Gran Torino- Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zappa, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

That's a tough one. How about Clint as an actor to start with? Maybe we (you!) could do a Clint director poll at some point later on as well. I'm really curious to see where everyone stands on his career.

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

watched it yesterday and that was exactly my response-"Dirty Harry retired"

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

First seen the movie on pay-per-view and bought the DVD awhile after that... I think it's an all around good movie...

4. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Characterising this film as a Dirty Harry in retirement is wrong. This film was much more than that. This was a film about never being too old to learn, admitting to yourself that you may have lived your life incorrectly, and making amends for past wrongs. The final climax plays out very differently than a Dirty Harry film would have too.

This is a deeper film than it may appear.

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

You are correct however, Harry was quite a blue collar kind of guy, saw things mostly in black and white, hates bullies, when push comes to shove will help anyone if they truly need help and as his colleagues semi jokingly said.."Harry just hates everyone!" when it came to his ethnic prejudices.

The character profiles are quite similar in some respects. I would say though that Harry as he lived in San Francisco during the 60's to late 80's at least would maybe have a slightly wider outlook on life.

dbz likes this.
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Rough around the edges, but it could've the perfect way to cap off Eastwood's acting career, given what it's about and how that reflects back on the rest of his career. He came back for that Justin Timberlake movie, but otherwise he pretty much thought of this as his "last" starring role, and the material shows it.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I found it a perfect swansong...but, he ain't over yet...I've had much enjoyment from Clint's movies throughout the years in front and behind the camera...he's a great one...indeed.

alexpop and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. Michael

no one else could have played that part! all around great movie!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I thought Gran Torino was a masterpiece. Five years later and I still find myself quoting lines from it from time to time. Hopefully it'll come on cable again soon so I can revisit it.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty poor. It's one of those DVDs that you see multiple copies of in every charity (thrift) shop which usually says something.

lbangs likes this.
  11. junk

junk Hellion

I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Myke likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mechanical Man likes this.
  13. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Thanks Myke, just ordered the Blu-Ray.

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You're welcome ! Grrrrrr.....

[​IMG]

Mechanical Man likes this.
  15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Haven't read this whole thread so apologies if this was mentioned: the script originally was supposed to be Dirty Harry retired, wasn't it? They changed it when they added the racial element and decides to make it a new character. At least I remember reading that somewhere.
    Still love this movie. The baseball one was ok, but I wish this was his acting swan song (unless he has something better up his sleeve if he decides to stop directing only).

16. Michael

yes, it does! that a lot of people watched it...today many ppl do not keep their movies after they viewed them...think outside of the forum box.

17. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

I was very late to the game with this movie as I saw it just a few months ago. I want to buy it and watch it again as I think among other things it was Clint's gift to the culture by taking shots at political correctness.
    Regarding the Christ like sacrifice, those do inclined should seek out Bishop Baron's YouTube video on this movie.
    One thing I was left wondering is did Walt make a good confession? If so, a lot if what Walt hinted at regarding Korea was just fabricated for his tough guy image. If not, why would he bother with confession?

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Like the Clint, the films aged well.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.