Grateful Dead: Barton Hall, Cornell U. 5/8/77 & "Get Shown The Light" box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Dec 27, 2015.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It's been at least a decade since I've heard Cornell. I'm going to consider it a "new" show. I've got some 76 in the queue to prepare.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Prepare for an eargasmic experience. :cool:

Phoenician likes this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well you can emulate how it was for your average suburban fan far from the inner circles of tape trading in the late ‘80s; first forget any official live GD you have heard except the released albums like Live/Dead or Skull & Roses, then spend the next month only going to the Archives and listening to audience tapes or any sbd with a couple of tape gens in them all with varying states of questionable sources, speeds and mastering (stay away from anything Charlie Miller did for Pete’s sake!) then when 5/8/77 and 5/9/77 hits your porch, blow the doors out.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Nicely put!

GuidedByJonO))) and bmoregnr like this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm starting to get excited even though I've heard Cornell and Buffalo many times. Judging by how fast they released this after acquiring the tapes I think Team Dead is probably excited too.

Radardog and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Sorry to ask you experts a dumb question but as a "Dead Newbie" what is the Sunshine Daydream set?

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Anyone know the source for Dancin' In The Streets that they included on the expanded edition of Terrapin Station?

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

One of the other Holy Grails...

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, the Allmans camp used this on Duane's box set a few years back, so I thought something reciprocal was in the works then... But nothing appeared.

ARK, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Pretty sure it's the same DAT recording from the Betty Board reels that circulated among traders, as that was long before the reels returned to the Vault. The new version freshly taken from the reels at higher bit rate and then run through Plangent Processing and mastered by Jeffrey Norman should be an improvement, although that version certainly sounded fine.

nbadge, budwhite and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They used Sugar Magnolia from that show on the box, not BIODTL, IIRC. (AAU - Acronymns Are Us).

Wright likes this.
  13. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Indeed I do, it sounds promising. As long as they're not disco versions ;)

14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I like those Disco era Big Rivers.

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Oh, that's right! "BIODTL" was supposed to go on the Ladies and Gentlemen release, but they couldn't clear it - that's what I mixed it up with.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Gotcha, and I think you are right - I'd forgotten that was the case. Anyway, as I've mentioned on either this or the Grateful Thread, I would love to see more of the Allmans/GD collaborations officially released. Especially 2/11/70 and 6/10/73, in that order of priority, but am also not holding my breath.

Wright, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I've never heard a note from any of the shows. I love Dick's 29 - especially the 5/21/77 show. Looking forward to all of it.

Phoenician likes this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Hope they do as good a job with the vinyl on this that they did with the Sunshine Daydream vinyl.

ODShowtime and sparkmeister like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yeah, about that...

20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thanks. Perhaps you're right.

I can't do downloads here, unfortunately. I've never been a downloader, in any case.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to the Charlie Miller board of 2/17/82 Warfield. A very enjoyable show so far (I'm up to Tennessee Jed at the moment).

[Oops, posted in wrong GD thread. I'll take this opportunity to say that given the Europe '72 track record and even more importantly, the fact that the music only edition was created in order to address the high demand for the limited edition and people's complaints about the limited nature of that set, it is very hard to imagine a scenario where they let the music only edition go out of print before release day. I don't think Rhino/dead.net/the powers that be are actively trying to generate bad will.]

22. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I'll probably order the FLAC on May 5th.
    I have no interest or need for the packaging.

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm kind of glad I'm getting the book and stuff, but had I known they would do the lossless download for this, I would have opted for that.

Frozensoda likes this.
  24. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Yes. I bought Fillmore West 1969 thinking it was a full concert. The cover art was tricky. Certainly it has the appearance of a full concert and from the track list on the back. I would not have bought it had I known it was a compilation. I want as many of the 1969-72 concerts as I can get. I don't need all of them, just a lot of them.

I was delighted when Criterion brought out The Emigrants (1971) and The New Land (1972). Both richly rewarding films. Nice to see them again in hi-def after they'd disappeared for a generation. My parents took me to see these when they were new. Zandy's Bride (1974), too. Not as good because it's burdened with Gene Hackman who was the wrong actor for the part, but a fine film nonetheless, released by Warner Archive. Further, this type of film is no longer made in the USA. The younger generation in Hollywood despise westerns or historical westerns. They think the genre is something to be ashamed of. But recently Europeans have made a growing number of small, low-budget westerns about emigrants to the American west necessarily filmed in other countries standing in for the American west. I can furnish the short list if you're interested.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Eh, you know, there is another forum here for all this Bergman and other European art-film talk. :rolleyes: