Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Havnt heard them for probably 35 years and had forgotten that they even existed. By chance came upon them on YouTube and am quite enjoying them.

Sad how much music can slip by without thought .

rmbaker, mooseman, longaway and 4 others like this.
  2. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

[​IMG]The citizens of Flint, MI. will never forget

3. laughalot

Nice

Folknik and Gersh like this.
  4. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I was really into this band when I was a kid. I had all the albums, up to Phoenix. That's pretty much the cut-off for me. The only two G.F. albums I have in my collection now are Survival and E Pluribus Funk. Those have always been my two favorites.

RickH and mooseman like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the critics hated them for some reason, but they sure sold a hell of a lot records.

there is something good on every one of their albums.

another band destined to never be in the hall of fame.

mooseman and RickH like this.
  6. laughalot

Never listen to the critics, often they have their own agenda.

Shak Cohen, mooseman and FLEMKE like this.
  7. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Billboard in Times Square, 1970:

[​IMG]

BryanA-HTX, RickH, Fullbug and 13 others like this.
  8. laughalot

Goning to have to get me some

9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Essential - On Time, Grand Funk (Red Album), Closer to Home, E. Pluribus Funk, We're An American Band, The Live Album (which is loud raw and will blow your face off) and I also really like their 2nd live album Caught in the Act.
    I'm a big Funk fan and I don't think you could go wrong with any of these.
    Second tier - Survival, Shinin' On, Phoenix, Born to Die and Good Singin, Good Playin. The last two a lot of people don't like. I gave them a recent spin and not as bad as I thought they were at the time.
    Sold out Shea faster than The Beatles.........

white wolf, Hamhead, gregorya and 3 others like this.
  10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Love the Live Album.

Folknik likes this.
  11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Their version of "The Loco-motion" was one of the first songs that really moved me as a kid.

Fullbug, alchemy and Gersh like this.
  12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yea another Grand Funk convert! I have all the albums except those last two on Full Moon, never sounded right to me. The Bosnia Live is a must have with a full orchestra and Peter Frampton as guest guitarist. Mark Don and Mel is perfect for the car of their first era as a three piece.

PS Don't forget to hunt down AF We're An American Band mastered by our host. :thumbsup:

Clanceman and white wolf like this.
  13. junk

junk Hellion

Its was "We're An American Band" for me.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love Live Album, too. It's so awesome. I especially love the track "Mark Says Alright!"(sic) with Mel Schacher's frantic, funky, fuzzed out bass lines going almost over the top. That would have been a real treat to see GFR in their heyday.

15. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I saw them in the rain at the Cincinnati Zoo when On Time was released. My first acid trip - they rawwked! They appeared with Vanilla Fudge and Paul Butterfield.

16. I can say the same. I was 11 in 1974 when that was all over the radio and I couldn't get enough of it. It rocked!

17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Yes!

18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Yup. I was 10. Added that 45 to my collection a few years ago. Love playing it every now and then for the music and the memories.

SilkHammer likes this.
  19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

They never left this house. Scarcely a month has gone by over the decades that I don't put on one of their albums. The original stoner rock.

20. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

i never heard them until "the live album". to this day i think that is oneof the best live albums ever done. recently went through a remaster and tune order correction from what i've heard but the new remaster seems to me to have the bass way too loud. killer still though. never bothered to ge their older stuff but did get the ones from live up to the radio heavy rock hits rekkids.

mooseman likes this.
  21. Runt

Runt Senior Member

We used to consider GF a local band back in the day (they're actually from Flint, a few miles north of here) and I had all the early stuff through E Pluribus. Sadly, never got to see them live.

mooseman likes this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I really wish GFR would bury the hatchet.

I saw the briefly reunited original trio back in 1997 and they were as great as ever. I swear.

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Preferred them over LZ.

Darryl

Fullbug and Hamhead like this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

GRAND-FUNK-LIVE!

Folknik and vinyl diehard like this.
  25. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

This is a band I listened to in their hey-day back in the 70's. Never thought I'd get to see them live. So glad it happened in 1997 and 1998. Yep, Mark, Don and Mel. Those two shows totally blew my mind. The first was in a small theater, the second an outdoor festival. Both very intense shows. Little did I know Mark would leave after the '98 tour.

I have the catalog(most originally due to the Trunk Of Funk). Have the AF American Band CD and a gold vinyl copy of that title also.

Saw the current lineup a few years ago and nowhere good as the classic one. Saw Brewer and Frost in Seger's band on his last tour. Don was subdued, quite a change from what he does with GFR!:D Saw Mark when Hippiefest went to Mobile in 2011. Still intense and quite a showman. Shame what happened to his son(trying to impress girlfriend, backflipped and broke his neck).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.