Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Boreal Ridge was a road trip that I passed on. Santa Barbara to BR and back for one show seemed like a little too much to ask, especially having to work on Monday. All my other Head friends went. They didn't have much to say. I moved back to the Bay Area in early 86, and by then the show had become legend. For all the wrong reasons. Sounds like anything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. We saw them 3 weeks later near San Diego and they were on fire. And I saw them 2 years later in Calaveras (also in the Sierra Nevada mountains) with Santana and David Lindley and it was all good.

One reviewer nominated Highgate 95 as the worst ever, but put Boreal as 1A. Yikes.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

should be here in 2 weeks yet no announcement. odd

3. ducksdeluxe

Maybe it won't be here in 2 weeks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Could someone describe what was so awful about this Boreal Ridge gig that led it to attaining "worst of the worst" status?

5. ducksdeluxe

Hotter than hell, dust blowing everywhere, technical difficulties, and a pretty pathetic performance. Oh, and the worst traffic jam you can image. It's on the archive. Check it out for yourself if you dare.

giantleech likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The waaaaiting is the hardest part...

[​IMG]

7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

..........or for Boreal Ridge, the Saturday Night Live Swill parody.

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Oh, right. Thanks. The deadlists description, which comes from a Tapers' Section on dead dot net, suggests that it's not a likely candidate for release, notwithstanding the hype in the announcement about the Mountain Girl tapes:

Next Time You See Me and Me And Bobby McGee made available via David Lemeiux's 'Tapers Section'. From the website: "...3/17/71 has a few technical issues at key points in the master tapes (specifically bad cuts in the reels during Hard To Handle and the Other One suite), but from that show we were able to salvage this good version of Next Time You See Me as well as this tight version Me and Bobby McGee, both from the first set."

Surely the discs are packed and sealed and ready to go already. I doubt they could change things now. Four months ago, perhaps.

Kevin55 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Supposedly the wind, in addition to blowing dust everywhere, played havoc with the sound. I've never bothered to listen to this one, but I imagine it can't be worse than Highgate or Giants in '95. One of those Giants shows is probably the worst I ever saw (or heard), although some other summer '95 shows were pretty close.

11. Six Bachelors

Was the Skydog box produced before the Dead got those late '69/early '70 tapes back a few years ago?

I think I'd prefer to listen to Boreal Ridge than eat anything on that plate.

12. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

Skydog was released early 2013 and Daves 6 also in 2013 so the box was probably in progress when the tapes were returned.

13. Six Bachelors

Hmmmm. So the "swap" is entirely possible.

Come on 11 February '70. :pineapple:

14. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Not to mention the rampant cannibalism.

15. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Truckee burned for a week after the rioting (surprising many who didn't realize there was a week's worth to burn in Truckee).

16. I'm guessing it will at least be a post-1975 show.
    Maybe...

2.26.77 Swing Aud., San Bernadino
    10.29.77 Dekalb, Il or
    4.22.79 Spartan Stadium

17. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Dave's 20 wasn't announced until the 26th of the month, so still could be next week even.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't think we're gonna have more '77 this year, but then again I could be absolutely wrong.

19. Dave gave us a '73 and a '71 show so far in 2017.
    I don't think we will lucky enough to get 3 in a row from the band's Greatest Era (1967-1975)

Ezzie, wlove2372 and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I would like something from the greatest of the greatest era (1972-1974) :D.
    After the (splendid) Get Shown The Light box set, I don't imagine more '77 this year.
    Honestly, I would like a show I have not interest in, so I can save some money. Give the fans some more post-78, Dave, they demand it!

21. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I'm still chanting "Hol-lee-wood...Hol-lee-wood...Hol-lee-wood"

22. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

2-26-77 will definitely be coming out at some point now that the Betty Board has been retuned. I can't wait for when it does. One of the more unique shows they've done in terms of the vibe, IMO.

adamos, Ezzie, Crispy Rob and 9 others like this.
  23. Sooooo good!
    2/26 is my 2nd favorite '77 show, right behind Cornell 5/8.
    I have listened to that PITB > Wheel > PITB hundreds of times, and it still delivers!

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, bmoregnr and 3 others like this.
  24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Dave's busy:

25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I like this show even more than some high profile may 77 shows

Crispy Rob and Blue Note like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.