Grand Funk - "All The Girls In The World Beware" Audio Fidelity SACD Coming Feb 2017!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

That's one way of putting it.

oneslip17 likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

<<<< They are a real hard act to try to improve upon. :agree:

3. The 2002 remasters aren't very good IMHO and, while they had a hi Rez download option, folks that don't buy those are usually folks that like physical'product. Different audience so to speak so I think it has more to do,with what was available at the time and the fact that it has been out of print plus it had a hit single so I agree with the latter but I don't know about the former points.

Im sure this doesn't apply to everyone. AF has released other stuff that has had a high def and remastered release and that hasnt stopped them before.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Bring on Survival, E Pluribus Funk, Live Album, Closer To Home, etc! :thumbsup:

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I miss the Red album... which is better than Survival or E Pluribus Funk IMO

Terry likes this.
  6. Myke

:winkgrin:

Spadeygrove likes this.
  7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The only HD Tracks GF listed in the DR Database is Closer To Home in 2013, and it has a lousy <DR# 8>, nearly identical DR# as the 2002 remaster <DR# 7>. That really blows for a HD tracks download, imho. :thumbsdow

Album list - Dynamic Range Database »

I read somewhere, I'm pretty sure it was "ICE" magazine back when Capitol was preparing the GF catalog for the cd reissues of 2002, that they digitized the masters and those would be used from now on for any future releases. Since then, at least looking at what's on the DR Database, the Audio Fidelity "WAAB" gold disc has a really good DR #, an overall 12 compared to the 2002 remaster's 7.

What this says to me is HD tracks is getting those digital masters made by Capitol :thumbsdow and somehow AF got the real McCoy :edthumbs:. That looks good for these two upcoming sacd's, I'd say. :agree:

Of course, this all conjecture on my part, just musing out loud. :shrug:

Steel Horse and wayneklein like this.
  8. Yep it's crap but I wasn't going to say that.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, the hi-rez versions usually came out after the AF release.

10. Really? I hadn't noticed that. Are,you sure? Regardless, I will go,for SACD, Blu-Ray and then--hi Rez download. Not my first choice but I understand there are those who don't have the space for them.

Different audience IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  11. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Another question regarding the Grand Funk Railroad titles: does Terry Knight's estate have any claim to the earlier albums. If so, could that be a sticking point for A.F. or any other audiophile label licensing them?

oneslip17 likes this.
  12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I just got billed for ATGITWB.
    Based on the price ($31.44) looks like it's coming on its own, which is kind of a drag because that's $8 shipping for only one disc

13. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I agree. Seems kinda high just for this release.

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I found this quote from Terry Knight. Someone might correct if not true.......... I believe it was from February 2000. I don't know if anything has changed since then?

"It's been 28 years since this divorce," Knight said. "If I have any message for Grand Funk, it would be, 'Get over it!' They haven't talked about anything new in their careers in 28 years. They keep rambling on about the bad, old Terry Knight days."

"Well, the bad, old Terry Knight days records, are the only [Grand Funk] records selling. I get 50 per cent of what they get." Knight said. "They hate that. The 1974 federal Settlement Agreement gave me more than they were giving me before! "

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Agree about Survival, not sure I agree about E Pluribus. But I can certainly understand your point of view.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Got my invoice today.
    Disc: $22.49
    Shipping: $8.95

I am unhappy enough that I sent an e-mail saying when the shipping charge is 40% of the disc itself thats too much.
    They need to hold back the discs until the next release is ready or offer a cheaper shipping option.

17. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Waiting on mine got it off amazon have to wait until March to get it.

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Who did you order from?

Edit - I just noticed you live in Canada so I guess that's one reason postage is higher than usual, but $8 for one cd?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:laughup:

jsayers likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

GFR fan here, they have 5-6 good albums, this is not one of those.
    Positive take-a-way is that the cover art will be 2 x 2" ....unless one opens the package....then....
    [​IMG]
    Then we have.....
    [​IMG]

But then we can always ignore that and concentrate on the content....
    Side one
    1. "Responsibility" – 3:50
    2. "Runnin'" (Don Brewer, Craig Frost) – 4:19
    3. "Life" – 4:58
    4. "Look at Granny Run Run" (Jerry Ragovoy, Mort Shuman) – 2:29
    5. "Memories" – 3:31
    Side two
    1. "All the Girls in the World Beware" (Farner, Frost) – 3:29
    2. "Wild" – 2:53
    3. "Good & Evil" (Brewer, Frost) – 7:32
    4. "Bad Time" – 2:54
    5. "Some Kind of Wonderful" (John Ellison) – 3:22
    Or not......

21. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I live in Chicago. That was the same for me. Almost $9 shipping.

22. Myke

Why miss it ? There are PastMasters out there.

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm a subscriber so they come directly from Audio Fidelity.
    Though I live in Canada I have the discs shipped to my neice in Kirkland WA
    And that's to save on shipping believe it or not.
    Shipping to Canada is much higher

24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

First two also, On Time, and Grand Funk too!

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  25. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Has anyone received theirs by another dealer other than Audio Fidelity? I preordered mine from DeepDiscount and they have been showing backorder since the release date. I checked Amazon and they are showing :Will ship in 1-2 months. Is AF pulling a MOFI and selling exclusively for a few weeks? I just got an email from Elusive Disc and they are now shipping. I know it's not popular around these here parts, but I quite like this album and have been looking forward to seeing what Kevin Gray can do with it. I have the Capitol reissue but it sounds like.........well, you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.