Grateful Dead 1978 College Campus Show Tournament

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoregnr, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although I haven't heard all of 4/24/78, from what I have heard I'd be surprised if many shows of this tournament are better, with 1/22/78 being one possible exception.

budwhite likes this.
  2. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I do recall seeing this, way back in the mid 90's. I heard this show at many huge parties that were held in the old victorian homes, many of which have been torn down to make room for multi units. Nothing like a raging kegger in one of those old places with several 100 people.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and WiseJake237 like this.
  3. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

I've got Illinois State with a big win over UCSB, despite SB being a sentimental favorite as my first show. 4/24 is an energetic and focused show. Loved the Stayin' Alive teases during Bob's cowboy songs, really a solid first set. Pre-drums was *really* good, as was NFA > Black Peter.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and WiseJake237 like this.
  4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

12/30/78 could be another, but I haven't heard the 2nd set yet, so we'll see. The first sets between that and 4/24 are pretty equal, so that second round matchup should be compelling.

I also must award the first round decision to 4/24/78. The fact that I was there for the 6/4 show cannot be taken into account IMO. It needs to be a level playing field, so on that basis 4/24 is clearly superior. Really the only weak spot for 4/24 is the dirge-like FOTD, but other than that it is a mighty thing. I still think 6/4 is a very good show, but the post-drums sequence really doesn't translate well for those who weren't there, especially Donna wailing on NFA. Que lastima, but that's the way it goes.

Next up for me will be the battle of the Virginia schools. W&M was another old favorite on tape, but I probably haven't heard it in 20 years or more, so VPI will get a fair shake. Looks like a pretty even matchup.

I could see this tournament format in other competitions-best E72 show, perhaps? Best ever Fillmore East/West show? etc. The possibilities are almost endless; another one of the beauties of the GOGD. :nauga:

WiseJake237, budwhite and bmoregnr like this.
  5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I more I read about this, the more I like the idea of rating and comparing shows from a band's tour. Though I'm no Deadhead, I still am found of a good chunk of their songs. I'd like to such a thread with other bands like Zeppelin, Doors, etc.

WiseJake237 likes this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident Thread Starter

Tournament announcement.

I am glad I am building in some score checks and balances as I can see @Claxton 's score did not get into this morning's first double check reply, and it looks like we have a few scores since then.

Moving forward please help the score keeper out and put "Final Score" in your results post, that will help me determine what the hell is going on... no need to change what was already posted. I always love the first weekend of the GDAA FFF!

7. bmoregnr

Well join the tournament and by the end you will be a fan!

WiseJake237 likes this.
  8. ducksdeluxe

OK, then FINAL SCORE: N. Illinois 90, UCSB 84 3-point shooting in the 2nd half made the difference. :cool:

9. bmoregnr

They did not have 3-point shots in 1978!

WiseJake237 and budwhite like this.
  10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Is it me...or did Freddie Mercury (aka Mickey) just show up at a Dead sound check?

Sorry couldn't resist....back to the tournament...

Quincy and US Blues like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

30 December 1978: I am listening to the pre-drums section of the second set for the 3rd time in 2 days to try and grok what went down that night. The song selection is great, but I want to separate the playing from the songs, if you will. Is it great because of the setlist, or because of the music, or both?

12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I thought the same thing

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I was listening to the Miller SDB of 4/24 at work and then from Dave's magic hat at home yesterday. Sound is superb on both but Dave's is clearly the winner. Anyway. I would asume it is from a Betty board and that it must be one of the better sounding picks if not the best? Right, wrong?

14. ducksdeluxe

OK, then! Jeez! Let's say Scarlet Begonias was deadly from the wing, and Terrapin Station was unstoppable in the paint. UCSB's Estimated Prophet and Not Fade Away tried gamely, but a lack of cohesion on defense turned the tide in the last 10 minutes. It was awesome, baybeeeee!

bmoregnr and WiseJake237 like this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Huh?

17. bmoregnr

You are a PTPer baby!

18. bmoregnr

6-4-78 was playing like a scrappy yet ever thus the mid major, but that Rhythm Devils and into NFA was a blast. I see that it's going to get out classed in the end but I'll bet it blew a few minds on the day especially if one's cherry was popped that summer day. Good Ol' Grateful Dead indeed.

Edit: what is that tease Bobby leads 5:18 into NFA? I have heard it on its own a thousand time but for the life of me cannot name it now?!?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  19. bmoregnr

This is still bugging me, I want to say a touch of Lonesome And A Long Way From Home but am not convinced, definitely some old blues number, where is that @Archtop phone?!

20. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Are you talking about Nobody's Fault But Mine?

bmoregnr likes this.
  21. bmoregnr

Yep that's it, I knew I heard it a thousand times before. Thanks.

WiseJake237 likes this.
  22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

On 6/16/74 they pulled off a It's Nobody's Fault that Your Mind Has Left Your Body jam, but I digress from the '78 theme, so I'm off out.

US Blues, WiseJake237 and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. bmoregnr

Very cool stuff; that they did such things has somehow inexplicably escaped my grasp, so consider me schooled. Thanks everyone.

24. bmoregnr

Game 1 final score. 4-24 outclasses for the win, but it looks beatable.

6-4 always seemed to be trying to fight through something, like it had a head cold.

Also it was odd to hear Keith so far to the left channel on 4/24.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Read an interesting story on the Archive about a show 1-5-79 where Jerry tried to sing "Nobody's Fault" (rare post-1974) but his mic died, and he was visibly angry about it. But again we are outside 1978...

US Blues and bmoregnr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.