Grateful Dead documentary produced by Scorsese

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Complier

Complier Senior Member

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I have my doubts.
    The Harrison movie wasn't very good.
    The Last Waltz featured far too much of one band member and prejudiced the film, in my opinion.
    I know I expect too much because these films are almost always made for an audience that really knows almost nothing about the artist(s). The more you know about or appreciate a band, the more you are disappointed by the general pablum story that is told in these types of movies.

psubliminal likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm glad Scorsese is just listed as executive producer. After "Vinyl", I'm afraid the closer he is to a music project the less I'll like it.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

yep, they don't make these things to preach to the choir. They want a wide audience and that will likely mean a shallow dive into the content. probably more time spent on drugs than music.

5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Just like the band spent their time! :)

baconbadge likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I certainly opened the door for that one. Having been a fan for a very long time I really get upset with how the story has been told over the last ten years. That RS special edition that came out last year or so gave the first 19 pages to drug use. Sure that may make for more sell able copy but the band never sold a concert ticket or an album because they were high, it was the music. Drugs certainly influenced the music to a degree but you can get as high as you can for as long as you can and not be able to play a note on a guitar. Lurid and sad details of Jerry's sickness is just depressing, I don't need to hear that story. I also don't need to hear about how the bad the crowds were in the 90's with all the gutter punks. Give me unseen interviews, concert footage, talk about the creative process and stories from the road. Give me a glimpse back to what was an amazing time and help people understand the good that was happening. It was a uniquely american adventure that will never happen again, there is the story I want to see. Jerry nodding off in his easy chair with light cigarettes for days at a time is just a lame story.

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

As long as its constructed so the "peak" is around the middle of the second half, then we can all be recreationally blissful..:cool:

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I picked this DVD up a few years ago, it's by the people who do all the Under Review ones which are sort of lower budget and lots of talking heads and range from okay to excellent. I would give this a 7 out of 10 I guess, it could have had more to it. I'd rate the Classic Albums: From Anthem to Beauty as a 10 out of 10.

[​IMG]

I would reccomend the Under Reviews for Captain Beefheart, Sandy Denny, Nick Drake, Early David Bowie, the first two of The Byrds and The Rolling Stones as well (and in that order) if you don't pay more than issue price.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. R. Totale

I'll watch the whole thing, but I figured I'd be checking out around the middle of Part Two. Not too engaged post-Pigpen.

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I was referencing the psychedelic formula the GD used to structure their concerts around

11. R. Totale

I wasn't, but I'll bet the last two of the four parts as it's presented on AZ will be post-Pig and therefore less engaging.

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Not sure if this is the right thread, but this will raise the hairs and make the eyes water if you're so inclined
    Trailer

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Can't wait until next Friday! The reviews have been really strong. Between this and the new Roger Waters album, it'll be a busy Friday. Good thing I'm on vacation. ;)

15. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Amazon released this early so I was able to watch it tonight. It's as good as the reviews are indicating. Insightful, validating, funny as hell, and it'll make you cry if you're a fan.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Just finished Episode 1 - it was excellently done and worth the wait. Can't wait to watch the rest! I sure love the GD.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

I just started watching it and I don't want to stop. It's gonna be a long night. :cool:

This reminds me of how much I miss the band.

ianuaditis and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just finished watching the whole thing straight thru. Pretty good overall, nothing stood out to me as adding any extra insight into what I already knew - except for Part 6. Part 6 really touched my soul - with some previously little known facts (I knew some in a superficial manner) brought more into the light - especially long interview segments with a name you wouldn't think would feature so prominently in a modern day Grateful Dead Documentary.

One thing I felt, as I watched the end credits, even though this was supposed to be more of a Grateful Dead documentary, it felt more focused on the life of Jerry with the Grateful Dead - an homage of sorts to Garcia. (Not complaining about that, but just pointing out for me it put most of the focus of the 4 hours on Jerry.)

For obvious reasons (I guess), the movie focused the most on the core 4 (Jerry, Bobby, Bill and Mickey), while lightly touching upon Pigpen. Keith and Brent were merely a quick mention - while nothing was said of either Vince or Bruce at all. Was very glad they gave Donna some air time, since it seemed she was mostly left out of any "reunions" after Jerry died (save some appearances with Dead and Co last year).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    ianuaditis likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's the perfect length for Deadheads, however, since that's how long their concerts usually last.

mike65! likes this.
  20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I know I'm quoting myself here - but I meant to say core 5 - I left out Phil who was featured throughout the movie (how could I forget that).

ianuaditis and Olompali like this.
  21. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

This really needs to be watched in one go.

What did I get out of this documentary? In true Dead form, it was a story about the family...you, me, the band, and everyone who ever got touched in some way by the music. there were plenty of things that weren't talked about, or only glossed over briefly, but to do so would have bogged the story down and reduced it to a standard rock and roll documentary.
    There was nothing like a Dead show, and never will be. I count myself lucky that I was able to find myself at various times inhabiting many of the portions of the mandala spoken of so eloquently in the film, but the last two episodes were still, after all these years, emotionally difficult to watch. I think the documentary did a very good job of attempting to explain the immeasurable.

22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Finished all 6 parts. inspiring, fun, and lovingly well crafted. the doc managed to get at the essence of the GD and the big "what." I wouldn't say as a studied Head I learned a ton, but there was a bunch of footage i'd never seen and the sound design was well done. as with all the JG it was very emotive. been on a Beatles kick, but will be listening to the Dead all day now. I hope this gets a substantial blu ray release. I'm glad I got to experience the shows...

ianuaditis and trumpet sounds like this.
  23. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

So, I turned on the Grateful Dead station on Amazon Prime, and the very first song is Morning Dew from the 72 Lyceum show. I guess that's a sign that I have to listen to '72 Dead for the rest of the day!

ianuaditis and trumpet sounds like this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I thought the film was very well done. I would have been more than happy with 10 or 12 hour-long installments, since the time limitation meant that some pretty major information (three band members never even get a mention, Mickey's departure and return, the New Orleans bust, etc.) had to be left out.

I liked the rapid editing and/or audio overlay when two people were telling (more-or-less) the same story. I liked how the filmmakers cast some new light on songs by how and where they chose to use them ("Dear Mr. Fantasy" as a song relating to Jerry's burden, "Death Don't Have No Mercy" framing the whole tale, "Stella Blue" as a psychedelic residual that tries to bring some sense to the mind trip of "Space"). The Frankenstein theme was a risky choice, but one that paid off very well.

Was nice that the narrative wasn't limited to "the gravy train had to roll on", forcing Jerry to stay out on the road when that lifestyle was killing him. Phil's comment - that Jerry would likely have just gone out with JGB if they tried to take a hiatus for his well-being - is probably spot on.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just finished watching and it was visually excellent. The story they chose to tell (and not tell) was odd.

Pretty major stuff was left out but we do get parish doing nitrous and and a film crew that couldn't do their job because they were dosed yet no mention of starting their own record label, getting ripped off by mickys dad or Keith and Donna leaving the band.

Olompali, Complier and RayS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.