Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Cheers, mang. I value your opinion. I've got what most Audiophiles would also call Audiophile gear and the only retail GoGD shows that have been sound quality disappointments were DiP 23, 32 & 33. That said, i still own 32 & 33. Dave's Picks & RTs all sound good to transcendent to me.

2. libertycaps

All good, mang. You may not be there gear wise yet, but you have the correct attitude. And for that you get a pass with me. Lols. :righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I have grand audiophile aspirations but when you're a college dropout posing as a long distance truck driver, time and space become quite the issue!! :D

budwhite and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. libertycaps

Yep. Passion and striving for the best. That's what it's all about! Americana 101. Cheers.

5. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

in the spirit of full disclosure, I also have a rip of a 1980s show from a cassette master ....

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I consider myself to be a well informed, somewhat knowledgable and objective listener. I dont have my gear listed simply because I have no gear. Therefore I steer clear of subjective audio critiques, which is hard because I abhor noisy overdriven mixes/masters. I find some of the advice here invaluable as I continue to seek out the highest quality masterings.

I have a Macbook pro and I download hi-res Lossless files and use iTunes/XLD to exteact from cd or from files. I either listen thru my iPhone 6 or FIIOx-1 hooked up thru various different configurations. I stream thru apple Music. I dont know if I should list those specs or does it even matter?

rufus t firefly likes this.
  7. libertycaps

Dick's 24, not 23. Derp.

8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I worked on a number of shows that ended up on the archive, but I am not an audiophile. You've been warned.

Instant Dharma, dgwint and ianuaditis like this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

YES.

In fact, if you have patience/time, it might not be a bad idea to check the local thrift stores every week or two. I've found quite a few pairs of quality bookshelf speakers for cheap (<$30) over the years at my local. In fact, my entire bedroom system cost me less than <$100, found entirely at the thrift store:

Sony X222ES (high quality early '90s CD player)
    Sony PS X55 (excellent '80s direct drive turntable)
    NAD 7125 (budget hifi receiver/amp from the '80s)
    PSB Image 1B (great Canadian bookshelf speakers)
    Yamaha YST SW215 subwoofer (to fill out the lows)

RockRoom and ianuaditis like this.
  10. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not at all used to the bells and whistles on this forum yet, but I'll get it eventually. It sounds like there's a place for me to fill out my audio equipment, I'll take a look for it. Until then:

Sony 7.1 Surround STR-DN1000 with Bose bookshelf speakers and subwoofer. I also have a pair of Pioneer HPM 100 speakers to bolster the sound a bit. Just curious if anyone else listens with back speakers as well? If I listen on headphones (which I do about 50% of the time) I use Plantronics Backbeat Pro, with Wall-of-Sound-like phase cancellation noise reduction.

I realized I was an audiophile when I was around 10 or 11. I used to "rip" my new vinyl LPs to cassette tape on the first listen, to ensure the least amount of pops and hisses. I also distinctly remember asking my older brother why my recently purchased TDK normal bias tapes sounded so muffled, compared to their high bias counterpart. He explained the difference between normal and high bias, and I never bought a normal bias tape again (I think 80 percent of my personal income from then until age 18 went to Maxell XLII-S tapes).

I appreciate the feedback from everyone, especially the folks who took the time to pop on the 5/9/77 Help On The Way.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    bmoregnr likes this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The tapes I would always use on my Tascam 424 :).

dzhason likes this.
  12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Step away from the place for a while and come back to find everyone is at each other’s throats :cry:.

:laugh:

Even that can’t bring me down from this epic 12/26/79 jamming starting with UJB> on Dick’s Picks 5. I have to admit I’m a little tempted to go check out DaP24 again to see what all the hubbub is about, but... nah, this stuff is too doggone good. All the transitions are epic, the > in UJB > Estimated and then the Jam along with its > to He’s Gone and then its > to TOO and the Drums, baby, the DRUMS. I can barely restrain myself from breaking out the multicolored-varying-font-and-font-sizes, but bold and caps will have to do. ...and I’m not even to the end yet.

EDIT: oops, thought I was in the Grateful Thread :agree:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  13. The Dec '79 Oakland run is so good. :cool:

14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Brent era from 79-81.
    Solid, Jackson.

15. Terrapin > Playin' > Drums from the Dec. '79 Oakland run (released as part of the Road Trips series).
    That's my jam!

16. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That sounds like a very coordinated turtle!

17. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Just reading some reviews on the upcoming DaP. As usual, I am excited to hear this show in its cleaned up form. Number 25 will ship in February?

18. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Yep, on or around Feb. 1st.

19. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

They usually ship the week before or of 2/1, so from looking at the calendar, I'd bet they go out on 1/29 (the Monday).

What I want is the announcement on Dave's 26! I am super intrigued by all the hints.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Have a defective disc 3 in the latest Dave's Picks - it skips on Sugar Magnolia & refuses to complete the EAC rip there on that same track. First time this has ever happened with a dead.net order. Not real happy with the response from Dead.net so far (hint: there is none). I called the 1-800 number which apparently does NOT handle problems, only new orders. Emailed the "wmg" address 9 days ago with no response yet. Emailed the "dr. rhino" address two days ago & still waiting to be acknowledged there.

Anyone have any tips or another valid phone # or email where I might be able to get this resolved?

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Sitting in my rig in Dallas Tx right now realizing i will finally have money to subscribe!

Im lazy and in my phone - when does/did subscribing for next year end?

22. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Many of Miller's masterings sound better or same as the DaPicks releases. I stopped subscribing 2 years ago because sound quality up to then of the DaPicks had been disappointing compared to older shows they were putting out.

warewolf95 and wavethatflag like this.
  23. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

I also had a defective third disc, Issue was in sugar mag also

I emailed Dr Rhino at

Drrhino at wmgcustomerservice.com

Provided my order number , heard back next day with an acknowledgement and had replacement disc within a week and half from my original email

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I don't know when it ends. It's still up as of yesterday.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I believe it is 12/22, so I’d do it ASAP!

warewolf95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.