Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

That too, but I feel for folks that missed the window yesterday and are faced with a sea of these before it's even out.

ianuaditis, KCWhistle and SBegonias17 like this.
  2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Prices will come down. People were selling 24 & 25 for the same prices right after they sold out, now lots of copies for $50, which isn't too outrageous.

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Right. The less return on investment, the less likely that flippers will buy in the future.
    I would assume that many of the listing are fro subscriptions. After shipping and eBay fees, there isn't much profit to be made.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

That's actually a good measurement of supply and demand for Rhino.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Obviously people buy two, sell the one to cover most of their cost so they get it almost free.

agn and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

But if they’re selling for only around 50-60 each on eBay, after fees, just covers the cost of one with a 5-10 profit. Would have to sell at $70. After fees, that’s $60 in your pocket. Subscription still slightly more than $32 each. I think my subscription was $128 or so with free shipping. That sound right?

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

As someone who didn't bother to subscribe because he was "never going to be able to afford all the older Dave's Picks he wanted and couldn't bear the thought of an incomplete collection" -- and who then had an entirely foreseeable change of heart :rolleyes: -- I was pretty happy to snag one yesterday at a reasonable price, and with the bonus disc for good measure. But seeing plenty of others listed without the bonus disc, and selling for way more, definitely makes me feel bad for those who missed out. I already eagerly await the 2019 subscription email this fall.

8. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I bet Real Gone will reissue Dave's when they finish Road Trips which is why I can't imagine paying $400 for Dave's Picks 1.

9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I can't imagine paying $400 for anything that doesn't involve a felony.

Quincy, nitsuj, Ezzie and 7 others like this.
  10. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Or a misdemeanor if you live in California!

Ezzie, budwhite, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  11. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Their "reissue in reverse order" system seems curious to me. Even if Dave's Picks ended this year and Real Gone started reissuing in January, it'd be what, six years before they made their way back to the beginning? Yikes.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My subscription was $99 U.S. with free shipping. I got the early bird special.

Ezzie, budwhite, ndoheny and 5 others like this.
  13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Didn't use to be the case. The bonus disc for Road Trips 1.3 (2008) included five of 'em:

Hard To Handle
    Sing Me Back Home
    Big Boss Man
    Not Fade Away
    Turn On Your Lovelight

Not that I particularly needed another Run Rudolph. (Or Dave's 26, for that matter.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's kind of a bummer going forward. Then again, I wish that there were NO bonus discs. Folks shouldn't get shut out because they missed a deadline and I don't care a single bit about exclusivity. Still, I guess the "better get it now" sales strategy works for them and keeps the ball rolling.

15. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Yep. Next year I'm just going to subscribe. Two years in a row I "thought" I'd pick and choose instead of the whole deal. Next year I'm subscribing.

16. anth67

Goodness, bring on the horns already!! Something different, please!!! I think the horns are fun, even if they're clunky, it was the one moment in the band's career they featured a horn section. And as you've all noted, it's not like it's the whole show. Dave just releases the same weeks of the same years over and over again. The current release & bonus disc is nearly the same release as this time last year. (Which is why I no longer subscribe ~ it's really never difficult to obtain releases I truly want.)

I'd LOVE a horns show, with a Norman quality "Sing My Blues Away"....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  17. anth67

Yeah, some truly essential stuff has come out on bonus discs ~ seems a shame to waste all that mixing & mastering on the Road Trips ones, especially, since they really are extensions of those releases. Wall of Sound '74 & From Egypt With Love '78 come to mind.

The current sales strategy is rather annoying, if probably necessary to keep it rolling. I'm happy for those who continue to discover the band and don't have big libraries, that they can experience the thrill of new releases. I still keep a toe in (and still spring for more than I care to admit), but after a couple decades I'm pretty saturated with the release machine and pretty satisfied with the toys I have. The Dave's series' lack of variety makes it easier to abstain.... But I'll still always go for a 68-70 :D And Eugene '78 was pretty bad@ss.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Ezzie, Archtop, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  18. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I have a fairly comprehensive collection and i've only been disappointed by one or two official releases. Both are Dick's Picks, iirc.

SBegonias17 and ianuaditis like this.
  19. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Anyone else get a shipping notice for 26? Mine is supposed to be here Thursday the 19th!?

Mr. H, Ezzie, SBegonias17 and 2 others like this.
  20. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

9-11-73 definitely deserves the Full Norman. Someday....someday.

Crispy Rob, Ezzie, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Not the least of which is the 3/23/72 stand alone Dark Star from the Academy of Music Bonus disc. Grounding buzz notwithstanding, there's some seriously good stuff going on.

22. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I wouldn't count on Dave's Picks being reissued. Maybe downloads.

23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

1000% agree. One of the best shows of 1973.

Ezzie and KCWhistle like this.
  24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

My guess is that they will be cherry picked for (RSD)vinyl. They won’t be rereleased on CD.

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, I don't know that I have a definitive answer for you, but Dark Star wasn't played again until 4/8/72 and over the course of the E'72 tour, where they did instrumental transitions to Sugar Magnolia, Wharf Rat, The Other One or Morning Dew. So, you may well be on to something.

Regarding Dylan covers, I've long had a tape of 12/1/79 second set, and there's a version of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue on it as a tack-on, and I never knew what show it was from. Not too long ago, I learned that it was from 12/31/84. Worth a listen, warts and all.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.