Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

No, i meant why here? What’s the relevance to the thread?

2. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Tony did the art for Dave's Vols. 9-12 and the Passaic 4/25/77 record. Micah Nelson was the artist for that Vol. 16 cover. I think Tony's covers are particularly clever, but it would be nice to see them get away from the cartoon style.

3. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I like the fractal covers and layout of those Dick’s Picks the most.

4. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

A cleaner, more graphic art approach to the cover art for 2019 would be a nice change.

5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

While i dont always judge a book by its cover and some high art does masquerade as a cartoon in some instances it does belittle the importance of the material contained therein. These are important to us historical documents are they not? sure nothing wrong with a little pop art but to have the design of the PNW was something that denoted that this is worthy to the initiated as well as the uninitiated.
    Similarly i found it humorous that many fans wore shirts that were emblazoned with cartoon characters. While i cannot deny the significance of these images they nonetheless belonged to our childhood and both denigrated the perception of the wearer by the public (culturally stunted) and framing the experience as schlocky.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The first May '77 box set (11 thru 17 May 1977) is a great example of this type of style.

7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Thank you! I actually wrote DL2 something similar re initial DavP 1, which i found a bit Iron-Maidenish. I did really prefer the less frivolous artwork for the DP series - tape boxes, fractals, abstracts, etc. (The doofus skeletons also undermine the more classic and iconic use of really nice images.) My 2 cents.

Don’t want to take this too seriously , but...

8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Man, I don't know, I've liked a lot of the doofus skeleton covers.

And, yeah these are important historical documents, but they're also supposed to be fun!

9. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. US Blues

That looks like the sticker a 31 year old kid put on his guitar.

Ray29, notesofachord, Jerry and 7 others like this.
  11. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

[​IMG] My favorite Dave's Picks covers (so far) are the ones done by Timothy Truman - a real 'Head.

beatboy1975, Ray29, adamos and 8 others like this.
  12. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Skeletons, but not doofus-y. The UCLA pick may be my favorite cover in the series, along with the Fox Theatre one.

13. trd

trd Forum Resident

I think the Fox one is great

14. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

I agree. In general, I like the covers: they're colorful and the writing on the spines is legible and tasteful.

KCWhistle and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The covers have grown on me. It took some time, particularly because the Road Trips artwork was so good (in general), but I have grown to appreciate the artwork for the Dave's Picks series.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Can’t beat that, but I did see 6 of them.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I've always wondered what the house has to do with the venue or the show, and I just found out that's Willie Nelson's son. (not that those observations are connected in any way.)

I'm on record more than once in this space that the 'skeletons doing stuff' concept could be put to bed anytime. I think all the art is just fine, just the concept is hackneyed by now. I just looked back at the whole series, the first year with Scott McDougall, Tony Millionaire's year (the Montana cover was a brilliant way to use more than one element of their iconography in a unique way,) and Nelson's year with the watercolors are my favorites.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  18. ianuaditis

In 94? Some guys get all the luck.

Crispy Rob and footlooseman like this.
  19. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Would've been alright if Bob had used his new found love of the acoustic guitar in '94 to other ends than freshening up the cowboy material, but I still love Bobby regardless.

Crispy Rob, trd and ianuaditis like this.
  20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The balloons on the cover of Vol. 26 (11/17/71 Albuquerque) by Tim McDonagh was a refreshing change--and I like how the Bonus Disc art from Vol. 25 foreshadows that theme. Vol. 27 is a pretty good imitation of Tony Millionaire's series, except that the front rider's head runs into the Skull & Roses logo, so her head sort of gets lost, which strikes me as poor graphic design. I love how Vickers brought a completely fresh perspective. They ought to hire him to do next year's series. Or, if they want to keep his art special to the PNW box, at least give the next artist this brief: Be Different.

21. ianuaditis

He also used it on Looks Like Rain :D

I don't mind me and my uncle, personally. It's no Mexicali Blues, but it's all right.
    Yes it might be going a bit too far to say 'no skeletons/SYF,' it's supposed to be art and all...The last such cover was DaP 19 with the surfing turtle, I think.

I wonder, do they tell the artist in advance what the four picks are going to be, or do they do them once a quarter.

22. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Just sayin' that the doofus skeletons have ruled the Dave's Pick cover art roost for a long time it seems.
    /2 cents

23. US Blues

This past week the balloon fiesta was held in ABQ.

24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Well I called them and was told that I would need to send an email to have the address changed, apparently it couldn't be done over the phone? So I sent an email immediately after that, requesting confirmation when it was updated. Guess I'll cross my fingers and keep checking back in!

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

And "Eternity," if I remember right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.