringing out the same song on their LP! If that wasn't enough, George went on to "bad mouth" the Hollies version in the music press saying things like "they sound like session musicians"-- I'd always wanted to be a session drummer -- ah well!"

Dale

7. DinsdaleP

DinsdaleP Senior Member

Here's what George had to say in the NME, 12/10/65:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What about your songwriting?" I asked. "I see you've written one for the Hollies. Any plans to step up your song writing plans in the future?"

He turned sharply away from the mirror. "Tell people I didn't write it for The Hollies," he said bluntly. "It's called 'If I Needed Someone' and they've done it as their new single; but their version is not my kind of music.

"I think it's rubbish the way they've done it! They've spoilt it. The Hollies are all right musically, but the way they do their records they sound like session men who've just got together in a studio without ever seeing each other before. Technically good, yes. But that's all."

A comment to shock Hollies fans, certainly - but George believes in honesty whether it shocks or not.

One week later, there was this:

HOLLIES' GRAHAM NASH BLASTS BACK AT GEORGE

"Not only do these comments disappoint and hurt us... but we are sick and tired of everything the Beatles say or do being taken as law. The thing that hurt us the most was George Harrison's knock at us as musicians. And I would like to ask this: if we have made such a disgusting mess of his brainchild song, will he give all the royalties from our record to charity?

"I'll tell you this much: we did this song against a lot of people's advice. We just felt that after nine records we could afford to do something like this without being accused of jumping on the Beatles' bandwagon. We thought it a good song. And still do.

"So the Beatles are the biggest group in the world, and George Harrison and the rest of them are entitled to their opinions, but when things like this are said they really must believe their own publicity.

"One thing: I'm bloody sure I don't want 'If I Needed Someone' released in America as our next disc. 'Look Through Any Window' is our biggest seller over there at the moment, and we're naturally looking for a follow-up. Normally, this would be it. But not now. It's a matter of principle.

"About that crack about us sounding like session men - I suppose he means we don't have any 'soul' in our discs. Rubbish. We don't profess to be a soul, r-and-b type group, and we never have. My opinion of the Beatles as a group hasn't changed. I still think they're great, and I'm not going to say anything stupid like: 'I'll burn all their records in my collection,' or 'I'll never buy a Beatles record again.'

"No. I like their music. But knocking comments like the one about us are a load of ____."

The following week, there were letters from readers:

So George Harrison thinks that the Hollies version of "If I Needed Someone" is rubbish. Comparing the two versions I find that the drumming of Bobby Elliott is far better than that of Mr. Starr and the Hollies vocal harmony is superior to the Beatles. - MICK FOXCROFT, Carnforth, Lancs.

How dare George Harrison run down the Hollies. The Hollies are a fantastic group with a great sound and they have made a great job of their new single. - LINDA MARKS, Salford.

Although a Hollies fan, I must agree with George Harrison's comments on their new disc. The Beatles put this song over with great sensitivity and meaning but the Hollies version sounds as if it were recorded in Steptoe's backyard. The fact that they chose to record this at all is rather surprising as it is not their type of material. - ELAINE PETERS, Redhill, Surrey.

- John

8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Great info! Did you find that online, or do you actually have the magazines?

Dale

9. DinsdaleP

DinsdaleP Senior Member

I have a bound collection of all Beatle-related NME articles (and ads) from 1962-1970, but not the original publications themselves.

- John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.