Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

i pretty much agree and good points... sometimes she is a bit... out of key/tune perhaps...?
    on the other hand, it is the Grateful Dead (not John and Paul, Art and Paul, Brian and Carl etc.) I actually like Jerry the best as a vocalist!

fishcane likes this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The reaction to Dave's 20 could (should) have led them to do better. I recall some real enthusiasm around here that led to disappointment when the product arrived.

I (and many others) are in for the subscription in any event. Realistically, I already have plenty from the peak years and know about many of the great unreleased shows.
    I "need" Dave et al to lead me to the greatness that exists in the post-Keith years.

I can see the risk in creating a separate series out of those years, but 1/4 of the subscription service is a safe bet. It will be harder to do. You can throw a dart at the calendar from 71-78 and the only real question will be sound quality. After that is where an expert curator is needed.

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

A lot of the comments I've seen about the aversion to DaP 21 are due to them picking a mediocre show, choosing SQ (master reel) over performance etc, not necessarily that it was from the 80s. Some of those late 80s multitrack releases have done very well for them.

However, DP5, from 1979, was the worst selling of the first five volumes of Dick's Picks, and DP6, from 83, dropped right off the map, not even half as many sales as DP5. ( Other factors may be involved in that, the GD put out 5 releases in 1996, including Dozin' at the Knick, which did very well, eventually certified Gold, and DP4 also sold more than 150,000 copies. And the Dick's series saw diminishing sales for pretty much every volume after #6, including some real classics like 5-2-70).
    I love the scream on Playin' in the Band. I saw a Dead cover band that had a female (backup) singer, and they played that tune, and when she did not do the scream it was a huge letdown. I was all geared up to start flipping out when the moment came, but it was not to be. Very disappointing. (For the record, it's only in the last year or so I've adopted that opinion of it.)

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

People really have tunnel vision with their distaste of Donna's PITB yell, but don't bat an eye with every single off-key, pitch-warbly, vocal affectation attempted by Bob. I'm really do love the GD, but my god those Bob songs are a trying affair. Maybe I need to listen to more 2nd set material.

5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Agreed

citizensmurf and Dahabenzapple like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I’ll go with her over Brent.

7. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

And since fans of the latter era are probably younger than those who live in Pigpen thru '78 era, make 'em downloads.

warewolf95, ducksdeluxe and budwhite like this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I'd say 82, 85, 87 and 89 are all excellent.

9. warewolf95

'

I'm 22. I love it all. I want 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. :)

I understand the 70's emphasis and I've said before I think it'd be a cool/reasonable idea to do 3 70's shows and then one 80's/90's show. The emphasis will still appeal to the masses while also getting stuff to those of us welcoming other decades. :)

10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I have found, oddly enough, the the odd numbered years in the 80s are the superior years. 83 was the most psychedelic, at least for me.

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Except Dave's 20 (Boulder '81) is not a mediocre show, IMO. It's simply a very good show with good sound. It'll scratch the itch for a good-sounding early '80s show just fine for me when I'm in the mood. It's not an exceptional show though, and undoubtedly there are likely a few dozen shows from '81 with more impressive performances on the whole.

12. warewolf95

Like the one on the Porch Crusher, for example. :)

Matthew Tate and SBegonias17 like this.
  13. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Thank you, that really needed to be said/written.

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I bought the hi-res download...

...and then a year later bought the box in order the have the artwork and liner notes.

It is beautiful-sounding and -looking.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Except that the keyboardist during the time would probably have quit the band.

16. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

To each their own, but I think we're saying sort of the same thing - I'd agree that there are likely a few dozen shows from '81 that are better as a whole, in fact, every '81 show I've heard has been better. The 35th or show best show in a non-peak year, is mediocre by Dead standards relative to other shows, from a pure mathematical standpoint (I don't use mediocre as a comparison to anything other than GD shows). The sound quality is good and I believe the show was solely chosen because it was one of the few early 80s reel-to-reel shows and sound quality, not because it was one of the best unreleased shows from that year.

Dahabenzapple and budwhite like this.
  17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Son, you're clueless. And we'll leave it at that.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I saw much better shows in '83, deeply psychedelic.

19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Listening to DaP 20 for the first time, I was expecting mediocrity, but it was a very good listen. Far better to my ears than DaP 17, which had only a few decent tracks.

20. warewolf95

So, being a first time subscriber, can anyone tell if they get shipped on the 26th? Or are they shipped ahead of time due to arrive on the 26th?

AlienRendel and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Last year mine were consistently showing up about the 27th.

AlienRendel and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

specially those SS!!

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you usually get them right around the release date

AlienRendel and warewolf95 like this.
  24. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

How would I know it's uncomfortable if I hadn't been there? Yes. Saw many shows in the 90's. Will be perfectly happy if I never see another show there again.

25. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

I love this period too. But there's lots of good stuff from '81-'83 as well. I'd be first in line for a box set of the Warfield '80 run.

beatboy1975 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.