Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Binghamton is a fine show, I enjoy the heck out of it. Glad you do too.

BurtThomasWard and AlienRendel like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow thats true? i never knew that

Nightswimmer likes this.
  3. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

It is kind of amazing, actually. I often think to myself: they should release 6-23-74 soon. Then I think to myself: they do a Box Set of June 74 through Plangent Process since they’ve only released parts of the tour. Then I think to myself: they should remaster all the Dicks Picks and Road Trips as complete shows in 24bit FLAC so we get the whole 6-16/18/26/28-74.

Basically, it’s kinda a conundrum on what to do with June 74 at this point. Arguably one of the greatest tours they’ve ever done.

4. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

June 74 box set. Or May + June. If they can do July 78 they can do this.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You, my friend, have won the Internet.

6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I just finished my first listen to the latest over a couple of evenings, and overall I like it quite a bit. The bookends in the first set are right there with best ever versions. 77 and 78 were such a good period for both Half Step and Music Never Stopped. The first set is really strong overall. Donna sounds pretty good throughout, but she didn't need to sing on a couple of tunes. Dupree's and Wharf Rat in particular do not suit her. But it sounded like the crowd settled down and listened to her sing Sunrise. One of the few Scarlet>Fires I've heard where the Fire is superior. It's pretty energetic whereas the Scarlet is pretty ordinary. St. Stephen isn't super. I don't think it was very often in this period. 1/22/78 has a pretty fair version, but the rest of them from 76-78 lack power. Maybe I'm just spoiled on the L/D version. But Wharf Rat and of course Truckin' do not lack for power. Or shredding. Or Keith pounding the hell out of his piano. 8.5/10

Now unless they're going to drop 2/26/77 and/or the mythical 6/4/77 on us that's enough 77 for a long time as far as I'm concerned. Save some for the 50th anniversary in 9 years. :p

Archtop, bmoregnr, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  7. David Beckwith

That would be amazing. I was almost a bit shocked when I heard they were releasing 5-14-74 some years back since May 74 was a perfect Box Set candidate. We shall see!

John Bonham and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. David Beckwith

FTFY. :^)

If only 6-4-77 was innthe Vault. Alas.

9. we are coming to that point in the release cycle where those of us from Canada start asking one another, "got yours yet?"

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`d pre order a May/June`74 box without hesitation!

11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Trivia time.

This was also one of only three shows in 1977 not to feature either Estimated Prophet or Terrapin Station. 10/2, 10/14 and 11/6. They played Estimated every show from 2/26 until 10/2 when they finally gave it a rest.

12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Honestly what's even crazier to me is NOT ONE summer '73 show period.

13. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...and ditto for those of us from Australia.

bliss44 likes this.
  14. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Great post! I was at at that show and recall when the guy brought up the St Stephen plaque but wasn't close enough (I was about at least a dozen deep into the crowd) to hear what they were saying as they huddled together.

And I didn't know about your after show party.

adamos, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

thats the dream brother

16. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

If you'd have just made that right turn walking down Court Street and gone about a half mile you couldn't have missed it! I remember coming down the stairs the next morning (or afternoon!) and seeing about 25 people crashed out on our living room floor that I'd never seen before. 40 years later it seems like yesterday....

talkingleaf, nitsuj, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Ah! No wonder I missed it. I lived in the other direction (Endicott).

18. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Got mine in Germany. Customs held it up, but did not charge anything.

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I know you dig '70 Dead, so give the 5/6/70 version from the MIT Student Center Steps (Kresge Plaza) a spin.

St. Stephen-->
    NFA-->
    St. Stephen-->
    NFA

It may not be the best version out there, but it is absolutely cracklin'.

20. David Beckwith

The early St. Stephen’s definitely had more wild energy. I still love the ones from the late 70’s though. Many (especially Cornell) have an elegant bluesy swing to them that nicely lends itself to that era. I don’t discriminate against any St. Stephen’s. :^)

Matthew Tate, SBegonias17 and dtuck90 like this.
  21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

This is probably the first show I've heard (in my brief time as a Dead fan) where the first set is better than the second.

22. Archtop

'77 is conducive to this relatively rare phenomenon. The streamlined, clean-it-up approach (dare I say antiseptic?) lends itself much more to typical first set material than it does to longer, improvisational pieces.

23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Coming from hearing the same 2nd set tracks on the Get Shown box, these versions just seem like they don't quite get the liftoff they deserve. Even the lower tempo NFA could have been great, but the momentum just fizzled.

Matthew Tate and Archtop like this.
  24. Archtop

Spring '77 benefited from the novelty of freshness, but the streamlined approach wore thin fairly rapidly, IMO. The 9/3/77 Raceway Park show is an exception, but the relatively plodding NFA on that one can't hold a candle to the Sept. '74 NFA from Alexandra Palace on DP 7. Other than Mickey, the very same personnel, but in no way the same band.

25. David Beckwith

The DP 7 version of NFA is an all time personal favorite. And one of the only stand alone versions. I imagine they did a few stand alone a back in 1970-ish, but nothing comes to mind immediately.

I still love a ferocious 77 NFA even if it is a slower tempo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.