Gram Parsons 2010 Sierra Records Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ceddy10165, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

http://sierra-records.com

In February 2010, SIERRA RECORDS will be releasing a major project, that literally has been in the works for decades, the compact disc release of SIERRA’s 1979 “Gram Parsons-The Early Years”. But this will be no ordinary issue of that legendary, vinyl LP record album. This collectors edition with be a full BOX SET. Packaged in a 12”x12” full color box, this Collectors Edition will be limited to only 2000 sets produced. These discs will be NOT be sold separately.

With the three digital discs inserted in their own individual trays inside the presentation box, disc one is the first ever released on compact disc of the now classic and ground breaking, "Gram Parsons-The Early Years", 1963-65 folk recordings of Gram and the Shilos with all original tracks as released as Volume One. Added to this, will be the never released in any format, Volume Two of these early recordings focusing on Gram's solo efforts recorded by Dick Weissman including several never before heard Parsons' compositions. Closing out this expanded disc will be recordings by "Gram Parsons & The Like", his experimental band from his few months in late 1965 at Harvard University including one with the late, Brandon de Wilde!

Disc two, is SIERRA RECORDS' 2003 release, "Big Mouth Blues: A Conversation with Gram Parsons". This full color digipak packaged release was missed by many Gram fans and now included in this special Box Set.

Rounding out the digital discs, disc three is the first official DVD release from the original video tape of the rare and only performance of "Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels" previously released on a 1999 limited edition Sierra VHS tape, "Together Again For The Last Time". Though the quality was never very good, the tape has been enhanced as best as possible utilizing today's new video technology PLUS non-performance bonus footage from that live show has been added which has never been seen before which includes longer introductions by Gram on stage.

But there is more, included in the box set are three folded posters: "Gram Parsons at the Chateau Marmont 1969" (24" x 36" poster) and two versions of the Pete Frame's Gram Parsons Rock Family Tree "The Grievous Angel" & "Gram and Emmylou" (18"x 24" posters).

And to make this Box Set even more valuable, rare and limited, the first 500 of the 2000 produced box set copies sold will also contained these additions:

The long lost, recently discovered Vinyl LP "PICTURE DISC" of "Gram Parsons-The Early Years" - color picture of Gram on Side 1, the original full color, "Sierra-Briar Records" logo on Side Two. Original produced in April 1979, only the test disc existed until now! The disc is playable on any phonograph turntable (pressed on clear virgin vinyl) or you it can have it made into a wall clock. It is packaged in itself own clear plastic sleeve/jacket.

The 24 page "Early Years" color Booklet that accompanied the original 1979 vinyl LP release.

Finally, with all of the above, the first 100 of the 2000 box set copies sold will include the original 1979 "Early Years" poster (18" x 24" folded).

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Looks like a nice set. I like Gram Parsons but don't care for country music. I read a great book about him, "Twenty Thousand Roads".

3. ceddy10165

Looks like a beauty, indeed. Considering the price, it feels like a good buy and loaded with goodies.

Gram's lucky in that, most of the books written about him have been worthwhile.

4. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

5. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

That's it. Enter "1973" on the coupon/code line when checking out and it should give you a $5 discount. At least the code was working over the weekend.

6. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation but I just couldn't wait and ordered it before your reply so no discount for me. :shake:

Here's hoping that I'm one of the first 100 orders to get both extra goodies. :goodie:

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wow, finally. It was about thirteen years ago that Sierra announced the release of The Shilos- The Early Years volume 1 and 2 CD, which was to be more than 50% unreleased material. I remember a big article in ICE. But the release date came and went and it never appeared. A few years later there was a mention on the Sierra website about how they'd licensed out the rights to the Shilos album and Gram Parsons Live 1973 to Rhino to raise cash to keep the company afloat. Rhino reissued Live 1973 but never did anything with the Shilos album. I guess after all this time the rights have finally reverted to Sierra.

8. ceddy10165

I'm sure if you email them, that they'd honor the discount.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Sure is hard to tell you're ordering the right item, isn't it? Talk about a no-frills website!

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Welcome news, certainly. Not nuts about how they've fluffed it into a 3CD (or 4, it seems unclear) box, but it should be a beautiful set.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's two CDs and one DVD (plus one LP to the first 500 callers, so act now). The reason it seems confusing is that they refer to The Early Years Volumes 1 and 2, both of which are contained on the first CD. Volume 1 is the previously released stuff, volume 2 is the unreleased stuff. I wouldn't begrudge them padding this out to a boxed set, knowing how small an operation Sierra is. I would guess they don't do much more than break even, and Delgatto does this as a labor of love.

12. timmikid

timmikid Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! Ordered it. I do want that poster as well! Tim

13. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I put my order in too. This looks like a great release! :righton:
    Thanks for the heads up.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Bumping the thread to ask if anyone has heard any updates on this set? The Sierra website is rather vague on the subject, with their description of the set still only consisting of:

"FEBRUARY 2010 4 DISC BOX SET
    Item Number: BOX SET
    Price: $52.98
    Qty:
    Description:
    FEBRUARY 2010 GP4 DISC BOX SET
    Counts as 6 items for shipping & handling costs:
    USA orders: $7.00
    OUTSIDE USA: $20.00"

Which doesn't even seem to mention Gram Parsons or The Shilohs anywhere that I can find (aside from the GP initials). Hard to believe they're ramping up for this to be released this month!

15. ceddy10165

i inquired with the company recently and was only given "February" as an update.

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Latest update from the Sierra website: looks like the set is delayed, but with an additional disc added. Wonder what's on it?

GP 2010 5 DISC BOX SET
    Item Number: GP BOX SET
    Price: $52.98
    Qty:

Description:

GP 5 DISC BOX SET

To be released in March, early April. At which time the price will increase to $69.98.

Counts as 6 items for shipping & handling costs:

USA orders: $7.00

OUTSIDE USA: $20.00

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Ordered mine:cheers:

18. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

It's nice that there is another disc now but I still wish they would tell us a little more about what was on the discs.

Maybe they'd sell a few more pre-orders that way instead of keeping us in the dark.

BTW I did order a copy within minutes of this topic first appearing what seems like years ago.

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It occurs to me there is a (longshot) possibility for the additional disc. Back when Sundazed released their set of Gram Parsons demos, Bob Irwin mentioned in ICE that there was enough material for an additional release. Could Sierra have licensed the leftovers from Jim Carleton?

Alternately, Volumes 1 & 2 of THE EARLY YEARS were originally intended to be combined togther on the first disc. Could they have decided to give Volume 2 it's own disc, either to prevent possible confusion in the marketplace or because they've expanded it with further vault material?

20. ceddy10165

The recent Sierra mailing said that the added disc is unreleased live "Early Years." Due to lack of interest/pre-orders the run is now 500 instead of 2000.

From what I can tell what is included breaks down like this:

1. First CD release of Expanded Early Years 1963-65. Includes Vol 1, the never released Vol 2, as well as 1965 bonus cut from GP & The Like.

2. Big Mouth Blues interview CD (previously released on CD)

3. unreleased live "Early Years" cd

4. DVD of GP & The Fallen Angels (previously on VHS)

5. Vinyl Early Years picture disc (previously on lp)

6. 3 posters and 24 page book in 12"x12" box set

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Good info. I didn't get this mailing from Sierra (I ordered the Parsons set several months ago)-- is there a mailing list customers can sign up for?

22. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

This looks cool - anybody have a coupon code that is current?

Thanks

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, what did they expect? The set looks very cool, but it is an expensive way to obtain the single disc of material (at least before the live disc was added) that the box has been built around.

What's more, you really have to know what you're looking for on the Sierra website to even find this item. I can't even find the press release about it (which can be read on the first post in this thread) anywhere on the site-- am I missing something? I can't imagine their description of the set as GP 2010 5 DISC BOX SET sets too many pulses racing, but as far as I can tell, that's everything there is to know about that set that you can find on the website.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here's the latest on the set, from an email I received. no mention of the bonus CD of GP and The Shilos that was in their newsletter:

This email updates the progress on the "Gram Parsons-The Early Years" Box Set" that you ordered that will be coming your way soon. More than 15 separate elements make up the Box Set so it is taking more time to having all elements together at the same time.
    Be assured it will be out to you as soon as possible. So there are just a few weeks, days remaining until the release of SIERRA RECORDS' most ambitious release ever. Included in this email below are some further details on each disc that will be enclosed. So far 111 copies have been pre-order with advance payment. The goal is to get to at least 200, maybe even 300 pre-sold. So another mass email to over 4000+ on the mailing list is going to everyone who has yet to pre-order. Please tell you friends about this important release.

This exclusive, collectors edition SIERRA RECORDS release, is packaged in a 12" x 12", high gloss, full color, presentation set up box, with a full color (not tinted) cover portrait of Gram which is probably the finest photographic ever taken of him, span his entire professional, musical life from 1963 through 1973. The set is limited to only 1000 sets produced. The individual discs contained in the Box Set will be NOT be sold separately.

Here is more details on the three digital discs included:

Disc One is the now classic and ground breaking, "Gram Parsons-The Early Years Volume 1", 1963-65 folk recordings of Gram and the Shilos originally released in 1979 on Sierra/Briar Records. Available for the first time on compact disc, it includes all original tracks including a new version of Gram's "Zah's Blues" accompanied by a jazz combo! Added to these recordings is the never before released in any format, "Volume Two" of more early performances focusing on Gram's solo efforts recorded by Dick Weissman (of the fame folk group, The Journeymen along with John Phillips and Scott McKenzie) including several never before heard Parsons' compositions. Closing out this expanded disc will be recordings by "Gram Parsons & The Like", his experimental band from his few months in late 1965 at Harvard University including a rare performance with the legendary actor and Gram best friend, Brandon deWilde. SONGS: I MAY BE RIGHT*BIG COUNTRY*ZAH'S BLUES (with Jazz Combo)*Mary Don't You Weep*BELLS OF RHYMNEY*GOIN' AWAY, DON'T YOU WANT TO GO*THEY STILL GO DOWN*ON MY JOURNEY HOME*OH, DIDN'T THEY CRUCIFY MY LORD*SURFINANNY*(UNRELEASED SOLO): THE GREAT SILKIE*RACE WITH THE WIND*THE RAINS COME DOWN*HAND WITHIN THE GLOVE*ROLLING STONE*DARKEST YEARS*THAT KIND OF LIVIN'*A RIVER IS MADE OUT OF RAINDROPS*(Gram Parsons & the Like): I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE*REMEMBER*(Brandon deWilde with Gram Parsons & the Like): TOGETHER AGAIN

Disc Two, is SIERRA RECORDS' 2003 release, "Big Mouth Blues: A Conversation with Gram Parsons". This full color digipak packaged release was missed by many Gram fans and now included in this Box Set.

Disc Three is the first official DVD release from the original video tape of the rare and only performance of "Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels" previously released on a 1999 limited edition Sierra VHS tape, "Together Again For The Last Time". Though the quality was always questionable, the tape has been enhanced as best as possible utilizing today's new video technology PLUS non-performance bonus footage from that live show has been added which has never been seen before which includes longer introductions by Gram on stage. Closing out the DVD and just added, a very rare video performance (no 'talking heads') by Gram of "Hot Burrito #1"! SONG PERFORMANCES: BIG MOUTH BLUES*NEW SOFT SHOE*STREETS OF BALTIMORE*SIX DAYS ON THE ROAD*(Bonus) HOT BURRITO #1

Three folded posters: "Gram Parsons at the Chateau Marmont 1969" (24" x 26" poster) & two versions of the Pete Frame's Gram Parsons Rock Family Tree "The Grievous Angel" & "Gram and Emmylou" (18"x 24"posters).

The original 1979, 24 page "Early Years" color Booklet that accompanied the original vinyl LP release.

Further, to make this Box Set even more valuable, rare and limited, the first 500 of the 1000 produced box set copies sold will also include the follow:

Disc Four: The long lost, recently discovered Vinyl LP "PICTURE DISC" of "Gram Parsons-The Early Years" - color picture of Gram on Side 1, the original full color "Sierra-Briar Records" logo on Side 2. Original produced in April 1979, only the test disc existed until now! The disc is playable on any phonograph turntable (pressed on clear, audiophile virgin vinyl), packaged in itself own clear plastic sleeve. SONGS: I MAY BE RIGHT*BIG COUNTRY*ZAH'S BLUES (with Jazz Combo)*Mary Don't You Weep*BELLS OF RHYMNEY*GOIN' AWAY, DON'T YOU WANT TO GO*THEY STILL GO DOWN*ON MY JOURNEY HOME*OH, DID'T THEY CRUCIFY MY LORD*SURFINANNY

Just added:

A new 24 page booklet/pictorial with additional accompanying notes to the BOX SET, featuring photographs by noted Life Magazine photographer, Ted Polumbaum entitled: GRAM PARSONS AT HARVARD UNIVERSITY - FALL 1965. These never before seen, let alone published, black and white photographs were taken of Gram, capturing his brief stay as an incoming freshman at Harvard University, Cambridge MA in the Fall of 1965. See Gram at his desk studying, going to class, hanging out with the incoming class especially coeds from nearby Emerson College, playing his guitar, composing new songs along with group photos of "Gram Parsons and the Like" (John Nuese, Ian Dunlap, Mickey Gauvin, Tom Scott) photographed in and around Harvard Square in December 1965. The late Ted Polumbaum was commissioned by Life/Look Magazine to photograph and highlight one of the stand out, incoming freshman at Harvard University in the Fall of 1965. That incoming freshman class included Michael Roosevelt, grandson of President Franklin D. Roosevelt (and high school classmate of yours truly); the late Steven Ashley, the future business affairs and attorney for Curb Records, Rhino Records and Sierra Records from 1977 to 2008; Tommy Lee Jones, future famed actor and Academy Award winner and Al Gore, the future Vice President of the United States. Yet, Mr. Polumbaum selected Gram as his subject for this photo essay for a proposed Life/Look Magazine story. The irony is that the within days of these photographs being taken, Gram would leave Harvard with "the Like", headed for New York City, to move in with new found friend, Brandon deWilde! As for Life Magazine, they decided not to run the pictorial after all which also was to include 4 other incoming freshman from four other Universities from around the country. These photos are simply incredible to see, Gram never looked better, young and ready to conquer the world in 1965!

Additional copies can be ordered at the Pre-release, advance orders with payment price of $52.98 plus shipping and handling at the Sierra web site at:

sierrarecords.net

It is listed under the menu heading "ADVANCE 2010 RELEASES"

Thank you again for your advance order and your patience in waiting as long as you have but please be assured your wait will be worth the effort! Once the Box Sets are in the mail, notice will be sent out to you so that you can be ready to receive this major project, decades in the making!

25. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Any update on this? Will this ever come out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.