Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh hell yeah!

[​IMG]

2. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Very familiar with the cassette and incredibly excited for the CDs!

Crispy Rob and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I have very few shows from the 80's in my collection. I assumed when I subscribed that I'd be getting into some unfamiliar territory sooner or later, so looking forward to checking this out.

LucaB, unravelled, zephyr25 and 5 others like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

A bar with no IPAs? Sign me up!

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Both?

6. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

My thoughts as well on the release connection, which is why I mentioned a "coincidence".

I think the graphics do try to represent the location. With the mountainscape, which looks to be the Sawtooth Range, and the Dino thing it's somewhat representative. But I wonder if there is a graphic connection with the Garcia album? Otherwise it's amybe a bit unoriginal in design. I do like the connection though, whatever it is.

7. AxiomAcoustics

Not a hophead eh?

8. MacMan2007

MacMan2007 Forum Resident

I'm not sure I've given 80's GD a fair shake. The focus has been so much on late 60's-78 for the past few years - since I've become a "serious" fan. You fine folks pointed me to 10/31/83 on the other thread. I love it! Looking forward to this one!

anth67, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  9. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

16 years ago I traded for 1/2 a dozen soundboards of the 1980 acoustic sets as I love that stuff a lot but nowadays if I want to hear it I put on Reckoning. As much as I love the '80 acoustic sets I too think the Reckoning with the bonus disc covers this material well enough. The tape running out during the finishing notes of “Ripple” was a problem for several dates at least on my copies.

Despite a wider variety of songs in ’70 I generally prefer their performances in ’80. I think Bob’s a better singer and Jerry’s older voice is better for the themes of some of the songs. But the main reason why I prefer ’80 acoustic is that one of their greatest songs wasn’t written yet in 1970. “Bird Song”! As much as I love ’72 electric versions of the song I consider the 1980 acoustic version (on Reckoning) to be one of the all-time great performances. And as a nod to Bob (and Brent & the percussion work), “Cassidy” wasn’t around in 1970 either and it too is a fantastic song acoustic.

Of course if some of the MIA great shows of '70 magically appear in the vault, bring 'em!

10. AxiomAcoustics

Maybe time to revisit this one. A month later, some setlist crossover and a similar source in the cassette "master".

[​IMG]

11. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'll be putting mine in the For Sale section (sealed) after it arrives. Keep an eye out.

12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m fine with this pick and I too enjoy a bit of variety. It’s all part of the story. Looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, I'm a subscriber and always have been, but I also know that there are 30 years worth of shows to pick from and at any given time could get just about any year! I guess my thought is, I wouldn't spend the money if I only like some Grateful Dead.

laf848 likes this.
  14. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I was thinking along the same lines, except I just pulled 10.20.83 from my 30 Trips Box.

15. AxiomAcoustics

Let's hope that Norman got the "Dubly" button n the right position this time.
    :laugh:

Crispy Rob and Phoenician like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's a nice one, and I'm not even a fan of 80's shows.
    And the '83 show on 30 Trips is really good too.
    Maybe I should have ordered the latest DaP after all :laugh:

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The horror, the horror.

18. AxiomAcoustics

You'd maybe even get it before the 50th anniversary of the show!
    :D

19. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Dave's 27 already going for $75.00 on EBay.

If you are looking, don't buy it now. Wait until everyone gets a physical copy in August. The price will drop to $42.00 or so.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Is it true that Phil opened with “Citizens of Boise. SUBMIT, for you are a Conquered People”?

I just had to put on 2/28/69 to dull the pain. “I came here to hear psychedelic music! What is this crap?”

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  21. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

????
    That ain't a horse?
    Cascades in the back.

ianuaditis, KDubATX and ronbow like this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

To complete my Beat the Dead Horse award, here’s hoping Dave’s 27 doesn’t *sound* as horrible as this release.

23. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Whoa, I rarely listen to the "Listening Party" (because no good reason), but this Big Railroad Blues is a monster. The citizens of Boise must not have submitted cuz Phil buries them under a river of molten infra-bass bombs on that cut. Listening to Deal as I type and it is rocking right, Blah blah, cassette masters, blah blah....

24. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Based on the listening party, it is superior to DP6 (sound quality wise at least)

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  25. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

The 80s are full of great stuff. Not everyone is thrilled, I take it, but I don’t see any reason to cancel your subscription, or move to Canada, or whatever else people are doing in response to Dave’s unmitigated audacity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.