Grateful Dead: Barton Hall, Cornell U. 5/8/77 & "Get Shown The Light" box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Exactly. As an example, back when Dick's Picks seemed like they would be in print forever, I waited two or three years before picking some of them up. For a while, they were doing discounted sets of the last 6 releases every once in a while. Once that pattern emerged I waited for the discount and bought all 6 together... As soon as they started doing limited editions (I think the Complete Fillmore West '69 was the first) or releases with limited edition bonus discs (although I actually missed out on a handful of very early ones), I bought those the day they went on sale... or subscribed once the subscription model started the last year of Road Trips and throughout the Dave's Picks series. Manufactured urgency drives initial sales, that's the cold snake-eyed reality, but a sustainable business model that keeps the cobra happy also means a steady stream of releases.

2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

IIRC, the Sunshine Daydream set is still avail. A show prolly even more hallowed than Cornell. Go figure.

3. cvila

cvila Senior Member

I apologize in advance if this has been asked and/or answered but is either the box of the single show being released in hi-res download?

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I don't get that at all. Or maybe I do, 1977 is the most popular year after all

Veneta '72. 12500 copies, released some five years ago and it's still available. We got a great complete show mixed from the multitracks. 90 min+ of concert footage including cool snippets of the hippie scene. And it looks quite fantastic as it was shot on film. And the iceing on the cake - the thrilling 5.1 sound mix. And it comes a in a very cool box for those who enjoy collecting.

*edit*

Scrap that. Both the BD and DVD box are limited to 12500 copies each. And I just realized that it's available on amazon also

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I queried customer service if the 11-disc All Music edition of MAY 1977 GET SHOWN THE LIGHT would still be available to purchase on release day. The reply indicates my question wasn't understood:

Hello Richard,
    Unfortunately, we cannot currently give you an exact date for when or if that product will come back in stock, however we do update our stock levels on a routine basis. Please check the webstore often to see our ever changing selection of products.

Thank You!
    Daniel
    Dead.net Store Support

I've moved the 11-disc All Music edition into my shopping cart. I'm leaving the browser window open until release day, which is the same as payday, to keep one in the cart. If the browser closes the cart empies. If this 11-disc All Music edition sells out before then I'm giving up on the Dead / Rhino. They're too cute and stingy with the hard media for no reason that makes any sense (and I've read all your good replies). I've watched the video and looked over the photos. I don't like the cover art nor the design packaging. The art is banal and the packaging is ridiculously ostentatious. I don't like paying extra for it. I wish they'd return to skull and bones. That having been said, I'm intensely obsessed with the music. The samples are everything the Dead should be. This 11-disc set is transcendent Dead, worth obsessing over.

Don't know. Since there is no indication on dead.net probably not.

6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

How'z about a 9/11-26/1973 "Horny" Dead Box Set for 2018?!? C'mon we gotta get outta the "box" for the next one! Who don't like the occ. horn blast during a sweet "Let it Grow" ???

: Ducking from rotten cabbage and tomatoes being flung in my general direction :

jay.dee likes this.
  7. budwhite

You don't have to worry. There is at least 9999 available copies at this very moment.
    (that is the biggest amount you can put in the shopping cart. as a reference, the July '78 box has about 2400 copies left)

Uncle Miles and bmoregnr like this.
  8. budwhite

I like the horns with the Jerry band mid 70s but it didn't work well with the Dead in '73.

Here's a can of feremneted/sour herring coming yer way. Yes, people eat it in northern Sweden. The smell is supposed to be dreadfull.
    I enjoy my herring pickled :agree:

[​IMG]

skybluestoday and wavethatflag like this.
  9. Richard--W

You live in Sweden, do you?

Could you please tell me if Ingmar Bergman's Beröringen (The Touch, 1971) is on DVD or blu-ray in Sweden? a link to where it can be bought? whether or not it's in English or has English subtitles? It is a Swedish film partly filmed in English.

Thanks in advance.

10. HighThyme

HighThyme Forum Resident

This is what's on the dead.net page for the now sold out MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT box: "Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day."

bmoregnr and Richard--W like this.
  11. budwhite

I searched my usual places and couldn't find anything. I'm fairly familiar with Bergman but I didn't know about that film. Nice line up with Elliott Gould and Max von Sydow!

American Criterion has actually released much more Bergman on LD/DVD/BD than we have domesticly. Try email them. I did so a few times regarding The Emigrants/The New Land - The Criterion Collection (not Bergman I know) and it was released a few years ago. But those two epics are famous and well loved over here and was more than likely to be released anyway, but it doesn't hurt to try

12. Richard--W

Oh, The Touch was released in the earliest days of Betamax and VHS and quickly went out of print. I have the VHS. It's quite rare. Needs a widescreen hi-def restoration and a commentary. I've got every Bergman film that's been released in the USA and U.K. I know the films well. But several of his films and nearly all of his teleplays have never been shown here, and there's no way of knowing what's come out in Sweden, The Nederlands, Switzerland, etc. Thanks for looking into it.

13. budwhite

anytime!

14. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

I think you'll be fine, and there will be copies of the all music edition on release day. Very worst case, you will still be able to purchase the music as a download (HD?) so you will not be shut out of the music.

15. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I came very close to ordering the Venetia LPs a few times as its one of my favorites. But I've just heard it so many times, it seemed kind of unnecessary.

Richard--W and budwhite like this.
  16. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I'm tempted to get the box set after reading a glowing 5 star review in Mojo magazine. The trouble is I've never heard any live material from 77. That period just makes me think of Terrapin Station and Shakedown Street, of which I am not a fan. I have the Closing of Winterland DVD from 78 and I don't care much for that either.
    So how does the live 77 GD compare to those? And where / how can I check any out before handing over my hard earned cash?
    Thanks.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

sparkmeister likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You can stream all '77 shows, including for free at archive.org. They probably have taken down the soundboards of the shows from the new box, as well as soundboards of previously officially released shows, but any audience recordings should still be available, and soundboards for much of the rest of the year. The site may be having some trouble right now due to the massive power outage we are having in SF right now.

[Edit: in Spring '77 the band was a lot tighter than they were by the time of the Closing of Winterland. May have been their tightest tour, having come off of some intensive practicing while recording the Terrapin album. The live material doesn't have the studio gloss of the albums you mentioned, and even stuff like the terrible disco arrangement of Dancin' in the Streets on the album morphs into a spectacular jamming vehicle live. Some regulars here on the SHF don't like Spring '77 because it is overall a tight playing rather than heavily exploratory phase of the band's career, but I like both sides of the GD and it's one of my favorite eras and tours.]

19. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Pull the trigger. This box is special. This is as good as it gets for 1977 and, for my money, these shows are the best of their entire career.

sparkmeister likes this.
  20. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Thanks - I'll checkout youtube and archive.org first.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  21. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Mad Dog, superstar19 and jay.dee like this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

They are on Spotify right. Use the link below to find a Dicks Picks, To Terrapin, maybe the Spring 77 box is on there. The Archives is great of course but I think you want to check official releases to get a better feel. This box should be a bit better than the earlier releases due to Plangent transferring the tape (they added an extra trick related to the Nagra eq on the July '78 box which should apply here) and IMO a good recent run of mastering from Norman. Grateful Dead Family Discography: Grateful Dead releases by recording year

sparkmeister, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I would love to approach this box never having heard these shows before.

I can't imagine what it would be like to hear 5.8.77. and 5.9.77 for the first time again. IMHO... it blows away Winterland DVD. I can't see how you would be disappointed. I went for the vinyl for the sake of having yet another copy of 'that show'... but if I didn't have many digital version of these shows already it would have been a no-brainer. I'm sure I'll pick up the digital files later on if they are a significant improvement to what is out there.

Do you like Scarlet-Fire?
    Do you like Help>Slip>Franklins?
    Do you like Morning Dew?
    Do you like Comes a Time?
    Do you like Row Jimmy?
    Do you like Brown-Eyed Women?

If so... and many more... your collection is incomplete without these shows.

25. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I will be doing exactly that since I'm recently on the bus and have been sticking to official releases. I've heard the other May '77 box (that Tuscaloosa show!), but these will all be new.

bonus, Dahabenzapple, Kevin55 and 4 others like this.