Grantland on the state of the movie business in 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

http://grantland.com/features/2014-hollywood-blockbusters-franchises-box-office/

Great article.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, this list of forthcoming movies is very sad and sobering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WAY too many sequels and comic book movies (and/or action franchises). At some point, you gotta wonder, "where are the comedies? Where are the romance pictures? Where are the teen dramas? Where are the mysteries? Where are the serious adult dramas? Where are the historical pictures or biographies? Where are the musicals? Where are the movies about everyday life?

I think there's room for many different kinds of movies out there, but Hollywood seems to want to bludgeon us over the head with the same kind of bull**** predictable, cookie-cutter movies over and over and over again. I love comic book movies the way I love cheeseburgers: maybe two, three times a month at most. The rest of the time, it's nice to have a salad, or a turkey sandwich, or meatloaf, or steak, or Mexican, or chicken, or whatever. If I had to eat cheeseburgers every day, I'd die.

These same points were reflected in Lynda Obst's excellent 2013 book Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business, where she basically says "it's no longer possible to make a mid-budget film in the $10M-$70M price range, because the studios can't justify marketing them. It's got to be a really cheap indie film made below $10M, or a very-costly action/superhero/sequel in the $70M+ range." And none of her films (like Sleepless in Seattle) fit that category... so she's had to switch to television. Lots and lots of projects that formerly would have been made as mid-budget films are now going to TV instead; I'd point to Mad Men and Breaking Bad as examples of TV shows that would've worked fine as edgy, modest-budgeted films.

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

They are obviously not on the lists you posted, since these are limited to those two categories of movies requiring a franchise.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Premium cable.

guy incognito likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But not in theaters, which is the problem.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think part of the problem is that we now have a plethora of screens on which to watch content and a lot of people don't enjoy the hassle and expense of going to the theater. They tend to only jump that hurdle if the movie is perceived to be larger-that-life-to-the-max-brah! Which is why we're getting moving comics movies.

Rufus McDufus and marblesmike like this.
  7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

As far as comedies and dramas are concerned, there is also the competition by TV series in this genre, which are getting better and very successful, so that movie productions tend to focus on genres where the cinema screen still has an advantage: big budget action movies with lots of special effects

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I don't see why that's a problem, though.
    There are still comedies and indy pictures and "prestige" pictures and all of that. Can you blame people for just waiting a bit to watch them at home?

At the same time there are more story telling options with serial short form television on streaming services, cable, etc.

It's called CHANGE, people- it's not necessarily a bad thing.

9. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct. In retrospect, it is stunning how quickly this has changed. Look at the 2005 Academy Awards. Of the four films nominated for best picture, three were in the price range of 10-35 million: Sideways, Ray and Finding Neverland. Other movies from this year include Million Dollar Baby, Hotel Rwanda and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Where are movies like this today? They exist, but not in the US. It is a complete disaster.

Cousin It and Vidiot like this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Can't wait to see Female superhero spinoff of Spider-man in 2017 or Untitled 20th Century Fox Marvel project in 2018. They sound great.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

My take on it: it's going to be really easy to pick out the worthwhile movies in the near future.

Deesky and guy incognito like this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Come on - "Untitled 20th Century Fox Marvel Project" is the hottest comic book out there right now.

Captain Groovy and Spitfire like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I only go the theater if I want to see the spectacle-of-the-moment on the big screen. There is plenty of good drama and comedy, but it's coming from what used to be cable channels, along with Amazon Prime and NetFlix.

As a (former) huge comics fan, I look at that list and it looks like a chore.

Cousin It, guy incognito and Vidiot like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Same here. I like an occasional comic-book movie, but having nothing but that to choose from is just too much.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A movie comedy that might have added to filmic variety seems to have been pulled - The Interview.

16. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yep. Flavorwire just had a piece last week on this trend, and the effect it's had on some fairly well-known filmmakers:

http://flavorwire.com/492985/how-th...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Vidiot likes this.
  17. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

In the case of Breaking Bad or True Detective or older HBO shows like The Wire, it was the long-term character and plot development that made them work so well, IMO; sometimes a 2 hour film just isn't quite the thing.

18. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I think the increase in Comic/action movies is a result of the expanding international market. These movies started to pickup steam right after the release of Battleship which was not well received critically due to its simple plot and even more simple dialogs however the plot and dialog was intentionally simplified by the studio so that it could be "internationalized" easily with voice overs or subtitles. It cost $200M to make and only took in around $60M in the U.S. but the international box office receipts more than made up the difference. Now all of the studios are cashing in on this surefire formula. This same global market formula is also spreading to the Disney films as seen with Frozen. Comedies and dramas with lots of dialogue are much harder to market internationally with lower profit margins on average so they make less business sense.

guy incognito likes this.
  19. Nightswimmer

I fear that you may be right.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Their doing another Expendables because 3 did so well overseas.

21. Nightswimmer

Don't blame me, I hated the first one.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Expendables 3 only made $206M total and cost $90M + $50M to market it, so it still hasn't broken even by traditional Hollywood accounting. Expendables 2 made over $300M, so this was a big disappointment for the studio. I'd be very surprised if they make a fourth film.

I saw the first one, tolerated it, saw the second one, hated it, and won't see any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.