Grateful Dead fans; a lot of talk, but not much rock. Why is that?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omnisonic, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Don’t be inflammatory with your comments! ;)

SBegonias17 likes this.
  2. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I should have couched it in all sorts of conditionals and YMMV warnings:hide:

US Blues likes this.
  3. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

ianuaditis, bzfgt and trumpet sounds like this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

john lennonist, Ezzie, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Oh come on...you know it was that same damn bus load of fans every night!

Dominick, Frozensoda, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

that's one big bus! :wave:

jay.dee and lucan_g like this.
  7. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

In terms of bands obsessed over, the Dead are at the very top of the list because of the improvisational nature of their live shows and because most of it is readily available, for free or purchase.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The explanation lies on the concept of Hypnocracy.

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It's also because we forum heads keep the Dead threads to a relative minimum, as much as possible. The vast majority of the talk goes in the big thread, with separate threads really only for the annual subscription series and any other landmark or mainstream releases. I like it that way, so we don't have to bounce between thirty threads to keep up.

I've spent a lot of time on various forums over the years, the Dead folk here are, hands down, my favorites.

10. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I'm offended, etc.

I'm off.

P.S. :p

P.P.S. What was the point off this thread again?

P.P.P.S. Semi-good trolling attempt. But try the Beatles next time, OP. Deadheads are to lazy to reply and if they do, they will not get more than like passive in their aggro, dude.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

I agree with just about everything said in here so far, but especially this.

There is a lack of good GD discussion on the Internet. High quality discussion that is informed, respectful, and where even the headiest of Heads can and do learn something new on a regular basis. Pretty much all of my online discussion of the GD happens here. I peruse other forums but there’s nothing close to the caliber of the discussion that happens in that thread anywhere that I’ve found. For my part, that contributes to the quantity of posts in the thread.

I’ve been a regular here for many many years but rarely feel the need to post in threads other than that one.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The Grateful Thread is hands down the most pleasant place to share and argue on the forum, outside of the invariably mellow Listening to on Vinyl over in the Long and Winding Threads. Fights can get mock angry but virtually no one displays that Internet tendency to insult and stew in outrage. There's a core good humor and lack of the underlying aggro insecurity that's prevalent elsewhere, and a lot less interest in climbing up any greasy poll in the wider world of music fandom.

13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

"If there are people who find enough cultural furniture in the Grateful Dead outback, that's great with me. It's where I live." - Jerry Garcia

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Let's not forget the Un-Grateful Thread, another very friendly place. And I really mean it.

The Grateful Thread starter, ladies and gentlemen!

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

My theory, without reading others answer to this yet, is that 1. the fans aren't the most numerous, but are some of the most devoted; and 2. there's an awful lot to talk about, since there are so many live shows to listen to rather than, in the case of some bands, just a few albums or something.

16. BurtThomasWard

Worst. Thread. Ever.

ianuaditis, Doggiedogma and bzfgt like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm not a Dead fan, but I would think that Dead fans ought to be happy and somewhat proud that their band isn't involved in the sort of competitive wrangle that is wrought over damn near every other band in existence.

18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Is the OP afraid to come back?

Paperback Writer, jay.dee and KeninDC like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Only when you post, Norwegian troublemaker :wantsome:

20. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Vote on polls?

[​IMG]

Frozensoda likes this.
  21. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. BurtThomasWard

Twice an hour every day? Well, proves my point, duckface :biglaugh:

23. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead aren’t a really a ‘rock’ band, so that figures.

And they didn’t represent well in the studio. Even their best studio albums are more country-folk than rock, and aren't representative of their sound. I’d say their best ‘rock’ album is probably Live/Dead. Followed by their debut.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Agree completely. Grateful Dead fights take place on a spectrum (as are those of us who take part in them). It's like a whole bunch of OCD Skittle fanatics picking their favourite flavors. And then changing their minds 20 times a day. And then trying different flavor combinations. And then being amazed just looking at all the different colours. And then starting again.

Geee!, trumpet sounds, adamos and 8 others like this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.