Grand Funk Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

The first four Grand Funk remasters come out today (On Time, Grand Funk, Closer to Home & Live). I picked them up last night but only have had time to play the 2nd album Grand Funk since I was tied up listening to the Stones last night. I played it in the car coming to work this morning not the best way to judge sound quality. The all are 24bit mastered with nicely done booklets and bonus tracks. As far as the sound goes it did not seem much different from my Japanese CD's however I could be wrong (my car is not the most revealing environment).

2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I receive my Grand Funk remasters (i.e., they're part of a larger order from CD Universe), but I'll compare with my Japanese remasters upon arrival and report back here if anything stands out. Interestingly, the Japanese remastered GFR titles aren't consistent, but the second album (red s/t) is an exceptional import; I've always wondered if the Japanese recording engineers were able to acquire the master tapes in each instance. BTW, I've NEVER found a decent import or domestic release of the first GFR Live album, so I'm real curious about that title; as I recall, the original LP was pretty good.

Cat

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Please let us know how they sound, especially Closer To Home.

And also please tell us that you can hear tape hiss...

Pretty please??

4. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I bought the new GF remasters today. While taking a break from the many Stones disc's, I decided to give The Red Album a listen. I havent heard it in a long time, as I dont play my vinyl much anymore.
    I'm still on my first listen, but I'm not too happy so far. I didnt hear that always welcome touch of hiss before the first song exploded out of my speakers. And explode it did. It's so loud that I cant find a comfortable listening volume. It makes the feelings in my old teeth rattle..... There is no noticeable hiss anywhere. It's also not to terribly cluttered in the middle (thankfully). My early impressions are that EQing is pretty friendly, but I'm for the most part not too happy.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have a feeling the Japanese "Past Masters" CDs will, again, trounce the 24-Bitters. And bitter it is. It should not be cluttered in the middle. The record was very wide stereo seperation. If they F with that, that's just plain dumb.

6. Dob

Dob New Member

That Japan CD is one of the best sounding CDs I have ever heard. On "Inside Looking Out", when Mark sings a cappella, the natural realism of his voice is right up there with Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" and Buddy Holly "FTOMT", IMO. So real it's startling!

7. Dob

Dob New Member

Interesting that you should mention that. When I was comparing the Japan CDs to the Rhino Anthology, I noticed that the stereo separation of "Inside Looking Out" was quite a bit narrower on the Rhino. I remember thinking how odd that was. Apparently different masters were used - I can't imagine why someone would deliberately F with that...

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This is the real deal. Thanks for the info. Dob. More money for Allen Klein! Ouch!

Attached Files:

• gf.jpg
      gf.jpg
      File size:
      40 KB
      Views:
  9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Pick up a Japanese copy of this if you can by all means. I had a few Japanese GFR titles that were good but very hissy. Sckott had told me how good the Red album sounds with the quote "The bass on "In Need" will left you off the furniture". The best live sounding CD monster I've ever heard.

Incredible!

Joe

10. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I've seen this red Japanese CD with a white OBI rather than black and a different catalog #. It also says "cool price" on the OBI rather than "past masters". Is it the same?

11. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I wonder if the No-Noised this? I wanted to get Closer To Home, but now I don't know! Then again, the original release is HORRIBLE!

12. Bill Pafford

I haven't listened to my copy of Closer To Home yet. I expect it to be the same way. I'm not saying the Red Album sounds terrible, I was hoping for something more in the line of what Beagle was hoping for though.

I will share my thoughts here after I give it a good listen.

13. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Thanks!:D

14. Dob

Dob New Member

FWIW, my version is the "cool price" version that you describe, and it sounds great. I haven't compared the two, but I'm guessing (hoping?) they are the same.

Some of the other Grand Funk "Cool Price" CDs have bonus tracks, which I don't believe are on the "Pastmasters" versions. The "Cool Price" versions were manufactured @1997, the "Pastmasters" @1989.

15. Bill Pafford

Well, I listened to the newly remastered version of Closer To Home today. I'm sorry to say this, but it was difficult to listen to the whole thing. It is hard to find a comfortable listening volume. There is no middle ground. It is either very loud or not loud enough. It does sound a little better in the car, but on my home stereo it makes everything in the living room vibrate at barely 1/4 volume. I have a basic Kenwood stereo in the living room with single CD and spectrum analyzer.

I had high hopes for these remasters, with tempting bonus tracks, but I doubt that I will be purchasing the next batch. I have Japan copies of The Red Album and Shinin' On . I believe I will seek out more Japan pressings to complete my collection.
    I'm anxious to hear what other members of this forum think of the new releases.

16. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Bill,

Thanks for the review. I got a copy of this myself. I agree with you for the most part on the volume. It does seem to be mastered at a somewhat loud volume. Also, maybe compression was slightly overused, I will have to listen again. I have to admit though compared to the initial release this one to me sounds MUCH MUCH better! Barring the negatives above, I found some postitives. It sounds to me like they used a MUCH lower generation tape than on the first release. This version has much better channel separation and dynamics. I also hear hiss so it was not no-noised to death.

I don't have the Japanese titles to compare to. I must also mention the first release of this on CD was terrible, one of the worst I discs I ever heard.

17. Dob

Dob New Member

IS IT EVER. For gosh sakes, Capitol could have just made a clone of the Japan CD! I guess that would have been too easy...

18. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

:D No doubt Dob! Believe me, if you don't have/can't find/don't want the Japan disc, the new remaster is SO much better than the original, flaws and all! I can't stress this enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.