Gram Parsons and "Cosmic American Music"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Came across this article this morning...

What Is Cosmic American Music? (And a List of Examples)

I really like most of these artists and the music style associated with it, but I'm not sure it's actually a genre. Been seeing a lot of stuff lately about something called "Yacht Rock", and wondering if people just make these things up.

Is it an actual genre, and if so, who would you include as part of it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I thought Parsons came up with the term. The list in the article is what comes to mind. I'd also add much of Gene Clark's output.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Raunchnroll and Actuarybrad like this.
  4. Dr. Zoom

ohhkayy, moving right along...

foam55 likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I always just thought "cosmic American music" was Parson's description of his own personal blend of soul, country and rock. It's basically a post-hippie stoner version of Elvis' musical mix. Like when you think of Elvis in his comeback period playing everything from "Johnny B. Goode" to "From a Jack to a King" to "Any Day Now" to "Precious Lord" to originals the blended all those influences together, played with a rocking band with Ron Tutt and James Burton and Glen Hardin, but now imagine it played by people 10 or 15 years younger who were like 18 when the Beatles hit and took different drugs from Elvis.

keyXVII, Bryan Harris, Oliver and 6 others like this.
  6. Dr. Zoom

That's helpful, thanks. My limited understanding is that this music was partly a push back against all of the long, psychedelic jamming of the sixties. In that context I wondered whether The Band would maybe fit this genre, but probably not.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It was pretty contemporaneous with the long jamming (which continued as a trend well after this) so not really a reaction to that. For example The Byrds got into the long jams only after Parsons left. Maybe more a reaction to the baroque pop with overdubs of non rock instruments ala Pepper, Ruby Tuesday, Notorious Byrd Bros, etc.

8. Dr. Zoom

Got it, thx

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You'll notice that a lot of the TCB players show up on the Parsons solo albums and the Emmylou Harris albums -- Hardin, Tutt, Burton... The big difference is the "cosmic" part, not so much the "American music" part. I never really heard the phrase in conjunction with anything but Parsons (I always assumed Parsons just coined it to describe his own music), but as Parsons has become more and more of a kind of celebrated figure, and Americana has become more an more of a distinct subgenre, it seems like artist and critics have adopted the phrase and put it to their own uses.

10. Dr. Zoom

Yup. Interesting. That was one heck of a band. Backed Roy Orbison on the Black & White thing, right?

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In the late '60s and earliest '70s, Elvis and the TCB band were the best rock act on the road, before Elvis let it all go. Forget the Stones tours in that stretch, Elvis and the TCB band were killing it and they had that grand catholic vision of blending all this different kind of American music (Ray Charles kinda had the same vision too). But theirs was kind of the opposite of the hippie "cosmic" counterculture sensibility.

12. Dr. Zoom

Yes. In fact I just recently saw a studio clip of Elvis and TCB Band doing Little Sister and Get Back. Ripping good stuff.

John Porcellino likes this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, I didn't realize that, original TCB band, yeah.

14. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

I’d throw one of Delaney & Bonnie’s albums into the conversation.....

Will Harris, mlew and baptistbusman like this.
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I always thought "Cosmic American Music" was a misnomer. Cosmic makes me think of space-rock, psychedelia, etc.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. "Cosmic American Music" was simply Parsons' term for blending modern rock, country, and soul. It's nothing more complex than that, and trying to make it more complex or create criteria which include or exclude certain songs is silly. It's telling that 6 of his "top 15" Cosmic American Music" albums are the six albums Parsons released in his lifetime... the implication is that everything Parsons touched is CAM. Which is silly too. Safe at Home is pretty much a direct copy of the Buck Owens formula, with nothing new added. If that album is Cosmic American Music, so is everything Buck released in the 60s.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, to be technical, the original TCB band circa 1969 had Larry Muhoberac on keys/piano. Glen D. Hardin joined for the February 1970 Las Vegas engagement.

Dr. Zoom and chervokas like this.
  18. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

My own very personal take on the matter is if it has Sneaky Pete Kleinow's wacked out steel harmonics, it's probably "Cosmic American Music." :)

alamo54us, starduster and Dr. Zoom like this.
  19. Dr. Zoom

Ok, not a genre. Carry on..

20. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Parsons to my ears was a case of execution not living up to ambition.

YardByrd and Rhett like this.
  21. 905

905 Senior Member

This is the perfect definition of Cosmic American Music, folks.
    I'm not even going to fuss with that article in the original post now.

KeninDC likes this.
  22. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I always felt that a lot of Mike Nesmith's solo work fit the description, particularly Tantamount to Treason. As for newer artists, Sturgill Simpson's last two albums are in the same vein.

klaatuhf, snepts, guppy270 and 2 others like this.
  23. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Outside of Gram, when I think of "Cosmic American Music," I think of Elvis' output from '69 on (though even some of his earlier music fits), and to maybe a lesser extent, Charlie Rich.

24. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I thought about Simpson a few minutes ago, when I was trying to form a response to this thread. If Cosmic American Music is an actual genre, he would be a current proponent of it.

While the article is a little too contorted to take seriously, I'll walk away with the notion that Cosmic American Music is another subset of country rock, one that existed primarily in the early '70's. Not really an actual full genre all by itself, but something in the 'hippie/country' crossover zone.

The list provided didn't really help. I understand 15 was the numerical limit, but some of those decisions were kinda arbitrary. Listing 'American Beauty' but not 'Workingman's Dead' is slightly bizarre. Leaving off anything by Commander Cody might be a real omission. Gene Parsons 'Kindling' would fit the bill too. Ah well, everyone can make this up however they choose....

25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

If I may be so bold, here's my nomination for the quintessential "Cosmic American Music" piece:

Ethereal arrangement...dreamy subject matter...you can feel the universe breathing between every note. I rolled through Death Valley for a couple days listening to this and music like this and it was a very real and rewarding experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.