Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That's right, and Black Throated Wind, which (maybe along with Cumberland Blues) might be the only song he used it on that no one hates.

US Blues likes this.
  2. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

There’s a lot about the artwork of Dave’s 12 that appeals to me.

There’s a lot of cool things going on there on kind of a miniature level like an epic landscape from a Hudson River School painter. Not the amazing detail of course, but the overall feel of it. The tiny figure at the top of the SYF placing the last brick in it. The unfinished mid-construction look. The workers bringing in the materials needed. It’s kinda neat.

(Can’t seem to get an image to stick here. Here’s a link.)

Google Image Result for https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KGK76ehhggs/VFmRwvVHYkI/AAAAAAAAGlk/jZRS6xPU_5Q/w1408-h1408/Grateful%2BDead%2B-%2BDave%2527s%2BPicks%2BVol%2B12.jpg

3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

He didn't have enough time to overplay Black Throated Wind after it was resurrected.

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Forum Resident

This years DaP’s artwork is a lot better than 2017’s. DaP Vol. 20-24 rivals “Shining Star” for most heinous cover art on a Grateful Dead related release, IMO. I thought the DP art was much better quality, especially the Ampex case and the brown wrapper with the stamp.

6. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Love me some Dave’s Picks #9 Missoula, MT cover art.

7. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Forum Resident

I seem to have forgotten how awful the first Spring 1990 box by Wes Lang was.

8. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Thanks!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. I don’t listen to Wes Lang, but the GOGD from that Spring 1990 box sounds mighty fine!

Lands End Drums, Ray29 and US Blues like this.
  10. I hope there are more releases from the Pigpen era next year.
    2 out of 4 would be nice.

11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It'll be nice to listen to this again with fresh ears (and better quality). Checking back to my too brief listening notes from the last time I played it, I seemed a little unimpressed compared to other shows from that month. I did jot down that the "Help > Slip > Frank" and "Let It Grow > Wharf Rat" were highlights.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not nearly as fine as the second box from the multi-tracks, but the music is excellent.

13. I love both boxes, I didn’t recall that one was from multi. What was the source of the first box?

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The first 1990 box was from two-track sources. If I recall right they were done by John Cutler.

Crispy Rob and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

2-track DATs, making the fact that they were HDCD encoded, and also later sold as 24/88.2 downloads, pretty meaningless, since the DATs were 16/44.1

16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

you can view it as folk art ; ) But the polished logos (song & artist) are still incongruous to the image, and each other.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    ianuaditis likes this.
  17. The HDCD encoded CD’s sound great to my ears. Spring 1990 1 and 2. Two or my favorite GD boxes which should come as no surprise to the folks that know me here. :righton:

[​IMG]

trd and John Bonham like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, I was hanging out with Rod Stewart back in those days, but he caught a few more shows that year and caught all dozen Me and My Uncles.

notesofachord likes this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

some guys do nothing but complain?

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Every picture tells a story: donut.

21. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

mmmmm....donuts
    [​IMG]

22. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I think we'll be lucky to get 1. He doesn't seem interested.

23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Genuine question - has he stated that he's less interested in releasing stuff from that era? Or are you basing that on the dearth of that material over the last few years? I'm wondering if it's more just a case of TPTB thinking it's not as highly desired, or maybe a backlog of good 70s material having been returned.

Or, heck, saving up for a killer box in the next few years?

KCWhistle likes this.
  24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yeah, there are only a couple things that have really bothered me in all the released Grateful Dead archive series and one was that the first Spring 1990 used the soundboard tapes and wasn't remixed from multi-track. I'm still pretty unhappy about that. And normally, I'm pretty laid back and positive.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

He's more interested in that than the 90's! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.