Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

not that I can blame you but you aren't looking close enough. Pants come late in the show but not before the damage is done

Six Bachelors likes this.
  2. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

This one? :)

[​IMG]

zphage, bzfgt and ducksdeluxe like this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Not for the first half of the show. Makes me glad I didn't get the blu-ray. :hurl:

4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Wait, it's coming back to me now. Thanks so much.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

[​IMG]

6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

That's neither a Ferrari nor a Merc. That's a Ghia with a bird sitting on the hood.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  7. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Close. That's 430 Scuderia. I have a 430 Spyder.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I'm glad I'm not the only one mostly unimpressed by the BCT 72 show. There is some straight sloppiness to the playing at that show. It's still a 72 show mind you, but... I had no problem letting my hard copy go on Ebay.

9. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Pretty sure that’s Ozzy with a bird sitting on his head.

10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

This is an opinion I don't share. A more agreeable statement might be that Red Rocks has the greatest variety of sound quality across different seating areas. It is true that the sound can be hollow and terrible towards the top, especially on a windy day. But if you're sitting in the sweet spot--about 10 rows behind the board, DFC--the sound is heavenly.

Also, I know for an unfortunate fact that the Philly Spectrum had no such "sweet spot." :)

11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I only saw the Dead at the Spectrum once, and I was in the lower tier (a rare occurrence!) and the sound left much to be desired that night. It wasn't one of those nights when they simply weren't loud enough, either....

12. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I like the subscription. Don't have to worry about missing anything, and the selections tend to increase in value. And while I am a hardcore 1967-1978 fan, I am nearing saturation for those years and would not mind 1-2 carefully selected shows from 1980-1990 each year, maybe 1991, but nothing after 1991.

13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

What 1983 shows do you recommend as the best examples?

AlienRendel, US Blues and giantleech like this.
  14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

The way I look at it, each year's subscription should be bookended by real hot corkers (circa '67-'78) for that year's 1st and 4th pick, pick 2 being reserved for a either a monster length show requiring 4 discs or something of the sort that makes good use of the "bonus disc," and leave pick 3 for a "wild card" selection out of the decade of the '80s to provide a fix from that under represented era.

15. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I really enjoy 10/17/83 and think it’s one of the best of that era.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

exactly

17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

You may always paint your car like this (Ferrari will surely refuse to buy it back) and flip it on eBay! ;)

[​IMG]

18. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

12/28/83 set 2

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I was there, and I concur.

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

21. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

That's ridiculous. There aren't THAT many flippers out there. It's much more likely -- and supported by the math BTW -- that this project makes just enough money to cover expenses and justify the next release. Otherwise, there'd be no point to doing limited runs at all.

ronbow and BurtThomasWard like this.
  22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Other than not wanting to alienate the flippers, (because they see them as an important segment of the customer base) what's a good explanation of why they don't just print and sell more copies when the demand is obvious? Who but flippers would even care if they did?

I'd be interested to see the supporting math - this year they seem to have sold a lot of subscriptions, even if we assume only 15,000 at the early bird price, that's 1.5 million in revenue. Are they really costing anywhere near $375,000 per title to produce? When they started out they only printed 10,000 - I have to assume they decided on a sustainable number from the beginning, and even then must have figured on some profit to kickstart the next release.

23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

A copy of Dave's Picks Vol. 2 (no bonus disc) just sold on eBay at auction for $422.00.

Matthew Tate and Rne like this.
  24. I think we can safely assume they're trying to maximize profit rather than cover expenses.

I'd say the explanation of why they don't just print and sell more is that the sense of limited supply amongst the customer base spikes immediate demand for the release and ensures they get that wack of revenue right away rather than over a period of time.

I know we're talking about the Dead here, and there's this perception of incompetence or flying by the seat of the pants, but the individuals making this decision from Rhino's end (i.e. Mark Pinkus) are Business School grads/experienced music industry execs who we can assume have thought a lot more about the economics of this than a bunch of music message board enthusiasts.

25. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

I saw a about a dozen shows in '83. I thought Saratoga Springs and first night of Merriweather in the summer were excellent. I loved Hartford '83 in the fall as well. The first night of Merriweather in June 83 was one sick ass show, but probably one of those if weren't there you'd never understand nights!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.